Euphemism for RF ablation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ligament

Interventional Pain Management
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My current pitch is:

"I'll use radio waves to melt a small section of the nerve transmitting your pain."

In place of "melt" i've experimented with burn/fry/cook/cut/eliminate/ablate/coagulate.

I can't say "melt" is the best, but seems to work best when I say it.

Do you guys have any better ways to pitch this to the patient in a benign fashion?

Members don't see this ad.

I "Zap" it. Sounds better than "burning" something.

Members don't see this ad :)
burn or cauterize... sometimes i say KILL, PERMANENTLY DEADEN, DESTROY, MAIM, ANNIHILATE.

DESENSITIZE

but i like deactivate

I find it so fascinating how many people are totally OK with the phrase "burning the nerve"

It doesn't matter what I say, somehow the patients are always convinced I'm using lasers.

"PERMANENTLY DEADEN" sounds good!

heat the nerve with the Same wattage as a night light sounds good!

"permanently turn off" might be best...???

"PERMANENTLY DEADEN" sounds good!

heat the nerve with the Same wattage as a night light sounds good!

"permanently turn off" might be best...???

Is it permanent? :shrug:

I have found that, whatever I say, they come back having been told by others that the nerve will be burned. I find it easier to tell them that that is a word they will hear, but then reassure them that there will be no flames involved

I tend to describe it as "buzz" the nerve

Last edited:
I tell them I ablate the nerve - when they ask what that means, I explain that I cauterize the nerve - then they ask what that means, I explain that I zap the nerve - then they ask what that means, I explain that I burn the nerve...

at which point they smile, and say good - "I want that "sucker" burned."

I tell them I ablate the nerve - when they ask what that means, I explain that I cauterize the nerve - then they ask what that means, I explain that I zap the nerve - then they ask what that means, I explain that I burn the nerve...

at which point they smile, and say good - "I want that "sucker" burned."

:laugh:

Many of my patients also say, "Good, burn the crap outta that sucker!" Then again, they are all vets so take that for what it's worth

no matter what you say, all they hear is "you are going to put a knife into my spinal cord and burn a hole into it"

Ive tried microwave out a few times rather than burn.