European Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScenicRoute

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a Post Bacc student and I am in the process of finishing up my pre-med requirements. I am at the point where I am looking for medical schools to apply. I am born in Italy and have Italian/EU citizenship but I did not grow up or go to school in Italy, rather here in the US. The thought has crossed my mind to maybe look into going to an Italian Medical university, especially if I can't get in the US.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with applying to European universities as a post-bacc and if that is in any way possible to begin with considering their strict schooling systems that often don't allow deviation.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First, take everything I say with a grain of salt as I am basing this on research and not actual knowledge. I am an African-American with dual EU and African citizenship and as such the EU is appealing to me also. I do not, however, speak any foreign languages that would be useful in the EU.

From my research, the following schools and programs are worthwhile looking into (have a track record of sending kids back to the US):
- Poznan (Poland)
- Charles University (Czech Republic)
- Jagiellonian (Poland)

Of course, there are the extremely well regarding Western European universities like the Royal College of Surgeons (in Ireland), but they are as competitive as the US schools.

I would look over the California list and target schools that you may be interested in based on that list.

Hello! I am a Post Bacc student and I am in the process of finishing up my pre-med requirements. I am at the point where I am looking for medical schools to apply. I am born in Italy and have Italian/EU citizenship but I did not grow up or go to school in Italy, rather here in the US. The thought has crossed my mind to maybe look into going to an Italian Medical university, especially if I can't get in the US.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with applying to European universities as a post-bacc and if that is in any way possible to begin with considering their strict schooling systems that often don't allow deviation.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to Charles University and we did have a post-bacc student in the first year, but for some reason, he quit after the first semester (I think in his case, the prospect of doing a 6 year medical program when he's 40 might not have been all that encouraging).

Other than that, we do have quite a few students who've entered after having finished college (most of these guys are the US/Canada/UK students).

Last edited:
If you speak Italian, check into Bologna, they've had some U.S. educated students go there for M.D. Since you have EU citizenship, it makes things a lot easier cost wise. Malta is an option, Warwick and a handful of UK schools have 4 year programs, Ireland does as well. They are particular about you having completed a degree though and gpa is calculated only on courses that were part of your degree (not courses you've taken after to boost your gpa). It's easy and cheap to apply so I would give it a try.

Thanks for your advice guys! I do speak Italian...I am not the greatest at it, but I am sure I would pick it up quickly once forced to. I will go ahead and look into Bologna and possibly the other schools in UK since the primary language is English.

I am just concerned since I am 32 and did not go through the Italian school systems that I will not have a chance...but it sounds as if I am most definitely not the only one who has tried this path so I will add it to my list!

@7starmantis - I agree it is probably more difficult these days to practice in the US as a FMG, but it seems to be getting almost impossible these days to get into medical school if you aren't 22 yrs old with a biomedical degree and don't have a 4.0 and exceptional scores on the MCAT. :)