Etiquette in visiting ED electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joaquin13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am just finishing my first visiting away EM elective. Is there any advice on what to do after the rotation ends, ie sending thank you cards? I want to send them a thank you card after I get home, but do I send it to the medical student coord, the program secretary, or just a generalized thank you note to everyone, etc? ANy other ideas? I want to make a good/lasting impression. Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

The best way to thank them would be to I send them cards saying that you hoped that they were all able to learn something from you, and that you felt underchallenged during your month there and perhaphs they should consider down grading their ED to an urgent care clinic.

You can personally hand each attending their card, and kick them right in the groin when you do it.

margaritaboy said:
The best way to thank them would be to I send them cards saying that you hoped that they were all able to learn something from you, and that you felt underchallenged during your month there and perhaphs they should consider down grading their ED to an urgent care clinic.

You can personally hand each attending their card, and kick them right in the groin when you do it.

Worked for me... :laugh:

I sent a thank you email to the PD and rotation coordinator.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else have any advice, ie emails vs. written cards, etc. Does it hurt you/help you? I am just wondering what everyone else did (all the successful EM PGY-1s!!!). Thanks for the advice, good idea to incorporate info from the interviews into the thank you note.

I didn't send any thank-you cards except for the person who wrote me the LOR. Make sure before you leave you got to atleast talk to the assistant PD or PD, just expressing your interest and that you will be applying. That's all you need to do, methinks.

And be sure to give everyone a good kick to the groin. That usually tops off a good thank you note.