European PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennigold

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find information about European clinical psych phd programs that are APA accredited? I searched apa.org but couldn't find anything. Thanks!
Jen

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where I can find information about European clinical psych phd programs that are APA accredited? I searched apa.org but couldn't find anything. Thanks!
Jen

I doubt they will. The APA only accredits US programs. They use to accredit Canadian programs, but the APA and CPA decided to not do this anymore.

-t

So what happens for a person who gets a Ph.D. outside the US (and Canada) puts wants to practice here?

I know a lot of M.D.'s do this...

Respecialization Diploma??

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it all falls on that person than to prove that their degree is equivalent to an APA program. Which may or may not be a giant pain in the ass depending on the degree, country, whether or not the people reviewing it had their coffee yet that morning, etc.

Haven't looked into it, but I'm sure there ARE ways to get licensed with a degree from outside the US, but you may be limited in terms of states you can practice in, and it may be an annoying and difficult process. It amazes me that licensing boards can be as rough as they are on people from other countries when APA has set the bar so low for programs here they clearly don't give two craps about programs in this country.

Ollie-- interestingly, many foreign accreditation associations intentionally set up more strict accreditation requirements, with the idea being that the program should exceed American requirements in order to make it possible for professionals to have some mobility.

I'm going through this process right now with my MA. I did my degree in Australia and I live back in Canada now. I had to send my completed transcript to a service called International Qualification Assessment Service which specialized in assessing degrees done overseas.

I am sure that there are such organizations in the States that do the same thing.

If you do go overseas, make sure to compare the program that you are going to take to several in the States to make sure that they are 'substantially similar'. That would include courses in stats, ethics and research methods as well as the appropriate number of supervised clinical hours.

I was accepted into both a Clinical Ph.D program and DPsyc-Clinical program but switched to the Masters because it wasn't similar enough to the Ph.D's in Canada. However, I do believe that my Master's was more rigorous than the ones here, except I might have to do a Canadian ethics class.

Anyway, do your research really well. Programs in the UK are usually very reputable so you should be mostly safe.