ETSU-QCOM Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillpillman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is the official forum for anyone who has been accepted to East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine in Johnson City.

Is anyone also having to make the hard decision between UT-Memphis and ETSU-QCOM? UT-Memphis has all of the city's ups and downs; and ETSU-QCOM has all of the small town's ups and downs. It's really a hard decision. UT-Memphis has great oppurtunities to get your hands dirty, while ETSU-QCOM's small class size allows for more contact with instructors and doctors. Any input?

Also, I have a girlfriend following me to school (marriage potentially on the horizon) and I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent jobs in the area. She is a general business major with experience in corporate communications and marketing.

Congrats to all those accepted to med schools, Class of 2013!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratz to everyone who has been accepted. I was pretty excited to get in here b/c it seemed like a really nice enviroment/nice people/ ect. I know what you are saying chillpillman. I was unsure how much experience as far as hands on stuff would be available. I've spent alot of time talking to docs about this kind of stuff. I currently work as a scribe for an ER and get to talk to loads of docs and UT residents in the Memphis area. They have all said that residency placement is mostly based on your score on the USMLE and how high you place in your class. they also say that in your residency is when clinical experience/opportunities are far far more important. I don't know how much you know about the hosptial system in Memphis but from what I've seen/heard its not that great at all. That with the fact that UT is in a serious getto part of town at this point there is no way I would go to UT even though I have 3-4 friends from college there/going there.

I guess to each his own however because I have known people that would easily choose UT over ETSU. In the end I'm sure both give you a good chance at a good residency. I will say that at the 10 or so schools I've interviewed at this year both UT and ETSU had somewhat below average residency placements as a function of % that got into top choice. On the other side both schools put people into very competitive residencies so anything is possible at both schools

Congratulations on your acceptances. The hard part is over.

I'm a 1st year at Quillen now and would be happy to answer any questions if or when they come up.

Good luck on your decisions

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on getting in guys. I'm an M1 here at Quillen and liking it a lot so far. If you have a problem with Martin Prince, you can message me your questions instead.

Last edited:
Hey everybody, my names David and I got my acceptance letter Friday :D!! I'm very excited to have been accepted. I guess I will be meeting all of you come July 28! Can't wait!

Hey everybody, my names David and I got my acceptance letter Friday :D!! I'm very excited to have been accepted. I guess I will be meeting all of you come July 28! Can't wait!

I am in too! Hey David- what is going on July 28th? I haven't received any notification of specific events like the White Coat Ceremony.

I am in too! Hey David- what is going on July 28th? I haven't received any notification of specific events like the White Coat Ceremony.

According to ETSU home page, the July 28th is the first day of new student orientation.

Hi! Everyone!!! I got accepted Feb 25th (I think thats the right date...lol) !!! An I'm anticipating starting class too, but to answer Studebug question...the White Coat Ceremony is Aug 1st, that Saturday before classes, i'm pretty sure...

Hi guys congrats on acceptance to QCOM.

I am a rising 4th year pharmacy student at UNC. I am from Johnson City and we have a house for rent there that is close to ETSU. I posted an ad in the classifieds here on SDN: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=615165

Let me know if you are interested. :thumbup:

Hey guys. I hope youre looking forward to next year. First year has been a blast. If any of yall are looking for a place to live next year, I have an apartment that I'll be vacating in Pleasant View. It's number 104 on the new construction side. My lease is up June 30, but I'm trying to arrange to get out May 31 if the landlord will let me. Let me know if you're interested. You're even welcome to stop by and check it out if you're in town.

David

Hey guys, sorry about the ad listing..... but I'm about to be a 3rd year med student @ ETSU and I'm looking for a 3rd roommate in a 3bed/3bath house. The house is only 1 year old with back porch, office, laundry room, beautiful view in a quiet neighborhood just minutes from school (about 4 miles).
$450 month + 1/3 utilities. Email if interested....... [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Seeing as they currently have 80 accepted and are only admitting 60, what are they going to do if 20 people don't drop their slots?

Anybody know of a place to rent? I am looking for a place with at least 2 bedrooms and a fenced yard that will allow me to have my dog. Preferably, within five miles of campus so I can ride my bike to school. I would also like a garage, but it is not a requirement. If anybody knows of a place please let me know. I will see all of you on the 28th!!

Does anybody know what form we need to use for our physicals? According to the website "You must obtain a physical examination dated after your acceptance to medical school. The current physical examination form must be used and forwarded to the Office of Student Affairs. Please note that a statement from your physician stating that he/she examined you and found you to be in good health is not sufficient." What is the current physical examination form and where can I find one? Thanks!

So, my wife told me that we missed the mailman, and he left a notice to go pick up a certified letter from Johnson City. I am assuming this is good news?

So, my wife told me that we missed the mailman, and he left a notice to go pick up a certified letter from Johnson City. I am assuming this is good news?

From what I understand that is awesome news. Congratulations.

Does anyone have any insight to the specifics of the new class schedule?

Last I checked the 2008-2009 class schedule was still posted on their website.

I talked with a pediatrician friend of mine. She is a Quillen grad and resident just a few years out. I loved her description of medical school....

Medical School is like trying to drink water from a fire hydrant. :laugh:

Hi everyone!

I just got accepted off the waitlist and I am now scrambling to buy a house! If anyone knows of anything within biking distance (3mi) to JCMC/Quillen, please PM me.

Thanks a bunch and see you for orientation!

Meg

no, not yet. I talked to Amanda in the office and she said more info would come once I had been processed so far. She did tell me to have all of my transcripts sent to Quillen and to get a complete physical.

Jonesboro is about 10 min away and seems nice.

You really can't go wrong there. It is close to the school and is a great little area. It is also convenient to all of the tri-cities area. (not that it will benefit you much with as busy as you will be but the wife will enjoy it :laugh:)

My wife and I are in the process of closing on a house in Jonesborough, beautiful area and extremely convenient. Our realtor actually lives in that area as well, which seems like a pretty solid endorsement to me.

I know this is a common theme between the two, but how does one choose between such different environments with such similar statistics?
To be perfectly honest, I'm really leaning towards UT because I have more done (financial aid, parking, etc.) but then again, ETSU's campus is so pleasant and safe.
One thing that does worry me about ETSU is Dr. Feit. He was my interviewer and because of him I got a really bad impression of the school. For those of you there now, how does he rate as a professor? And, how often do you actually get to explore those mountains?

I know this is a common theme between the two, but how does one choose between such different environments with such similar statistics?
To be perfectly honest, I'm really leaning towards UT because I have more done (financial aid, parking, etc.) but then again, ETSU's campus is so pleasant and safe.
One thing that does worry me about ETSU is Dr. Feit. He was my interviewer and because of him I got a really bad impression of the school. For those of you there now, how does he rate as a professor? And, how often do you actually get to explore those mountains?

I have lived here all my life. It is extremely convenient to snow ski and go white water rafting. There are all "grades" of rafting trips if that is your thing. I wouldn't let one professor sway your decision. Earlier in the thread several current students posted. Just PM them with specific questions regarding your concerns. I have emailed them and they were very quick to reply and very informative. I am looking forward to finding out who my big sib will be! :) Hope to see you around Quillen! ;)

Hi guys! I just joined the site, but was accepted into Quillen in January. I am looking for another med student as a roommate for next year to share my new house! The house is a beautiful, newly renovated home on East Chestnut ("Tree Streets" ) in Johnson City. It has 9 rooms, including 3BR, 2B, updated kitchen with lots of cabinet space, bonus room, great room, office, breakfast room, fireplace, porch, etc. Conveniently located to ETSU, QUILLEN, and JCMC. Everything was redone in this house 2 years ago, so the inside is brand new! $475/month including cable and internet. Electricity, gas, and water (basic utilities) will be split between the two of us. Email me ASAP at [email protected] for more information.

Does anyone know what to expect during orientation? Is there a schedule somewhere?

I have looked and as of now there is no schedule. I am sure they will be sending us one via e-mail soon. I know that it starts July 28, there is a BBQ sometime, and the white coat ceremony is August 1.

I'm down with having an orientation fiesta! I should sign a lease on a house in a couple of days. I'll be moving to JC around July 15th if anyone else is coming in then.

Also,

I talked to Doug in admissions and found out that the White Coat Ceremony has been moved to July 31st.

I'm moving into my apt July 15th. I'm up for a fiesta with any of you guys after that. Just let me know. :horns::D:thumbup:

"One thing that does worry me about ETSU is Dr. Feit. He was my interviewer and because of him I got a really bad impression of the school. For those of you there now, how does he rate as a professor? And, how often do you actually get to explore those mountains?[/QUOTE]"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr Feit? Don't worry about him. In my opinion, he ends up being one of the cooler professors we have. He was always available out of class for additional help if needed and I thought he was an excellent teacher. Even if you don't like him, you'll only see him for a week or so in the fall in anatomy and maybe two weeks in the spring in phys. It's quite handy to have a cardiothoracic surgeon wandering around the anatomy lab.

I could see an interview with him being tough, but he's only been a positive for me.

Yah, I'm a 3rd year and I liked Dr. Feit... He knows his stuff backwards and forwards and he enjoys teaching. He DOES however find somwway to relate EVERYTHING to the heart... Ingrown toenail? Well... what if an infection starts up and then it goes...

He does like to ask questions though, and "I don't know" will earn you a half smile followed by "yes you do" and a looooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnng silence... ;)

Can anyone who has been to this let us know what the dress code is or what to expect?

Also, when do we find out who our big sib will be?

Dress code is "clothing" except any day you see "patients ie: actors that help train you" when you wear dressy clothes.

Can anyone who has been to this let us know what the dress code is or what to expect?

Also, when do we find out who our big sib will be?

expect wine and cheese, a couple of medical associations trying to get to you sign up (TMA, AMA, etc), maybe a brief speech or two. I believe it was slacks and a tie for guys, cocktail dress(ish) for women. It's nothing great, but if you're meeting classmates anyway, you might as well have some free drinks while you're at it.

Tomorrow is moving day! Johnson City here I come! :D:thumbup: See you all soon!

Congrats to all.
I am a 4th year and will be staying for residency.
1. If you are still deciding between UT and ETSU I can say you can’t go wrong coming to ETSU; it has been a great place to be a student with no shortage of variety in patients and always enough patients to go around. We hardly ever compete with residents or other students for procedures and often get to be part of really cool stuff. The outdoors here can’t be beat and there is time to enjoy them. This is a safe environment so you need not fear the late night walk to your car. Cost of living is really cheap and there are great restaurants here and not too far away in Ashville along with art galleries and big name music concerts.

2. Dr Feit is one of the best teachers I have worked with. He volunteers his time and is very good at teaching. He is also well known for being hard on interviews and that is for the purpose of getting good candidates. He does not act the same in other settings (interviews are hard – not there to make you feel good).

3. Orientation – offers what it promises. You will be oriented to the facilities, your class mates, schedule, opportunities out of class, and various organizations that will make your life easier and more interesting. It’s a fun week where you get fed almost every day and you have very little responsibility.

4. Fiesta – there will be a plenty. In fact if there are a bunch of you in town starting to get situated I am happy to have you over for a little gathering – just say when.

Good Luck and enjoy this time until classes start. It is your vacation.
You may contact me directly with any questions or concerns.