Ever taken such a math course in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MATH-320: History of Mathematics

The course designation is "MATH-#" so it will likely count as a math course and go into BCPM GPA.
But the title has the word "History". Would AMCAS categorize this course as MATH and thus BCPM, or as History which is AO?

Members don't see this ad.

Put it in whatever category you like, BCPM or AO. Sounds like you can justify it either way. In my experience, AMCAS gave me the benefit of the doubt when I categorized "odd" courses like this. If AMCAS has a problem with the way you did it, they'll change it, put a little star by it and it's done. No biggie.

I entered a course as 3 credit hours but it was only 2. AMCAS made the correction and *gasp* I was accepted to medical school.

I had an issue with a 'history of science' course being stuck in the wrong category by AMCAS when they reviewed it. Too bad it was one of the most theoretically demanding science courses I took and of my undergrad courses probably the most important in helping me understand the actual process of how science is done

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I only took REAL math classes in undergrad. Why did you sign up for that crap anyway? I hope it was required for your degree and you weren't just trying to pad your stats.

Is that merely what you think, or are you 100% sure that it doesn't count toward BCPM? Then how about MATH 170: Principles of mathematics for teachers?

nope, i only took real math classes in undergrad. Why did you sign up for that crap anyway? I hope it was required for your degree and you weren't just trying to pad your stats.

It's so HUGE!

The course designation is "MATH-#" so it will likely count as a math course and go into BCPM GPA.
But the title has the word "History". Would AMCAS categorize this course as MATH and thus BCPM, or as History which is AO?

I took a class like that; it was required for my honors program. I put it as humanities since it had to deal mostly with how cultures viewed math and the evolution of ideas such as infinity and the numerous sizes of infinity (no real math was done besides a little trig). Put it wherever you feel it best fits. That being said if it will help out your BCPM gpa then you might what to include it as a math class, especially since classes such as that do help you understand and explain “real” math and science material.

Nope, I only took REAL math classes in undergrad. Why did you sign up for that crap anyway? I hope it was required for your degree and you weren't just trying to pad your stats.

Because everyone knows that the only real subjects in college are math and science :rolleyes:

History isn't a "real" subject! How dare you attempt to get a well-rounded education!

Because everyone knows that the only real subjects in college are math and science :rolleyes:

History isn't a "real" subject! How dare you attempt to get a well-rounded education!

Nope, I had a very well rounded undergrad education (including histories, classic literature, and even a class about Japanese film and literature), but I didn't try to pad my BCPM with a history class. :rolleyes:

Instead I had real math and physics classes like Calc 1-4, Ordinary Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Calc-based physics, and Modern Physics (e=mc^2 and something about schrodinger's cat).

Last edited:
Nope, I had a very well rounded undergrad education (including histories, classic literature, and even a class about Japanese film and literature), but I didn't try to pad my BCPM with a history class. :rolleyes:

Instead I had real math and physics classes like Calc 1-4, Ordinary Differential Equations, Partial Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Calc-based physics, and Modern Physics (e=mc^2 and something about schrodinger's cat).

why are you bashing him, those are all freshman year intro level classes. his class could possibly be harder than those, i took complex analysis, stochastic calculus, and tensor calculus but they were easier than philosophy of biology.

why are you bashing him, those are all freshman year intro level classes. his class could possibly be harder than those, i took complex analysis, stochastic calculus, and tensor calculus but they were easier than philosophy of biology.

I'm not bashing him. I'm saying it's rediculous what some pre-meds will do to try and make their stats look just a teeny bit better. If you don't believe me, look at the follow-up question.

Also, the calc 1 and 2 classes are the only freshman level classes that I listed.

soonereng, mind your own business, please, and don't post in this thread again. Or do it and be an @ss.

Members don't see this ad :)
soonereng, mind your own business, please, and don't post in this thread again. Or do it and be an @ss.

If you don't want complete strangers' opinions, don't post on a public forum and especially don't put it in the allo forum which is where this thread started.

And I suspect that you're calling me an @ss because I hit the nail on the head for your situation.

I had a very well rounded undergrad education (including histories, classic literature, and even a class about Japanese film and literature), but I didn't try to pad my BCPM with a history class. :rolleyes:

If you don't want complete strangers' opinions, don't post on a public forum and especially don't put it in the allo forum which is where this thread started.
I welcome everyone else's posts, just not yours. What a ridiculous guy..

I welcome everyone else's posts, just not yours. What a ridiculous guy..
i agree, just because you took different classes does not make your education better than anyone elses. it appears sooner has an inferiority complex.

I agree with soonereng... i really hope this isn't counted as BCPM. the system is already game'd enough as it is.

i agree, just because you took different classes does not make your education better than anyone elses. it appears sooner has an inferiority complex.

No inferiority complex here. I went to school to be an engineer and I worked as one for 7 yrs. I took the courses needed for my degree (which was what I was saying in my original response to the OP).

There is a reason that bio, chem, physics, and math classes are separated out from other categories. If this starts being watered down by history and education courses regardless of "difficulty", the BCPM loses its meaning.

I welcome everyone else's posts, just not yours.

Well, how about posts from yourself?

I want to increase my sGPA. If AMCAS will not treat it as BCPM, then I won't take it because I don't have much time now and I have a limited number of courses to take. I'd rather take something else.

I was right...just trying to pad your stats. Call me an @ss all you want, but I had you pegged from the beginning.

Well, how about posts from yourself?

I was right...just trying to pad your stats. Call me an @ss all you want, but I had you pegged from the beginning.

match, set, point. :thumbup: :thumbup:

He asked a simple question and you guys blew it out of proportion. I can tell you guys are super cool.

So it looks like I won't have to take this course after all.. I just got off waitlist for my first choice biochem course in place of the math courses mentioned.
I just couldn't get into any other course of my choice, and I still needed to add one more course to have a full courseload.
It wasn't like I was going to take the math course for the sole purpose of boosting my BCPM, as soonereng loser seemed to think I was, because I know that it would be a waste of time and money to do that. Besides, adcoms aren't stupid; they can usually tell if someone took certain courses just to feed their GPA.

He asked a simple question and you guys blew it out of proportion. I can tell you guys are super cool.
Right on.

. Besides, adcoms aren't stupid; they can usually tell if someone took certain courses just to feed their GPA.

oh really, please tell us more about how adcoms work.

yep, waiting for my chicken to thaw.

Chicken. Not a big fan personally. Used to have it way to often.

i bought a 10lb bag from costco and its set to expire soon, need to finish it up

It wasn't like I was going to take the math course for the sole purpose of boosting my BCPM, as soonereng loser seemed to think I was...

So when you posted in your other thread on this same topic what you really meant to say was: "I can't get into the class that I want," when you said, "I want to boost my sGPA." :rolleyes: :idea:

So when you posted in your other thread on this same topic what you really meant to say was: "I can't get into the class that I want," when you said, "I want to boost my sGPA." :rolleyes: :idea:
Right. I should've probably included in my original thread, "I can't get into the class that I want," so that you wouldn't have started posting craps in the first place. :rolleyes:

my girlfriend is a math major, and all the math majors take history of math as one of their upper division electives as a little gift to themselves. lower division math, differential equations calc 1-4, linear algebra, etc. are nothing like upper div math.

however history of math at my school has a laundry list of pre reqs, lower and upper div, that stop every joe shmoe who wants to take it.

i'd rather take ochem again over numerical analysis, elementary analysis, or the theory of calculus.

my girlfriend is a math major, and all the math majors take history of math as one of their upper division electives as a little gift to themselves. lower division math, differential equations calc 1-4, linear algebra, etc. are nothing like upper div math.

however history of math at my school has a laundry list of pre reqs, lower and upper div, that stop every joe shmoe who wants to take it.

i'd rather take ochem again over numerical analysis, elementary analysis, or the theory of calculus.

That's also the case at my school. Though I'm not a math major, I can take the history math course because I've already taken the prereqs, some of which included linear algebra, calculus 3, ordinary differential equation and vector analysis.
But why would you retake ochem, unless you didn't do well in the first place?

It's the principle of it. All these people trying to game the system a little here and a little there.

Dude this entire process is a game:
be yourself but you better make us think you're unique,
have a life but you better have awesome grades,
be well-informed but don't be arrogant,
do research, shadow, volunteer all you want but don't even think that's enough, you better be into some random crap too

We're all playing.

Stat padding? Sure it happens. Does it suck? Yes, but it's playing the game. Those who had low grades and feel like they need to pad them will probably have play catch up later on if they haven't learned to do well in those types of classes when they get to med school.

That's also the case at my school. Though I'm not a math major, I can take the history math course because I've already taken the prereqs, some of which included linear algebra, calculus 3, ordinary differential equation and vector analysis.
But why would you retake ochem, unless you didn't do well in the first place?

haha, i'm not taking/retaking any of those classes. my point was that i wouldn't want to take any upper div math class. hearing my girlfriend's complaining was enough for me.