Everyone else seems to be doing it...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilcoWorld

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...which is a terrible reason for me to do it, but what the heck?

I would be thrilled to end up at any of these places, but I can't decide on which order to put them in, so any advice on ranking these programs would be much appreciated:

University of Cincinnati
Indiana University
Christ in Chicago
Wake Forest

The things that matter to me most are training & people. I would also like to be able to get a job anywhere in the US after graduation, but I realize I'll probably have to work for a while before I can have my pick of employers.

How would you rank them if you were in my boots?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I only interviewed at Cincinnati and Indiana, and cancelled the other two.

I would rank Cincinnati first -- i think the training and reputation of that program are very strong. Excellent flight opportunities and a strong Chair, and Dr. Blomkalns seems very supportive. Cincinnati struck me as an interesting town, not quite Chicago, but very liveable.

Indiana I am not ranking purely based on location. There just isn't enough stuff for me to do there -- you might say the same thing about Cincinnati, but for some reason I liked the look and feel of Cincinnati better. Training would be great at Indiana, and it's three years, but Dr. Chisholm and the interview day in general rubbed me wrong. Too formal, with annoying standardized questions. If you liked the town and the people, then I would rank this one high, but for me Indy was a deal-breaker.

Christ I've heard nothing but good things about. The caveats are 1) a one-hospital system (which I view as a downside), 2) far removed from downtown Chicago in Oak Lawn, and 3) multiple other training sites in Chicago. Personally, I like programs that are more or less the only game in town.

Cancelled Wake Forest out of the fact that there are other programs in the South in towns I like with outstanding reputations that are closer to my family.

So personally, i would rank them 1) Cincinnati 2) Christ 3) Indy 4) Wake Forest.

Hope this was helpful, but it probably wasn't. Good luck with your decision.

I got a very different feeling from Indy, but I appreciate the advice nonetheless. Thanks pb.

i had the bad rub from indiana too... just not my style a-tall!!! plus it was the only place i went where the other applicants were so brown-nosy and stuffy i didn't even want to chit-chat with them. add to that the fact that i had a miserable time in indy....

i'm glad you like it, i guess a lot of folks do but well, i'm not a lot of folks!!!