Everyone going to Appalachia "congrats"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humtum

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone

I am very proud of all of you who got in to UACP, I will be going there too.

Any of you guys are interested on posting any questions or concern you might have regarding school or life in Oakwook(where our class will meet).

Lets role some questions, it will help us.

I will start.

1) How are you planning to pay for the school and other expense? have you saved some cash?

2) Are you looking for roomates?

3) Do you have any ideas or advice for people who are moving from other states. For people who are moving from big city to the very small town like grundy?

4) are you willing to study in a group, do you want to get to know your fellow classmates?

5) What is your stress and worry lever? if ther is any?

I guess thats what I can come up with rite now, since I am watching frineds I can not think more, maybe later.

I know I know I will have to get used to without "FRIENDS" I heard we are going to be very very busy with the school work.

Enjoy your summer guys as much as you can.

Members don't see this ad.

1) How are you planning to pay for the school and other expense? have you saved some cash? I have saved some money, I am going to buy a house to live in and I have to move from arizona so it will be expensive.

I have way too many animals but there was a previos post from txpharmgrl? I think that's the name about roommates for UACP. PLus my boyfriend is coming with me.
3) Do you have any ideas or advice for people who are moving from other states. For people who are moving from big city to the very small town like grundy?
Be prepared. Its really pretty but I'm going to miss Costco soooo much. And not to sound like a snob but also nordstroms. Get used to ordering everything from online.
4) are you willing to study in a group, do you want to get to know your fellow classmates? I really like study groups, just not sure where I am buying a house yet but it shouldnt be more than 30 minutes away from school. I definately want to know some people before I get there. I wish they would set up a chat room or something.

5) What is your stress and worry lever? if ther is any? I'm just stressed about moving. I am leaving such a great job and all my family. It's a big move.

I was wondering if anyone knows when the white coat ceremony is and also what shots we need before we start school.

kynsik said:

I was wondering if anyone knows when the white coat ceremony is and also what shots we need before we start school.

White coat is usually before classes actually start, during your orientation. You should call and ask. You will likely need all your shots done before you start going out on rotations. So that means you get them before you leave your home and job or you get them somewhere in VA.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) How are you planning to pay for the school and other expense? have you saved some cash?
I have a college fund for my living expenses, but I'll be borrowing most of the money for tuition. I'm going to a bank where I have a family friend tomorrow to find out what my options are for loans. I'll put a post up when I get things sorted out. Right now I'm pretty clueless, since I don't have any school loans. I've never even filled out a FAFSA (not that that would help me here anyways)!

I was waiting for the roommate questionaire, but I don't have it yet. I think I'm going to need a roommate. I'm going to have to drive down to the area to look for housing. I tried to do it on the internet, but that was nearly impossible. I'm really looking at living in Richlands though, unless I can get something really close to the school for cheap. Maybe if enough people live in Richlands, we can carpool...save some money on gas.

Be prepared! You can't expect the same luxuries as a large town can provide. Roanoke is 3 hours away, so it and Bristol are the closest places to do serious shopping (althought the Blacksburg/Christiansburg area has some stores). I'm from Roanoke, but I just finished my undergrad in South Dakota, so I have some experience at living in small towns (but it wasn't as small as this place is). Go into this as an opportunity to experience a whole new culture and way of life. The things you take for granted in a big city, like going to the grocery store, will be different or difficult, but everyone around you has the same problem and learned, at some level, to adapt to it.
The whole idea of putting this school in Grundy is to try to improve the quality of rural healthcare in the region. There is a huge Oxycontin problem down there, among other things. The region also has really high rates of heart disease and other diseases that could be more easily treated if they had regular access to rural healthcare. I'm going down with the attitude that I'm there to help the people of the region by bringing them a little more access to the healthcare that they, as residents of the US, deserve.

4) are you willing to study in a group, do you want to get to know your fellow classmates?
I think group study is going to be mandatory with the active learning system, but I really like group study when everyone in the group gets involved. Sometimes, things make more sense if I can teach it to someone else or if someone on my level teaches it to me. I think we'll all have plenty of time to get to know each other once we get to school!!

5) What is your stress and worry lever? if ther is any?
Right now, I just have a long to-do list for things to get done so that I can move in August. It's not so much stress as I just want to get it all done so that I can concentrate on work this summer. The only time I really stress is at work when I have about 40 scripts to type in, a fill-in pharmacist, cashier with no tech experience, and I'm the only Certified tech on duty!!

White Coat ceremony last year was the night before classes started, which was mid-August. Orientation was a day or two before the start of classes. I bet things will be pretty much the same as last year timing wise.

Has anyone gotten a packet or an e-mail with all the info Ms. Keene said she would send out (roommate survey, shots, housing, etc)??

There is a Sam's Club in Bluefield, about an hour away. I have a membership. If people ever want to go, I can take a guest. Sam's Club is like Costco isn't it??

Good luck to everyone in getting everything together for the start of classes!

I have a Sam's Club membership too. Its a lot like Costco. I haven't received the packet yet. Vicki said she would mail it as soon as she received my deposit. I think I know the shots so I'm getting the tomorrow and titers tomorrow. ICK!! I hate shots! I have opicked up so much overtime to have some extra money. I am looking for a house in richlands to buy so I would be open to a carpool. Coming from Arizona is going to be such a huge change. I have never lived anywhere that it snows. I have a long trip ahead of me. Does anyone know if there are books we are going to have to buy? Also, I know they said the campus is going wireless next year but is anyone buying a laptop? I'm just so excited to go, though I'm really sad about leaving my friends, family and job, not to mention my disposable income.
Feal free to PM me anyone and we can exchange email.

hey everyone

thank you for all your reply, I am happy to find out that I'll be meeting nice friends. My worries are same as yours and it sounds like we are all in a same boat, so we'll comfort each other. And thank you for your offer for sams' club.

I am working everyday this summer to save some money, I do not have much saved up because i was helping my parents financially. Hopefully, I will get enough loans to cover up. If you guys have any ideas regarding loans or anything please advice your fellow classmates, I am sure each and everyone of us will appreciate it.

Ok I will go now, I have to go to work early tomo. Take care

I checked with locals banks last week and got shot down for loans. At the banks here, the only way I could borrow the money was if my parents took out an equity line on their house (which isn't going to happen). The interest was through the roof and payments were due immediately. I guess we have to see what the two banks in Grundy are offering. Does anybody know the names of those banks?

I'm getting a laptop for sure. I have enough overtime this week that I should be ready to order it next week, if I know the requirements!! I've always wanted a laptop instead of my bulky old desktop!

Has anybody received the packet of information regarding housing, loans, shots, etc?? I feel in total limbo here.

It might be a silly question but why don't you guys borrow private or federal loans instead of borrowing from banks??

schools have to file taxes for 2 years before being able to apply for private loans and they also have to apply to be eligible for federal loans which can take three to four years

JMH5145 said:
I checked with locals banks last week and got shot down for loans. At the banks here, the only way I could borrow the money was if my parents took out an equity line on their house (which isn't going to happen). The interest was through the roof and payments were due immediately. I guess we have to see what the two banks in Grundy are offering. Does anybody know the names of those banks?

New Peoples Bank <- offer loans
TruePoint Bank
Wachovia
Grundy National Bank

Talked to New people's bank today about the loans. Not only do you have to pay the interest quarterly but you also have to have a cosigner and collateral. And this is one of the banks that UACP has a deal with !!! When Vickie told me about the loans in my interview, she said it was set up just like any other student loan, but I don't remember any other student loan ever requiring collateral. So now my parents are going to have to put their house up as collateral. I love it when I get all the info at the beginning. . .

kynsik said:
Talked to New people's bank today about the loans. Not only do you have to pay the interest quarterly but you also have to have a cosigner and collateral. And this is one of the banks that UACP has a deal with !!! When Vickie told me about the loans in my interview, she said it was set up just like any other student loan, but I don't remember any other student loan ever requiring collateral. So now my parents are going to have to put their house up as collateral. I love it when I get all the info at the beginning. . .

You're kidding...I'm so completely screwed too! How in the world do they expect college students to come up with the money to make payments while they are still in school?

How come students at LECOM were able to borrow federal and private loans the first year the school opened then??

I think because they had other programs at the same school, Uacp only has pharmacy. Thats my best guess

ForTce said:
How come students at LECOM were able to borrow federal and private loans the first year the school opened then??

Because LECOM has recently been accredited. Once UACP has accreditation by ACPE and SACS, students will be able to get a federal loan.

Eastman Credit Union out of Kingsport has loans that are more similar to student Title IV Stafford loans BUT not exactly the same as Title IV.

For housing info you can contact [email protected] and ask for housing list as well as student questionairre (for roommates).

pharmacology said:
Eastman Credit Union out of Kingsport has loans that are more similar to student Title IV Stafford loans BUT not exactly the same as Title IV.

For housing info you can contact [email protected] and ask for housing list as well as student questionairre (for roommates).
Can you apply for loans there if you aren't a current member or if you don't live in the areas that the bank is in?

pharmacology said:
Because LECOM has recently been accredited. Once UACP has accreditation by ACPE and SACS, students will be able to get a federal loan.

No, you are completely wrong, LECOM was not accredtited during his very first year, but was eligible for federal loans.
PBA is not accredited, but eligible as well.

could we move this post to the pharmacy forum? Seems like the topic would fit better there.

anyone got accepted to Appalachia from waiting list? my friend is on the waiting list and would like to know what are his chances to get pull from the list? thank

HABANERO4ME said:
anyone got accepted to Appalachia from waiting list? my friend is on the waiting list and would like to know what are his chances to get pull from the list? thank
No one I know, there are only 4 or 5 people on this website for the '09 class. Talked to the registrar recently and she said that the class was full. Our deposits were due the end of may so I don't know how great the chances are unless someone has an emergency.