Ever reported a pharmacy or pharmacist to a state board of pharmacy?

Started by mike36
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mike36

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if it is worth the trouble. Here is what happened. I had bronchitis last week, and decided to get my scripts filled at CVS (tussionex, benzonatate, zpak). Normally I go to Walgreens, but never been to CVS before so wanted to give it a try.

They filled the scripts very fast I thought (10 minutes). I normally do not mind the waiting, but I guess that was a plus in comparison to my normal Walgreens. Anyway, I paid the tech and signed a log (not sure why, Walgreens never makes me sign anything). Then the tech asked me if I had any questions for the pharmacist. I said no, still expecting that I would get a consultation. Apparently not. She said, "thank you, have a nice day," and that was it.

Now it is not like I need the counseling as I have counseled on those meds numerous times. But I was concerned for the patients that DO need the counseling. Not to mention that this is a clear violation of the law. So I reported this pharmacy to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. I have my doubts that this really did anything.

I know that the issue of CVS/Walgreens ruining retail pharmacy has been discussed on this forum many times. I am not saying that every CVS is bad at counseling patients, but this particular one is. I actually have very little retail experience (only 200 hours), and no experience in a chain pharmacy. Maybe that is why I was so shocked by this.

Anyway, I guess I was just trying to do my part to speak up and help the situation. Just not sure how effective I was. What do y'all think?
 
but didnt you turn down the chance to talk to the pharmacist? sounded like the tech offered counseling by pharmacist but you turned it down...i bet thats how they documented it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if it is worth the trouble. Here is what happened. I had bronchitis last week, and decided to get my scripts filled at CVS (tussionex, benzonatate, zpak). Normally I go to Walgreens, but never been to CVS before so wanted to give it a try.

They filled the scripts very fast I thought (10 minutes). I normally do not mind the waiting, but I guess that was a plus in comparison to my normal Walgreens. Anyway, I paid the tech and signed a log (not sure why, Walgreens never makes me sign anything). Then the tech asked me if I had any questions for the pharmacist. I said no, still expecting that I would get a consultation. Apparently not. She said, "thank you, have a nice day," and that was it.

Now it is not like I need the counseling as I have counseled on those meds numerous times. But I was concerned for the patients that DO need the counseling. Not to mention that this is a clear violation of the law. So I reported this pharmacy to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. I have my doubts that this really did anything.

I know that the issue of CVS/Walgreens ruining retail pharmacy has been discussed on this forum many times. I am not saying that every CVS is bad at counseling patients, but this particular one is. I actually have very little retail experience (only 200 hours), and no experience in a chain pharmacy. Maybe that is why I was so shocked by this.

Anyway, I guess I was just trying to do my part to speak up and help the situation. Just not sure how effective I was. What do y'all think?

They asked you if you had any questions for the pharmacist. That is the offer to counsel. They made the offer, and you said no. Their obligation to counsel is done right there.
 
but didnt you turn down the chance to talk to the pharmacist? sounded like the tech offered counseling by pharmacist but you turned it down...i bet thats how they documented it.

Apparently I did without realizing it. Technically, it is the law that counseling must be given, not just offered, on all new Rxs. I think that most people would say they do not have questions for the pharmacist, but I think they should still be counseled.

And yes, I realize that things they teach us in school rarely happens in real life. I find it disconcerting, because the main reason I went into pharmacy school was to education patients on their meds. I am finding out, however, that working retail mainly consists of filling scripts with very little time for counseling. :scared:
 
sounds like you reported them based on misunderstang of the law on your part. would you do the right thing and retract the complaint before you get an innocent pharmacist fired?
 
Just wondering if it is worth the trouble. Here is what happened. I had bronchitis last week, and decided to get my scripts filled at CVS (tussionex, benzonatate, zpak). Normally I go to Walgreens, but never been to CVS before so wanted to give it a try.

They filled the scripts very fast I thought (10 minutes). I normally do not mind the waiting, but I guess that was a plus in comparison to my normal Walgreens. Anyway, I paid the tech and signed a log (not sure why, Walgreens never makes me sign anything). Then the tech asked me if I had any questions for the pharmacist. I said no, still expecting that I would get a consultation. Apparently not. She said, "thank you, have a nice day," and that was it.

Now it is not like I need the counseling as I have counseled on those meds numerous times. But I was concerned for the patients that DO need the counseling. Not to mention that this is a clear violation of the law. So I reported this pharmacy to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. I have my doubts that this really did anything.

I know that the issue of CVS/Walgreens ruining retail pharmacy has been discussed on this forum many times. I am not saying that every CVS is bad at counseling patients, but this particular one is. I actually have very little retail experience (only 200 hours), and no experience in a chain pharmacy. Maybe that is why I was so shocked by this.

Anyway, I guess I was just trying to do my part to speak up and help the situation. Just not sure how effective I was. What do y'all think?

WTF? What an idiot...you said NO = don't give a shiet about counseling...why the F* that pharmacist had to beg you for the counseling part? Leave him/her alone, please. If I am a pharmacist and someone doesn't like counseling and said NO...i would be more than happy to get back to my work and spend more time with patients who need my help.

Don't sue/report him/her please since u're gonna be called, "idiot" .
 
WTF? What an idiot...you said NO = don't give a shiet about counseling...why the F* that pharmacist had to beg you for the counseling part? Leave him/her alone, please. If I am a pharmacist and someone doesn't like counseling and said NO...i would be more than happy to get back to my work and spend more time with patients who need my help.

Don't sue/report him/her please since u're gonna be called, "idiot" .

Well I did not actually report him, I reported the pharmacy. My point is that patients do not know that they need help. By just asking if they have questions, most will say no.

And like I said, I am still a student with very little experience. That is why I came on here to ask for more experienced insight. If I find that I am in the wrong, I will gladly retract my complaint to the board.
 
are you serious right now?

I seldom complain, generally. When I do, I try to follow the chain of command. For example, if a problem occurred in a store, I would talk to an employee about it. Then, I'd ask to speak to a manager if it was unresolved.

The chain of command at most retail pharmacies would be

technician
intern
pharmacist
pharmacy manager
pharmacy supervisor
district manager


and towering above ALL of those would be The Board of Pharmacy.
 
You are right. If I had to do it over again, I would have spoken to the pharmacist before filing a complaint. I think I was so irritated, because the same thing happened to the lady in front of me. I was hoping that by filing a complaint, some sort of discussion would happen to remind the pharmacists that they should be counseling on all new Rxs. Now I wish I would have spoken up instead of just retaliating by going to the board first.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are right. If I had to do it over again, I would have spoken to the pharmacist before filing a complaint. I think I was so irritated, because the same thing happened to the lady in front of me. I was hoping that by filing a complaint, some sort of discussion would happen to remind the pharmacists that they should be counseling on all new Rxs. Now I wish I would have spoken up instead of just retaliating by going to the board first.

You got that irritated over the situation that you felt retaliation was necessary? I cringe at the thought of what might happen if you are left alone in a pharmacy. And, you do not know that woman's situation in front of you and why she was not counseled. Get your panties out of a wad.
 
Well I did not actually report him, I reported the pharmacy. My point is that patients do not know that they need help. By just asking if they have questions, most will say no.

You went waaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard. If a patient needs help he or she can always just read the pamplet or look it up on the internet. You obviously have NEVER worked in a retail pharmacy, it gets very very verrrrrrrrrry busy and the pharmacist don't always have time to waste on you.
 
Even if you said no, but still wanted counseling..you should have fixed it right there. We have people after they cash out walk over to the pharmacist and ask about another drug they are taking or when the best time is to take it. Walking away and then filing with the state board is just flat out wrong.

There was no error...no harm...and you said no. That pharmacist did nothing wrong. You may think you were complaining about the pharmacy but involving the board means putting licenses on the line.
 
Just wondering if it is worth the trouble. Here is what happened. I had bronchitis last week, and decided to get my scripts filled at CVS (tussionex, benzonatate, zpak). Normally I go to Walgreens, but never been to CVS before so wanted to give it a try.

They filled the scripts very fast I thought (10 minutes). I normally do not mind the waiting, but I guess that was a plus in comparison to my normal Walgreens. Anyway, I paid the tech and signed a log (not sure why, Walgreens never makes me sign anything). Then the tech asked me if I had any questions for the pharmacist. I said no, still expecting that I would get a consultation. Apparently not. She said, "thank you, have a nice day," and that was it.

Now it is not like I need the counseling as I have counseled on those meds numerous times. But I was concerned for the patients that DO need the counseling. Not to mention that this is a clear violation of the law. So I reported this pharmacy to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. I have my doubts that this really did anything.

I know that the issue of CVS/Walgreens ruining retail pharmacy has been discussed on this forum many times. I am not saying that every CVS is bad at counseling patients, but this particular one is. I actually have very little retail experience (only 200 hours), and no experience in a chain pharmacy. Maybe that is why I was so shocked by this.

Anyway, I guess I was just trying to do my part to speak up and help the situation. Just not sure how effective I was. What do y'all think?


complete douche baggerry...damn!!
 
Apparently I did without realizing it. Technically, it is the law that counseling must be given, not just offered, on all new Rxs. I think that most people would say they do not have questions for the pharmacist, but I think they should still be counseled.

And yes, I realize that things they teach us in school rarely happens in real life. I find it disconcerting, because the main reason I went into pharmacy school was to education patients on their meds. I am finding out, however, that working retail mainly consists of filling scripts with very little time for counseling. :scared:

Good luck with that. Seriously. In my experience people treat counselling like they would any other "chore"...as something they have to get through so they can move on. Maybe I am slightly exaggerated, but I was stunned - stunned - with how little people know about what medications they are on, what they are for, etc. Any attempt to educate them is treated like an assault on their precious, precious time. Just wait until you are behind the counter, you will see. If your experience is different, I salute you.
 
You went waaaaaaaaaaaaay overboard. If a patient needs help he or she can always just read the pamplet or look it up on the internet. You obviously have NEVER worked in a retail pharmacy, it gets very very verrrrrrrrrry busy and the pharmacist don't always have time to waste on you.

This is a bad attitude to take as a pharmacist. A pharmacist should never be too busy to counsel a patient.

To the OP...you were offered counseling and refused, so it is your loss. If you had asked and the pharmacist declined, that would be a different story. Running to the board of pharmacy seems like overkill and you were just tattling because you could. You said yourself you didn't need counseling, so why try to put a pharmacist's license on the line? My bet is that log you signed was a wavier to cousel. We used something similar at Safeway all the time.
 
This is a bad attitude to take as a pharmacist. A pharmacist should never be too busy to counsel a patient.

To the OP...you were offered counseling and refused, so it is your loss. If you had asked and the pharmacist declined, that would be a different story. Running to the board of pharmacy seems like overkill and you were just tattling because you could. You said yourself you didn't need counseling, so why try to put a pharmacist's license on the line? My bet is that log you signed was a wavier to cousel. We used something similar at Safeway all the time.

so all that training and u became a safeway druggist?
 
I am not sure what the law is in texas but in my state the tech cannot ask do you want to counsel or do you have questions, they must just call pharmacists for counsel and the pharmacist must counsel unless the pt says they do not need counseling but a question cannot be asked.

Anyways maybe the pharmacist at CVS graduated from pharmacy school with the rose colored glasses that retail pharmacy is about counseling pts, MTM, teaching pts about their drugs and disease states. But then reality hits them and finds out its all about answering the phones as fast as you can, being a telphone solicitor with the sole purpose to increase script count, and kissing a customers ass by giving the gift cards and making sure they call the survey and give you great scores.

Maybe last week this pharmacist was counseling pts, providing MTM, and teaching pts on the disease states and was provinding pharmacuetical care that their pharmacy school raved about, that a line at drive thru built up and the DM got a phone call. Maybe this pharmacists wasn't making the phone calls to tell pts they need to flonase because they were busy helping an old lady who doesn't even go to the pharmacy decide what to do because she missed her dose and is scared she is going to die because her blood pressure is too high(15 min conversation). Maybe they were providing so much counseling that scripts were turning red and pts were complaining because they couldn't get their vicodin in 15 minutes because the pharmacist was talking to another pt about diabetes. So then maybe the DM wrote her up because the pharmacy is not meeting company goals(which do not include counseling). The DM is mad because he will not get his bonus because the pharmacist is spending too much time counseling and not enough time on the programs that the company cares about because that is what makes the money not counseling.
So now the pharmacists is scared they are going to lose their job because their store is not answering the phones fast enough and filling scripts fast enough that the pharmacist decides they would rather provide food for the family and have a job and does everything they can to please the corporate beast. The pharmacists now realizes that there is no way they can counsel every pt and please the corporate beast. So they choose to please the corporate beast not because they don't care about the pts but because they think they dont have any other oppurtunities because they work in So Cal or NJ.
So does this pharmacist deserve to have to go to board of pharmacy and be punished. Maybe instead of complaining about the pharmacy not counseling you, you should complain to the board that the corporations are not providing adequete resources(ie tech hours) to provide counseling and adequete pharmacy care.
 
Last edited:
Just wondering if it is worth the trouble. Here is what happened. I had bronchitis last week, and decided to get my scripts filled at CVS (tussionex, benzonatate, zpak). Normally I go to Walgreens, but never been to CVS before so wanted to give it a try.

They filled the scripts very fast I thought (10 minutes). I normally do not mind the waiting, but I guess that was a plus in comparison to my normal Walgreens. Anyway, I paid the tech and signed a log (not sure why, Walgreens never makes me sign anything). Then the tech asked me if I had any questions for the pharmacist. I said no, still expecting that I would get a consultation. Apparently not. She said, "thank you, have a nice day," and that was it.

Now it is not like I need the counseling as I have counseled on those meds numerous times. But I was concerned for the patients that DO need the counseling. Not to mention that this is a clear violation of the law. So I reported this pharmacy to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. I have my doubts that this really did anything.

I know that the issue of CVS/Walgreens ruining retail pharmacy has been discussed on this forum many times. I am not saying that every CVS is bad at counseling patients, but this particular one is. I actually have very little retail experience (only 200 hours), and no experience in a chain pharmacy. Maybe that is why I was so shocked by this.

Anyway, I guess I was just trying to do my part to speak up and help the situation. Just not sure how effective I was. What do y'all think?

SERIOUSLY ARE YOU SOME SORTA *****. even if you report the pharmacy, the pharmacy will find out who the pharmacist was on duty. The pharmacist will be punished if not fired...

Obviously you have not worked in retail. Cause the way you are acting is like a customer who bitches and moans about the wait time since "all pharmacists do is put pills in a bottle".

First off who cares if the wait is longer at this place than the other pharmacy you go to.
Secondly, you act like a pharmacist has time to counsel on all new rx. Lemme tell you, it is barely impossible with how many pharmacists are available in each store (usually) to accurately check rxs, call drs to verify, immunize, and counsel. This is on top of a techs duty which a pharmacist might have to perform at if there is not enough help at the store (counting/insurance calls/inputing). I am not bitching at what a pharmacist has to do. But I know a lot of pharmacies which bypass the counseling because frankly they don't have time and it is too much of a distraction. PLUS MOST PATIENTS WHEN THEY ARE GIVEN IT MANDATORY...THEY JUST SAY THEY KNOW IT OR HAVE A BLANK STARE IN THEIR EYES.
 
This is a bad attitude to take as a pharmacist. A pharmacist should never be too busy to counsel a patient.

To the OP...you were offered counseling and refused, so it is your loss. If you had asked and the pharmacist declined, that would be a different story. Running to the board of pharmacy seems like overkill and you were just tattling because you could. You said yourself you didn't need counseling, so why try to put a pharmacist's license on the line? My bet is that log you signed was a wavier to cousel. We used something similar at Safeway all the time.

ur right. a pharmacist shouldn't be too busy to counsel. But lets face it, when there is limited tech help and only one pharmacist, it is more important (in my opinion) to focus on making sure the product you put out is correct with regards to no durs/correct meds. I agree that if OP asked and refused, there is no need to counsel. A pharmacist might have time to counsel on rx's a patient wants to be counseled on...but not all NEW rxs! A patient can look at there medication paper handout and get the info. Lets face it, saying a ton of info in a second isn't going to stick in anyone's head.....a pamplet will help as a reference guide a patient can come back to.
 
How about this scenario: A 70-year-old health-illiterate woman drops off a script for albuterol inhalation solution. When she picks up her filled medication, the tech asks her whether she has a question for the pharmacist. The patient, having always taken oral pills, thinks that what she is getting is just another box of pills and turns down the offer. When the patient goes home and opens the box, she finds that instead of pills there are liquid-containing vials. Not knowing that she needs a nebulizer to take the medication, she simply opens a vial and drinks it. Now, should the pharmacist who dispensed the medication be at fault for not directly providing consultation rather than having a tech offer it?
 
As another poster said, here in Texas, there can't be an "offer to counsel." Every patient has to be counseled. For every new prescription, and when the pharmacist sees fit to counsel on refills. A technician asking a patient if they want counseling is considered interference between pharmacists and patients. I still don't ever get counseled whenever I pick up my prescriptions, but that's the law.

People may think the OP went overboard, but I know a few people who have reported pharmacies/pharmacists to the TX SBOP for failng to counsel.
 
Mike- You are obviously an idiot so I am going to report you to the board of pharmacy. From reading your past posts, it seems like:

(1) C/O 2011 (so 4th level now) at the Univ of Texas at Austin
(2) May be pursuing a Ph.D
(3) In Rho Chi
(4) has a B.S in clinical lab science

Does anybody know a "mike" with a similar profile? Just post his name and I will report his a.s.s!
 
How about this scenario: A 70-year-old health-illiterate woman drops off a script for albuterol inhalation solution. When she picks up her filled medication, the tech asks her whether she has a question for the pharmacist. The patient, having always taken oral pills, thinks that what she is getting is just another box of pills and turns down the offer. When the patient goes home and opens the box, she finds that instead of pills there are liquid-containing vials. Not knowing that she needs a nebulizer to take the medication, she simply opens a vial and drinks it. Now, should the pharmacist who dispensed the medication be at fault for not directly providing consultation rather than having a tech offer it?

...like i give a crap about this patient's stupidity? I mean, if she "assumed" like that, it won't be my responsibility for such assumption. Once the pt rejects the counseling, to me, it means "please do not counsel me...i don't have any questions for you."...And if something happens to him/her ,it isn't my responsibility...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As another poster said, here in Texas, there can't be an "offer to counsel." Every patient has to be counseled. For every new prescription, and when the pharmacist sees fit to counsel on refills. A technician asking a patient if they want counseling is considered interference between pharmacists and patients. I still don't ever get counseled whenever I pick up my prescriptions, but that's the law.

People may think the OP went overboard, but I know a few people who have reported pharmacies/pharmacists to the TX SBOP for failng to counsel.

Lets just put it this way... no matter what is mandatory, nobody does it. It is one of the few laws that nobody enforce. When you drive and people go over 5 mph, do you report it to the cops?

The reason why nobody enforces it is because we do not get compensated for it. When Medicaid reemburses you 50 cents for you to fill a bottle of aspirin, you cannot afford to spend 5 minutes with one customer.
 
Man this is discouraging to read. Maybe the OP was wrong in jumping the gun and reporting to the boards, but I I think (corporate) retail pharmacy should be different :\ I hope in the future of retail, patient-pharmacist communication will be stronger.

The pharmacists now realizes that there is no way they can counsel every pt and please the corporate beast. So they choose to please the corporate beast not because they don't care about the pts but because they think they dont have any other oppurtunities because they work in So Cal or NJ.

IMO by "feeding the corporate beast," this pharmacist is in a way, neglecting to do the job he went to four years of pharmacy school to do.
 
Lets just put it this way... no matter what is mandatory, nobody does it. It is one of the few laws that nobody enforce. When you drive and people go over 5 mph, do you report it to the cops?

The reason why nobody enforces it is because we do not get compensated for it. When Medicaid reemburses you 50 cents for you to fill a bottle of aspirin, you cannot afford to spend 5 minutes with one customer.

I didn't say it's reasonable or even possible; I just said it's the law. I highly doubt that when I get out there, I'll counsel EVERY patient with a new prescription. I don't report these pharmacists because I know what they have to do day to day, and I know it's hard enough to do everything that's required of them besides counseling.

Really, the burden should fall on the companies to make sure and hire adequate pharmacist support to ensure the counseling happens. Of course, the issue of adequate pharmacist support is the same ol' story for any retail pharmacy.
 
Last edited:
SERIOUSLY ARE YOU SOME SORTA *****. even if you report the pharmacy, the pharmacy will find out who the pharmacist was on duty. The pharmacist will be punished if not fired...

Obviously you have not worked in retail. Cause the way you are acting is like a customer who bitches and moans about the wait time since "all pharmacists do is put pills in a bottle".

First off who cares if the wait is longer at this place than the other pharmacy you go to.
Secondly, you act like a pharmacist has time to counsel on all new rx. Lemme tell you, it is barely impossible with how many pharmacists are available in each store (usually) to accurately check rxs, call drs to verify, immunize, and counsel. This is on top of a techs duty which a pharmacist might have to perform at if there is not enough help at the store (counting/insurance calls/inputing). I am not bitching at what a pharmacist has to do. But I know a lot of pharmacies which bypass the counseling because frankly they don't have time and it is too much of a distraction. PLUS MOST PATIENTS WHEN THEY ARE GIVEN IT MANDATORY...THEY JUST SAY THEY KNOW IT OR HAVE A BLANK STARE IN THEIR EYES.

Umm, I said the wait time was shorter at this place than my normal pharmacy. I also said that I normally do not mind waiting longer. That is why I said I guess this was a plus that the wait time was shorter, even though I do not care about wait times.
 
Clearly, I have made many on here angry with my actions. While I did not expect a lot of support, I truly thought I was doing a good thing for reporting CVS for something that many people on here complain about. I mean, I always get the feeling that most people on here hate CVS (no time to counsel or to take breaks, etc.). And by the way, the day I was there, there was only one other customer in the store, and no one in drive through, with one pharmacist and 2 techs.

I also find it interesting that I have already mentioned in this thread that I would have done things differently if I could go back, yet people are still flaming. As I said, I am a student. I have not done my retail rotation yet, though, I was highly praised by all of the pharmacists I worked with during my EPPE.

I really am not an idiot. I just thought I was doing a good thing by speaking up against CVS. I did not think the pharmacist would suffer any repercussions for reporting the pharmacy and not the pharmacist.

I do not understand the comments about me being in Rho Chi. How does book smarts relate to poor judgement?
 
I understand what you're saying, but come on....you said you didn't have any questions. Anyway, I think you have made a bad decision, in not only reporting this "incident" to the board, but also by posting this on here. You basically have your first name, where you're going to school, AND your class in your profile/sig. Come on man, how many Mikes are in your class at UT? If the pharmacy manager of that store (or a friend) reads this forum, then you probably just got on the unofficial blacklist for many retail pharmacy stores. The law may say otherwise, but if a supervisor knows that you reported a pharmacy to the board, do you think they'll hire you? Pharmacy is a VERY small world and please be careful when saying things to your friends and posting on the internet. I actually know the supervisor for the Austin/SA areas for both Walgreens and CVS, and I'm sure a lot of other people on here do too. My advice to you is to listen, observe, and most importantly keep your mouth shut as a student. It's a lot different when you're working, as opposed to being a student.
 
To the OP, I think you are wrong for reporting the "pharmacy", which will actually fall on the pharmacist working at the time. You denied counseling, so why did you make a big deal about it and report it to TSBP?

The tech is the one who asked you if you had any questions, not the RPh...
 
Last edited:
Just wondering if it is worth the trouble. Here is what happened. I had bronchitis last week, and decided to get my scripts filled at CVS (tussionex, benzonatate, zpak). Normally I go to Walgreens, but never been to CVS before so wanted to give it a try.

They filled the scripts very fast I thought (10 minutes). I normally do not mind the waiting, but I guess that was a plus in comparison to my normal Walgreens. Anyway, I paid the tech and signed a log (not sure why, Walgreens never makes me sign anything). Then the tech asked me if I had any questions for the pharmacist. I said no, still expecting that I would get a consultation. Apparently not. She said, "thank you, have a nice day," and that was it.

Now it is not like I need the counseling as I have counseled on those meds numerous times. But I was concerned for the patients that DO need the counseling. Not to mention that this is a clear violation of the law. So I reported this pharmacy to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. I have my doubts that this really did anything.

I know that the issue of CVS/Walgreens ruining retail pharmacy has been discussed on this forum many times. I am not saying that every CVS is bad at counseling patients, but this particular one is. I actually have very little retail experience (only 200 hours), and no experience in a chain pharmacy. Maybe that is why I was so shocked by this.

Anyway, I guess I was just trying to do my part to speak up and help the situation. Just not sure how effective I was. What do y'all think?

Every pharmacy has a signature log when you pick up your meds, including Walgreens also. I believe yours requires a electronic signature when the PT picks up the meds. Also the counsel thing happens quite a lot at all retail pharmacies, since most clerks don't know that they suppose to call the pharmacist for new RX's. I am assuming that you have very little experience working the register at Walgreens since you didn't know about the signature log and your clerks must be better trained then most pharmacies.

Also......

CVS just implemented a system where new RX's will freeze the register and require the pharmacist to override this. You literally could not have avoided the pharmacist if the prescription is new, since they cannot complete the transaction. The only way is if the clerk override the register without telling anyone, which is a mistake, since he just used the pharmacist signature.
 
Just wondering if it is worth the trouble. Here is what happened. I had bronchitis last week, and decided to get my scripts filled at CVS (tussionex, benzonatate, zpak). Normally I go to Walgreens, but never been to CVS before so wanted to give it a try.

They filled the scripts very fast I thought (10 minutes). I normally do not mind the waiting, but I guess that was a plus in comparison to my normal Walgreens. Anyway, I paid the tech and signed a log (not sure why, Walgreens never makes me sign anything). Then the tech asked me if I had any questions for the pharmacist. I said no, still expecting that I would get a consultation. Apparently not. She said, "thank you, have a nice day," and that was it.

Now it is not like I need the counseling as I have counseled on those meds numerous times. But I was concerned for the patients that DO need the counseling. Not to mention that this is a clear violation of the law. So I reported this pharmacy to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. I have my doubts that this really did anything.

I know that the issue of CVS/Walgreens ruining retail pharmacy has been discussed on this forum many times. I am not saying that every CVS is bad at counseling patients, but this particular one is. I actually have very little retail experience (only 200 hours), and no experience in a chain pharmacy. Maybe that is why I was so shocked by this.

Anyway, I guess I was just trying to do my part to speak up and help the situation. Just not sure how effective I was. What do y'all think?

don't ever step in my store.
 
the correct way is : "since this/these is/are new med(s), let me direct you to the pharmacist for pt consultation."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it is the law that counseling must be given, not just offered, on all new Rxs. I think that most people would say they do not have questions for the pharmacist, but I think they should still be counseled. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=730370


As another poster said, here in Texas, there can't be an "offer to counsel." Every patient has to be counseled. For every new prescription, and when the pharmacist sees fit to counsel on refills. A technician asking a patient if they want counseling is considered interference between pharmacists and patients. I still don't ever get counseled whenever I pick up my prescriptions, but that's the law.

People may think the OP went overboard, but I know a few people who have reported pharmacies/pharmacists to the TX SBOP for failng to counsel.

The law that you claimed was broken is written...and it's in a book.

I do not claim that the law was broken. It was. As has been said by myself and others on here, the law in Texas requires the pharmacist to counsel on all new prescriptions and to document the counseling session. This is one of the things that our professor harped on in our law class.

A tech cannot just ask the patient if they have any questions for the pharmacist nor can you put up a sign that says if you have questions ask the pharmacist. It has been this way since 1993. Just this year, a law was passed requiring us to document the counseling session.

Every pharmacy has a signature log when you pick up your meds, including Walgreens also. I believe yours requires a electronic signature when the PT picks up the meds. Also the counsel thing happens quite a lot at all retail pharmacies, since most clerks don't know that they suppose to call the pharmacist for new RX's. I am assuming that you have very little experience working the register at Walgreens since you didn't know about the signature log and your clerks must be better trained then most pharmacies.

Also......

CVS just implemented a system where new RX's will freeze the register and require the pharmacist to override this. You literally could not have avoided the pharmacist if the prescription is new, since they cannot complete the transaction. The only way is if the clerk override the register without telling anyone, which is a mistake, since he just used the pharmacist signature.

I having been picking up Rxs literally every month for the last 10 years at Walgreens. I have never had to sign anything unless I pay with credit card. When I pay with cash, there is no signature. I never said I worked at Walgreens.

And I did literally avoid the pharmacist at CVS. Really, why would I make that up?
 
the correct way is : "since this/these is/are new med(s), let me direct you to the pharmacist for pt consultation."

This is what the techs at Walgreens normally tell me when I fill a new script there.
 
For those posting that it isn't a law to council pt for new scripts, you need to remember we aren't all in the same state.

Fl defers to OBRA 90, but does extend the "offer" to all new scripts, not just medicaid pts. Some states take it further and remove the "offer only" portion - making the consultation mandatory.

OP - reporting was within your rights, but an absolutely poor choice to make. Next time handle it directly - you get better results and no one risks board sanctions...
 
Just wondering if it is worth the trouble. Here is what happened. I had bronchitis last week, and decided to get my scripts filled at CVS (tussionex, benzonatate, zpak). Normally I go to Walgreens, but never been to CVS before so wanted to give it a try.

They filled the scripts very fast I thought (10 minutes). I normally do not mind the waiting, but I guess that was a plus in comparison to my normal Walgreens. Anyway, I paid the tech and signed a log (not sure why, Walgreens never makes me sign anything). Then the tech asked me if I had any questions for the pharmacist. I said no, still expecting that I would get a consultation. Apparently not. She said, "thank you, have a nice day," and that was it.

Now it is not like I need the counseling as I have counseled on those meds numerous times. But I was concerned for the patients that DO need the counseling. Not to mention that this is a clear violation of the law. So I reported this pharmacy to the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. I have my doubts that this really did anything.

I know that the issue of CVS/Walgreens ruining retail pharmacy has been discussed on this forum many times. I am not saying that every CVS is bad at counseling patients, but this particular one is. I actually have very little retail experience (only 200 hours), and no experience in a chain pharmacy. Maybe that is why I was so shocked by this.

Anyway, I guess I was just trying to do my part to speak up and help the situation. Just not sure how effective I was. What do y'all think?

In Texas the State Board absolutly will do something about it. The law specifically states a technician or a clerk cannot make an offer to counsel. The pharmacist has to make the offer. In this situation the pharmacist and the pharmacy will get fined. This exact same thing happened at my last employer. The pharmacist and the company were each fined $1000. Plus the pharmacist was put on probation for 2 years, lost her preceptor certification and had to go to a peer review meeting every quarter for 2 years.
 
People the law in Texas has changed as of June 1st this year. Yeah, yeah, yeah we all know about OBRA 90 and how we all pretty much disregard it. Well the good 'ole State of Texas knows pharmacists are not counseling. As of June 1st they added a requirement that the pharmacist doing the counseling must document either on the hard copy or electronically that they did the counseling. The State board is going to start sending plain clothes inspectors to observe the pharmacist and if they are counseling. The word on the street is they will hand out citations on the spot. This new requirement is a game changer for pharmacy in Texas.

Unfortunatly the game at the corportate level has not changed at all. I have had my hours cut twice since June 1st. Yes, that's right. My work load and responsibility increased by a 100% and I have had my hours reduced by 15%.
Good times in retail pharmacy. I will tell you right now with my current alotted staffing level I cannot comply with the law. It is physically impossible for myself or my staff to counsel or offer to counsl on every new prescription. I sent a very strongly worded e-mail up through my chain of command stateing this. It nearly got me fired.

Everyone on here is blasting this guy. The only way things will change is if the public complains. If the State Board gets enough complaints the pharmacies will have to fall into line. It sucks right now because the State Board is holding individual pharmacist accountable for counseling. I believe they are doing this because they have been unsuccessful in getting the corporations to provide us with the resourses to counsel. I believe there intention is to place it all on the pharmacists in hope thay will collectively be able to pressure the corporation into giving us the proper amount of resourses to do it.

I do not know what will come out of all this. I will tell you I am honestly worried. We have flu shots coming up along with the uptick in business cold and flu season brings. If I comply with this law my pharmacy will cease to operate. I am not being melodramatic about this. If I have to physically go to the drive through and the two registers up front every time a patient has a new prescription and ask them if they have questions then we will cease to operate because that is all I will be doing. Throw flu shots in on top of this and you have a dangerous situation where the pharmacists is doing to many things at one time. At any one time during the day I could have one to ten people waiting on a flu shot, five to ten people waiting on prescriptions to be filled, two or three lines on hold for the pharmacist, patients lined up at the drive-through and two cash registers up front waiting to be counseled and four technicians to supervise. It is a nightmare. There are times I want to throw my pen down and walk out.
 
Last edited: