Euthanasia Question During Interview... HELP

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fuzzywuz, May 8, 2008.

1. fuzzywuz

Pre-Medical
    Hey all,

So this was the question "Do you SUPPORT euthanasia?"

Based on the phrasing of the question, I guess the interviewer was asking me if I would SUPPORT it, not if I would carry it out. I know that this practice is only legal in one state. However, when answering that question, I replied yes. I provided a reasonable explanation and was able to back up my opinion and philosophy of why I support it.

Obviously, with questions like this, it can be quite controversial. My question is...

1) This is an opinion question right? There are no right or wrong answers right? A good answer is one that gives your answer and backing it up with reasoning that shows professionalism and maturity?

2) Would it be detrimental to me if I answer yes? I guess I ask this because I'm just worried that the interviewer would have a different opinion from me.

Note: This was a interview with my LOR writer (premed committee)

Any ideas?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ella Shepherd

Ella Shepherd Screen. Stage. Studio.

Pre-Medical
    Then you don't need to worry. :)

Yes. Yes. Yes. :)

I don't think so. If you were able to support your answer well, then you don't need to worry so much. As I understand, you answered professionally and with maturity. Your interviewer respects you for that. :)

4. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality

Medical Student
    Agree with above post

Especially with the color coding. One of the distinct marks of a premed. Too bad they don't have the option to highlight your posts ;)

5. Ella Shepherd

Ella Shepherd Screen. Stage. Studio.

Pre-Medical
    lol :laugh:

6. kypdurron5

Resident [Any Field]
    Obviously it's a personal question. However, I don't really think there's a distinction between "do you support" and "would you engage in" (if legal). One without the other is just hypocritical. In answering a question like this I would have to make a distinction between active, physician-assisted suicide, and the passive withdraw of medical care for the terminally ill (which is a legal form of euthanasia). I think a small minority of physicians admittedly support the former, but most support the latter. There's a rather thick line between ending someone's life, and allowing nature to take its course without further intervention.

7. bigDee

bigDee Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    No.

8. edfig99

Physician Faculty

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    or you can answer "of course I support youth in asia. I also support youth in africa, latin america and the u.s."

9. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member

Medical Student
    Umm...yes. It's legal.

10. fuzzywuz

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm relieved...

11. kypdurron5

Resident [Any Field]
    You are completely incorrect and have no idea what you're talking about....but please, feel free to elaborate on your one-word response.