Step I Euvolemic hypernatremia?? In Gojian

Started by K Niner
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

K Niner

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In Rapid Review Goljian says in the situation where TBNa remains constant and TBW is decreased you have a euvolemic hypernatremia. Why is this called "euvolemic" if you have what I assume to be a loss of fluids?

Is this assuming that you intake water to maintain your fluids? Please explain thanks!!

(On page 98 section 4 c in Rapid Review pathology 4th edition)
 
Just recalling from my renal class, SIADH and DI are always euvolemic. I think this is an example of DI.
When you lose TBW --> POsm and serum Na+ are increased (euvolemic hypernatremia).

Both compartments are contracted but ECF contraction is mild, because there is no loss of Na+