Even bother studying for Bio section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Bad idea. 13 questions is a lot. I think you could probably get a 10 without studying much and just using prior knowledge (assuming you've got a good background), but in order to get a high score, you need to know the minutiae.

Not sure if every mcat was like the practice one i took but most everything you needed to answer the questions were given in the passage...If thats the case I don't really see the point in studying hardcore for bio. Obvi, there are what like 13 discrete questions but thats it..

thoughts?

Study for Bio. You will run into passages that make absolutely 0 sense and you'll need to go on background knowledge to answer questions correctly. It is imperative that you study. Also, spend time on Orgo. It can make or break a BS section.

Did I mention study bio?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if every mcat was like the practice one i took but most everything you needed to answer the questions were given in the passage...If thats the case I don't really see the point in studying hardcore for bio. Obvi, there are what like 13 discrete questions but thats it..

thoughts?

Do you want to get the highest score you can get on every section of the MCAT? Then study every section.

I actually laughed out loud when I read the title of this thread. Not in a good way. Study.

Review bio and study hardcore orgo IMO.

Having just taken the MCAT, I feel like I overstudied for Orgo. While it can make or break the Bio section, the Orgo that is included is quite remedial. Know your basics and focus on intricacies in your Biology studies.

Having just taken the MCAT, I feel like I overstudied for Orgo. While it can make or break the Bio section, the Orgo that is included is quite remedial. Know your basics and focus on intricacies in your Biology studies.

Can you elaborate on "intricacies"?

The orgo on your test isn't necessarily representative of the orgo on every other test. Look at the topics list, not all of it is "remedial", at least in my opinion.

I've always said that there's enough organic on there to ruin your score. And I hope I've overstudied for every damn subject, personally.

Can you elaborate on "intricacies"?

Most of Bio is "Big picture"ish, but sometimes they can hit you where it hurts if you aren't prepared. Certain anatomy comes to mind, intermediates of metabolism, etc are all fair game.

Most of Bio is "Big picture"ish, but sometimes they can hit you where it hurts if you aren't prepared. Certain anatomy comes to mind, intermediates of metabolism, etc are all fair game.

that's what im saying..so i figured u shouldnt have to focus as much on bio versus other sections.

The orgo on your test isn't necessarily representative of the orgo on every other test. Look at the topics list, not all of it is "remedial", at least in my opinion.

I've always said that there's enough organic on there to ruin your score. And I hope I've overstudied for every damn subject, personally.

not gonna lie, i took some practice orgo problems and they were pretty much nothing like what I learned in class..

What study matierals did you use for orgo??

Review bio and study hardcore orgo IMO.

^this

Do you want to get the highest score you can get on every section of the MCAT? Then study every section.
Complacency ftw!

:thumbup:

We're agreeing more and more often, Mehd. :)

Know all the facts for BS.
Practice thinking critically with the material.
You may be lucky if only 1 Orgo passage shows up on your exam.If 2 or 3 show up,you're screwed.If you have a basic understanding of orgo,you should not be losing careless points as the questions tend to be easy.