Evening degree programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SevoInduction

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in Atlanta, and the choices for evening classes are pretty slim. I'm taking pre-reqs at a CC right now (GPC), but I'm looking into what to do to finish my degree.

Oglethorpe has this program: http://www.oglethorpe.edu/Admission/evening_degree_program/

Basically you can get a Bachelor of Arts in Liberal studies or a BBA degree in 16 months. It's really expensive though, and I'm not sure how ADCOMs might look at a program like that.

I'm also looking at Georgia Gwinnett College.. It looks like they offer a fair amount of evening classes..

Has anyone done a program like that or is currently in a program that's similar to what Oglethorpe is offering?

Members don't see this ad.

I am from the Atlanta area...

Ogelthorpe is a great school. I honestly can't imagine that someone would care how long it took you to finish your degree or the type of program it was. Ogelthorpe is a really tough, liberal arts school that I at least really respect, and I'm sure others would as well. As long as you finish your pre-reqs, I can't imagine it being a problem.

Georgia Gwinnett is newer...I can't say I have a good opinion on that one. I am more familiar with Ogelthorpe, although I do know firsthand that GG inherited a lot of professors from the old GPC campus that used to be there.

Get your four-year degree. Do your pre-reqs. Rock the MCAT. I think however you get this done is a personal decision in the nontrad world, but study something you love.

I'll tell you what I did. I got the pre-reqs done + a second degree at UGA. They are a powerhouse for putting people into medical school. It is a serious system there. If you can swing that - do it. I had a great experience.

Good luck!

PS - I commuted an hour to go to UGA (for 2.5 years), so that can be done and successfully also if you are interested in investigating that option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response. One of my biggest concerns with the Oglethorpe evening program is the lack of any advanced science courses, which means all of my science classes would be from GPC..

I wish I could go to UGA, but I live in Buckhead and there's just no way I could make that commute.

I'm also in Atlanta, currently taking post-bacc courses at GPC before I transfer to Agnes Scott's post-bacc.

Doesn't Georgia State offer a lot of courses over the weekend and evening? Also you might be able to take advantage of something in the Arche program : http://www.atlantahighered.org/

Yea, I would say Georgia State. The school was designed for non-trads, people with jobs and families and other commitments. They have tons of night and weekend courses, yet are a fairly well-respected research university. You'd have a good chance of taking prereqs and reinforcing things (and padding your app) by signing on to do some labwork.

Yea, I would say Georgia State. The school was designed for non-trads, people with jobs and families and other commitments. They have tons of night and weekend courses, yet are a fairly well-respected research university. You'd have a good chance of taking prereqs and reinforcing things (and padding your app) by signing on to do some labwork.

Well I called GA State last year and spoke to an advisor in the biology department. I asked her if they offered evening classes to fulfill a Biology degree and she said "very few."

Are there other majors offered there that have a better night/weekend offering? The psych advisor pretty much told me the same thing as the biology advisor regarding the psych program.

Last edited: