Mar 15, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
Just had a few questions and wanted to get some opinions on an issue I am having. So far, I have been accepted into one of my top choices and would be thrilled to go there...however I am still waiting to hear back from my #1 choice who are still deliberating (interviews have already happened). My first question is: do schools have a deadline to tell us our status (accepted, waitlist, rejected), just like we have our April 15 deadline to notify them?

I'm mindful of the April 15th deadline, and feel awful keeping the place I got an offer on hold, but don't know what else to do, as I am still in the dark on this other school. I would feel terrible if I got in to my #1 place and then turned down the other offer, not giving them enough time to pick someone else off the waitlist.

Thanks!

psychnic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
Congratulations on your offer! Schools have an April 1 deadline for extending their initial offers. Keep in mind, however, that if they give the initial offer to another applicant, that applicant then has until April 15 to respond.

Feb 14, 2010
Status
Pre-Psychology
So basically, this cycle can be going on for a while longer...
So let me see if I got this right: If we havent heard back yet, or are on a waitlist, we can still hear way after April 1st. April 1st is only for the first round, and they have till the 15th to respond. A second round of letters can come on the 16th or later if there are spots open. How likely is it that there will be spots open after this point and what are the odds that someone will get in much later than, let's say, the 20th or 30th of April? Can this torment be going on until graduation?? :eek:

Featheredwyngs

7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2010
USA
Status
Psychology Student
So basically, this cycle can be going on for a while longer...
So let me see if I got this right: If we havent heard back yet, or are on a waitlist, we can still hear way after April 1st. April 1st is only for the first round, and they have till the 15th to respond. A second round of letters can come on the 16th or later if there are spots open. How likely is it that there will be spots open after this point and what are the odds that someone will get in much later than, let's say, the 20th or 30th of April? Can this torment be going on until graduation?? :eek:
I doubt it'd go on past May 1st for most schools, unless someone suddenly declines after accepting an offer due to personal reasons etc. Duke's graduate admission's Web site says for example: "In general, and unless otherwise indicated, we expect to hear back from you by April 15, or within 15 days of your receipt of the admission letter, whichever is later."

Sure that doesn't apply to all schools... but interesting nonetheless.

Jan 25, 2010
Status
I'm mindful of the April 15th deadline, and feel awful keeping the place I got an offer on hold, but don't know what else to do, as I am still in the dark on this other school. I would feel terrible if I got in to my #1 place and then turned down the other offer, not giving them enough time to pick someone else off the waitlist.
Understandable, but you certainly must not feel terrible for getting into your first choice and turning down other schools! Admittedly, I did have anxiety about declining offers when I got into my first choice, but at some point you have to realize you've worked hard for this and that your own best interests come first. Be respectful to and honest with other schools, but take the time you need. Think of it this way: that waitlisted person at the school from which you got an offer may have an offer from their second or third choice and may be waiting on their first choice to have an opening... it's a vicious cycle. Don't screw people over by holding onto 3 or 4 different offers, but if you still haven't heard from your #1, do what you need to do... hold out until you hear either 'yay' or 'nay' for sure.

I may get burned for that, but hey.

PsychPhDStudent

7+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2009
Status
Post Doc
There will be a flurry of "activity" and movement around offers/waitlists as April 15 nears, especially the 1st-10th, if that helps.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2009
Status
I have accepted an offer from School A. School B emailed me today to say that I have been put on a waitlist. I emailed school B to say that I already accepted an offer (so remove my name from the list). The DCT of school B emailed me to say the obligatory good luck and then asked where I was going and what sort of stipend I was receiving? Should I answer?

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
I have accepted an offer from School A. School B emailed me today to say that I have been put on a waitlist. I emailed school B to say that I already accepted an offer (so remove my name from the list). The DCT of school B emailed me to say the obligatory good luck and then asked where I was going and what sort of stipend I was receiving? Should I answer?
Often times DCTs want to figure out the who/what/how much is being offered by their competition. It can be helpful for future applicants, but it is up to you if you want to share your package.

OP
B
Mar 15, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
Thanks for everyone's responses! Guess I'm just going to have to hold tight!