"Evaluation" type questions on verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA|FCB|DOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed I seemed to have difficulty with this question type. Kaplan categorizes them as the questions where you have to evaluate the auhtor's argument to see why he put something in the passage or how/if he supported it. I seem to have problems with these where they ask "the support for blah blah blah is...." Or the quote "blah blah blah" was put in the passage in order to... If anyone has these questions as their strong points, could you please explain how you usually approach them? What is your strategy? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Both of these questions again lead to determining the main idea. However, Kaplan tests this weirdly and most likely in a context that requires you to refer back to a particular part of the passage. Do not get frustrated if you are not getting it right on Kaplan. Wait till you get to the AAMCs to really see if these questions are giving you "real" trouble as they will be worded by the real test makers.

Both of these questions again lead to determining the main idea. However, Kaplan tests this weirdly and most likely in a context that requires you to refer back to a particular part of the passage. Do not get frustrated if you are not getting it right on Kaplan. Wait till you get to the AAMCs to really see if these questions are giving you "real" trouble as they will be worded by the real test makers.

Sorry, yea to clarify I am just using the Kaplan classification of the question type, but this question type does actually get me on the AAMC and TPRH passages sometimes. Do you mean the main idea of the entire passage or the point of the specific paragraph that the phrase is situated in? Thanks

Sorry, yea to clarify I am just using the Kaplan classification of the question type, but this question type does actually get me on the AAMC and TPRH passages sometimes. Do you mean the main idea of the entire passage or the point of the specific paragraph that the phrase is situated in? Thanks

For quote questions (if they appear on the aamc) I would refer only to the portion that has the quote and keep the main idea in the back of my mind simultaneously.

For support questions, I would primarily rely on the main idea to see which of the four answer choices best fits the main idea.

I believe the quote are more "detailed" as kaplan would say and the support are more "global." But Kaplan may test support questions as you refer to them in a "detailed" fashion, so if you are ussing AAMC, try to use the main idea to answer the support questions and the quote questions, though keeping in mind the quote questions is probably best answered by a particular part of the passage that still builds on the main idea.

For quote questions (if they appear on the aamc) I would refer only to the portion that has the quote and keep the main idea in the back of my mind simultaneously.

For support questions, I would primarily rely on the main idea to see which of the four answer choices best fits the main idea.

I believe the quote are more "detailed" as kaplan would say and the support are more "global." But Kaplan may test support questions as you refer to them in a "detailed" fashion, so if you are ussing AAMC, try to use the main idea to answer the support questions and the quote questions, though keeping in mind the quote questions is probably best answered by a particular part of the passage that still builds on the main idea.

I see, thank you for your input!