Everyone on SDN needs to CALM DOWN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malpractice

your favorite fatso
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
really... it's only October. yes, everyone on SDN is abnormally neurotic and i'm making this announcement to a dead crowd, but seriously guys... c'mon.

if you want to freak out and start slitting your wrists since you haven't heard back from x school, got waitlisted at y school, or you pissed your pants at z school, then go freak out and slit your wrists in private. you have more than 7 months, yes SEVEN MONTHS before may, so calm the frick down. now.

yes, i know that may 'defeat the purpose' of these forums in some of your neurotic eyes, but i dont care, i think you guys defeat the purpose of the internet.

stop wasting time and crying, and go shadow another doctor. geez.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you, I needed that! This website has made me so neurotic and feel inadequate compares to the amazing applicants here. I need a break from SDN! Too bad I'm freaking addicted and will suffer withdrawals. Anyone know of a rehab program for SDN addiction?

Members don't see this ad :)
really... it's only October. yes, everyone on SDN is abnormally neurotic and i'm making this announcement to a dead crowd, but seriously guys... c'mon.

if you want to freak out and start slitting your wrists since you haven't heard back from x school, got waitlisted at y school, or you pissed your pants at z school, then go freak out and slit your wrists in private. you have more than 7 months, yes SEVEN MONTHS before may, so calm the frick down. now.

yes, i know that may 'defeat the purpose' of these forums in some of your neurotic eyes, but i dont care, i think you guys defeat the purpose of the internet.

No! I refuse! Go take your advice and jump in a lake! :mad:

I tried your way last year, and look where it got me! This year I'm sticking to SDN like a fly stuck in honey!

No! I refuse! Go take your advice and jump in a lake! :mad:

I tried your way last year, and look where it got me! This year I'm sticking to SDN like a fly stuck in honey!

yea... cuz complaining and crying on SDN is gonna convince the adcoms to let you in this time... gimme a break.

you didn't get in last year independent of your SDN rants.... but really, it's your choice. if you wanna stress out and spend your days and nights on these forums developing relationships with usernames, go for it. but in reality, it's only gonna make your matters worse, and you'll freak out until you "jump in a lake".

oh, and don't use that phrase at an interview, it sounds awkward and is enough to warrant rejection.

oh, and don't use that phrase at an interview, it sounds awkward and is enough to warrant rejection.

Since you didn't seem to catch on, I was being facetious, in case you didn't notice the abundance of exclamation marks and the overreaction...

If not SDN, where will pre-meds turn for therapy sessions? Come on, we all need to share the love and hold e-hands through this terrible process.

If you're bothered by threads of such a nature, it's pretty easy to avoid them.

The application process is stressful. Yes some people want cooing reassurances others just want a place to vent. SDN is good for both. Given the inherent neuroses of pre-meds, it's pointless to suggest request that the threads not be made and infinitely easier not to read them if they bother you.

I'm actually going to agree with the message of this post, if not the particular way it was worded.

Med school apps are insanely stressful and many pre-meds are certainly expected to freak out. this is also compounded by the inherent neuroses of premeds, as was mentioned above.

But really, I think a lot of people on sdn (a self selected group of super-stressed premeds) could certainly use a bit of relaxation. It is indeed only a few days into the acceptance cycle, with many, many months lefts to go. there is no need to be excessively apprehensive about anything yet, especially this year.

Sometimes a deep breath and some relaxation can go along way. Think about non-med school related things for a while. I know its hard, but it's worth a shot.

oh, puleeeeze. not another one of these "all you sdn'ers are homicidal maniacs" its been said and done son, stfu and go away

whatever...its a stressful time and people are looking for outlets to express how they feel. I would agree its still early and people need to calm down, but I think you need to calm down as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Student Doctor Network has been advertised in the AACOM catalog, MSAR, many medical school websites, and mentioned by deans and faculty during presentations. Not to mention that most of my fellow applicants have used it to at least gain some forehand knowledge of the interview situation and/or check up on how they compare to other premeds.

Saying that this is only a breeding ground for neurotic premeds and not making light of the positives leads me to believe any of three things:

1) you are just venting after seeing a stress-induced plea for help
2) you haven't experienced the benefits of using this site wisely.
3) you are a troll

I agree with your post, a little bit. SDNers have a tendency to be neurotic. However, SDN is also really super helpful, or at least it has been for me. What you have to learn to do is not read the f-ing annoying posts asking stupid **** like "OMG I GOT A B WILL I NEVER GET INTO MEDSCHOOL NOW?! BTW I'M A JUNIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!! YOU CAN'T EVER START EARLY ENOUGH!!!" You only have to deal with the crazies as much as you want.

Some awesome things SDN has done for me:
-Given me a place to share MCAT study tips
-Given me a place to vent my MCAT-related nervous energy
-Taught me what I should and should not wear to interviews (I didn't even know I had to wear a suit in the beginning of this process [I know I don't *have to* but the vast majority of people do, and those who don't wear a suit end up sticking out in a pretty big way])
-Given me an idea about where other pre-meds are in the process
-Taught me the whole early-is-better thing, which I would NOT have known otherwise
-Provided me with countless hours of procrastination (mostly the amusing stories threads, like the ones about "things I've learned from my patients" which is mostly about hilarious ER cases/interactions, the "you know you're a neurotic premed when..." thread, the "write your own rejection letter" thread... and others of that same adorable/amusing nature)

Personally, I'd much rather have people come here to vent their frustrations and feel comfortable sharing why they are stressed, than trying to do it with their family and friends who have no idea why they would be concerned.

Here, there are both those who are going through the same thing, and those who have come out the other end and know that it only changes, but doesn't end. Both understand the stress and help others make it through without any of the drastic measures you suggest.

Plus, we also provide an avenue for people to share their successes and celebrations. NOBODY understands how important the successes are like those who have shared the process with you - even if it's an online camaraderie.

Plus, we also provide an avenue for people to share their successes and celebrations. NOBODY understands how important the successes are like those who have shared the process with you - even if it's an online camaraderie.
Touche. All of my non-medically oriented friends are happy for my successes but they have no idea how stressful this process is. Of course, I don't let on cuz I'm a "cool cat" but if they did know they'd probably avoid me, thinking I'm a ticking bomb.

My family and friends (none are in medicine or pre-meds) when I told them of my acceptance were just like of course you were going to get in. I felt somewhat belittled by that statement because this is such a long grueling competitive process where nothing is guaranteed. I don't think they understand the gravity of this achievement.

My family and friends (none are in medicine or pre-meds) when I told them of my acceptance were just like of course you were going to get in. I felt somewhat belittled by that statement because this is such a long grueling competitive process where nothing is guaranteed. I don't think they understand the gravity of this achievement.

haha I feel the same way when i tell friends and family I have interviews. They expect me to get interviews to every school I applied to like its no big deal. of course, interviews actually are no big deal when it comes to acceptaces! congrats on your success so far!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Also: I am calm :)

Last edited:
So true, nobody understands how difficult this process is. My mom has NO clue and my dad expects me to get in anywhere I get an interview...he's going to be shocked to find out that I got waitlisted at both schools so far :scared:.

Yes, SDN can be a good reality check. My non-premed friends (i.e., everyone I know) like to talk about how I'm going to have multiple acceptances and just laugh when I say I'm not sure I'll get accepted anywhere.

You can just ignore those posts. I enjoy knowing that there are others who understand how I and other people may feel because in our real lives our friends/family don't always understand esp. if they are not in medicine or have not gone through this process.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I feel the same way. In fact, most of my fellow pre-meds in school don't understand either. I find that SDN, even with the occassional madness, is the only place I can let go of the stress...sometimes add more actually :p ... but I still often feel better here. :)

I find that SDN, even with the occassional madness, is the only place I can let go of the stress
Your stress tolerance must be insane!

Personally, I'd much rather have people come here to vent their frustrations and feel comfortable sharing why they are stressed, than trying to do it with their family and friends who have no idea why they would be concerned.

Here, there are both those who are going through the same thing, and those who have come out the other end and know that it only changes, but doesn't end. Both understand the stress and help others make it through without any of the drastic measures you suggest.

definitely. if i had to hear "but you're smart, you'll be fine. you're not a statistic," one more time from my parents, i probably would have gone ape**** on someone.

Agree! Agree! Agree! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

This is the only place where people actually relate to me and to what I'm experiencing. It helps a lot to know that you're not alone in the world, that others are experiencing it, too. SDN makes me crazy sometimes, but also keeps me sane. :hardy:

Edit: I just realized how weird those 5 last words sound... :p

Last edited:
EVERYONE JUST NEEDS TO CALM DOWN OKAY!??!!!111one

What do you expect when you put a bunch of neurotic pre-meds on the same forum? Heck, you're here too, and you even made a thread like this. What does that say?

Oh, you all can be as crazy and neurotic as you like! It makes all of the freaking out on the pre-vet boards seem tame! :D:D

Almost everyone in my family is a physician (3 siblings and my father)...and I still got this when I was accepted =(. Lol and they know how hard it is. Sometimes being the youngest child stinks.

It's interesting to read the comments posted here as someone who was in your shoes some years ago. I too went through the anxiety of medical school application. It's normal and it drove me crazy, probably like it's driving you crazy. Most of you will get in somewhere and end up being doctors down the road. So try to relax.....and realize you get to go through the application process all over again for residency in a few years!!

I will post this here (I have posted the same in another thread recently). Back when I applied to medical school, there were two dates for the MCAT (April and August). I couldn't make the April date because I was in the process of defending my dissertation and thus I had to take the August date. My application didn't become complete until October 15th of that year. I applied to six schools (fairly limited by geography). My first interview was the first week of November and I went to a total of six interviews with six acceptances (the last coming in late Feb).

It is still very, very early. Some of the super early folks who applied to super early schools have acceptances. Some schools are just now starting to ramp up their interview sessions (my two schools are in this category). If you want something to do, work on your Plan B (what you will do if you don't get into medical school). The more elaborate and complete your Plan B, the less likely you will even use it.

Stop:
  • Checking your e-mail several times a day.
  • Calling yourself to make sure that your phone is working (unless you didn't pay the bill).
  • Attacking the mailman before he/she gets to your street.
  • Whining about how you can't imagine not getting into medical school (non-acceptance does happen).
  • Checking the acceptance thread on SDN several times a day.

Do the following:
  • Start a good fitness plan that involves pumping iron (for stress relief and an aura of power).
  • Become a tourist in your own hometown (college-town) and see something that you have missed while you were busy being a pre-med.
  • Be prepared for the worst possible scenario this year (things will always be better than the worst).
  • Realize that the earlier you applied, the longer your wait.
  • Realize that no matter how much you worry, you are going to get in, get wait listed and then get in or get rejected.

Life is what it is and the challenge is to live every day as strongly and powerfully as you can. That's why pumping iron gives you so much confidence. That confidence can spill over into your interview and boost your acceptance potential. Do something besides obsess and worry as neither of these is very productive.

You can also sleep a lot to pass the time. I consider this a middle of the road option. I could be doing lines or drinking to extreme intoxication. Instead, I am resting, working, or a combination of the two. Manual labor is great because it is satisfying and leaves you very tired at the end of the day. No energy to stress that way.

You can also sleep a lot to pass the time. I consider this a middle of the road option. I could be doing lines or drinking to extreme intoxication. Instead, I am resting, working, or a combination of the two. Manual labor is great because it is satisfying and leaves you very tired at the end of the day. No energy to stress that way.

Sleep is a horrible vice, drink coffee.

I keep reading the topic title as "Everyone on SDN needs to CLAM DOWN" :banana: :zip: :lock:

and then think, "Mmm...clams..."

This reminds me of that scene in Airplane:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJsTbKEHH9g[/YOUTUBE]