Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Euthanasia Question During Interview... HELP

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by fuzzywuz, May 8, 2008.

1. fuzzywuz

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey all,

So this was the question "Do you SUPPORT euthanasia?"

Based on the phrasing of the question, I guess the interviewer was asking me if I would SUPPORT it, not if I would carry it out. I know that this practice is only legal in one state. However, when answering that question, I replied yes. I provided a reasonable explanation and was able to back up my opinion and philosophy of why I support it.

Obviously, with questions like this, it can be quite controversial. My question is...

1) This is an opinion question right? There are no right or wrong answers right? A good answer is one that gives your answer and backing it up with reasoning that shows professionalism and maturity?

2) Would it be detrimental to me if I answer yes? I guess I ask this because I'm just worried that the interviewer would have a different opinion from me.

Note: This was a interview with my LOR writer (premed committee)

Any ideas?

2. Ella Shepherd

Ella Shepherd Screen. Stage. Studio.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Then you don't need to worry. :)

Yes. Yes. Yes. :)

I don't think so. If you were able to support your answer well, then you don't need to worry so much. As I understand, you answered professionally and with maturity. Your interviewer respects you for that. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Agree with above post

Especially with the color coding. One of the distinct marks of a premed. Too bad they don't have the option to highlight your posts ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Ella Shepherd

Ella Shepherd Screen. Stage. Studio.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lol :laugh:

5. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Obviously it's a personal question. However, I don't really think there's a distinction between "do you support" and "would you engage in" (if legal). One without the other is just hypocritical. In answering a question like this I would have to make a distinction between active, physician-assisted suicide, and the passive withdraw of medical care for the terminally ill (which is a legal form of euthanasia). I think a small minority of physicians admittedly support the former, but most support the latter. There's a rather thick line between ending someone's life, and allowing nature to take its course without further intervention.

6. bigDee

bigDee Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No.

7. edfig99

Physician Faculty 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Academic Administration
    or you can answer "of course I support youth in asia. I also support youth in africa, latin america and the u.s."

8. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Umm...yes. It's legal.

9. fuzzywuz

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm relieved...

10. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You are completely incorrect and have no idea what you're talking about....but please, feel free to elaborate on your one-word response.