Even hospital pharmacy isn't safe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GravityBeetle

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the third time in the past six months now I have heard about older pharmacists getting "fired" or laid off so that they can replace them with cheaper new grads. OR, ID, and NC. Yes I'm a newer grad so maybe I shouldn't be worried but I'm thinking about the longevity of this career and it's not looking too bright right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For the third time in the past six months now I have heard about older pharmacists getting "fired" or laid off so that they can replace them with cheaper new grads. OR, ID, and NC. Yes I'm a newer grad so maybe I shouldn't be worried but I'm thinking about the longevity of this career and it's not looking too bright right now.

I have seen this for a few years. On the other hand, I met a young PIC at a hospital that got his buddy a retired aged 50 something retail pharmacist hired at a hospital inpatient position. I think the older hospital pharmacists are vulnerable because of the higher wages they may get. It comes down to how important you are to the person that decides the hiring and firing. The way other careers get around this issue is to come up with creative ways to prevent this discrimination. I'm not sure how you could do that as a hospital pharmacist.

No one in area of pharmacy is safe whether you're a new grad or nearing retirement age. Even some new grad residency trained pharmacists are unable to find jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully you are saving every dollar you are making. You need to save up because you may be jobless very soon and then you may be homeless if you do not have enough funds.

I currently work for the biggest system in NC. We do not lay off or fire people based on age. For the most parts, we have competency to ensure our pharmacist stay competent. However, we still have a few older and less competent pharmacists on staff which we struggle to get rid of them. HR always cautions us regarding negative publicities and age discrimination.

Another system in the same city uses a different strategy. They have laid off their pharmacist and technicians every few years to keep people on their toes. About 7 years ago, they let go 50% of their clinical pharmacist to pay for the Epic upgrades in the department. Which they rehired these positions a few years later.

I listed the two different approaches to stress that lay off is not a general trend in hospital setting. In fact, Our system struggle to hire people. We have just posted 8 positions ranging from oncology pharmacist to clinical coordinators.

Unlike retail pharmacy, payroll usually are not part of annual budget or monthly variance process. Most hospital systems utilize hours worked vs productivities as benchmark. Percentage of wage increase typically are build in as overall system budget calculation. Thus, I do not see hospitals using age as determining factor to get rid of people. In fact, hospital system likely to base any layoffs on seniority which new hires are likely to go first.

My final point: pharmacists in hospitals environment are better insulated against market condition, and age discrimination are much less observed.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I am working for the biggest system in NC. We struggle to hire the right people in specific areas. We do not lay off or fire people based on age. We do have standards to make sure each person is competent. Reality is that we have a lot of older and incompetent pharmacists on staff who we will never get rid off due to fear if negative publicities.
Another system across the city fire their people every few years to keep people on their toes. Last time they fired clinical pharmacists to pay for the Epic upgrades. Laying off is not a hospital thing, it is more geared toward specific system operational directions. Most of the decent system will not let go of people who are simply older. Everything is based on budget, so 2% wage increase is budgeted that no one gives a damn.

SOMEthing is not adding up about this reply. In addition EPIC is slowly driving peeps insane..In ANY case The pharmacy trade is trending hopeless....

Last edited by a moderator:

With over 4500 new residency trained PGY1's (and increasing) being added into the labor pool every year, this should come as no surprise.

SOMEthing is not adding up about this reply..Are you ESL?...In addition EPIC is slowly driving peeps insane..In ANY case The pharmacy trade is trending hopeless....
Consider yourself lucky that you are on EPIC. I came from a hospital that was on EPIC and its by far the best system. I am on Cerner now which is terrible.

Reactions: 1 users
SOMEthing is not adding up about this reply..Are you ESL?...In addition EPIC is slowly driving peeps insane..In ANY case The pharmacy trade is trending hopeless....

Thank you for the feedback, I have made corrections.

I agree that pharmacy trade is trending down.
Two points:
In general, hospital setting is still better for pharmacists than retail. Opportunities exist and experiences are valued.
No one is trying to do a damn thing about the trend.

I have never worked retail so I cant comment on that area. Hospital is the way to go

The 4500 PGY1 grads/year come out of the roughly 15,000 pharmacy school grads each year, or nearly 1/3.

There are not enough hospital or other clinical positions for all the PGY1 grads, and as we all know there are not enough pharmacist positions overall for the 15,000 students that graduate from pharmacy school each year.

You can't just pledge to "stand out" thinking you'll be safe. If you decide to go to pharmacy school the odds are overwhelmingly stacked against you; it's a huge gamble at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
2 staff positions and 2 clinical ED positions available at my current hospital. And one PRN spot