Everyone Read this Article!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

q1we3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This article is only a month old, has opinions of several doctors not just one. Including, our beloved Dr. Elder aka KHE, the ex-optometry moderator/mentor/adviser. Where are you KHE?

Every student going into Optometry should be well aware of this and those who have yet to decide. Make sure you read the entire piece.

http://www.pconsupersite.com/view.aspx?rid=89332

Article ends with these quotes

"I don't believe many optometry students dream of working next to riding lawnmowers in the garden center of a big box store," he said. "If our graduates can only find jobs at such stores or commercial chains, then the end of optometry as an independent, vibrant profession will be in sight."

I am now fully aware of what I am getting into. Many thanks to ODs here!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Article ends with these quotes

"I don't believe many optometry students dream of working next to riding lawnmowers in the garden center of a big box store," he said. "If our graduates can only find jobs at such stores or commercial chains, then the end of optometry as an independent, vibrant profession will be in sight."

I am now fully aware of what I am getting into. Many thanks to ODs here!!

I believe if one were to look at the numbers, it would be evident that "working next to riding lawnmowers in the garden center of a big box store" is going to be the predominant type of opportunity presented to new grads from now on. Right now, students are going into commercial optometry. They're not opening practices, they're not buying practices, and they're not getting FT associate positions with benefits and fair pay. They're heading into any available commercial landing spot, even if it's out of state, in order to make it happen and pay their bills. The schools would love to convince students otherwise, but time will tell.

People seem to have this idea that the death of private practice optometry is a bad thing and therefore, it can't happen. It's happening, folks - right before our eyes. Private practice optometry is no different than a living house plant. If you stop feeding it, it will certainly die. Weeds on the other hand, will take anything they can get and will subsequently grow out of control even in very poor environments. Basically, commercial optometry is an out-of-control weed taking over what used to be a nice front yard. The house is now vacant, with no one to care for the yard and neighbors have taken to fertilizing the weeds with Miracle Grow. That's basically what's happening to optometry - in a nutshell.

Last edited:
I believe if one were to look at the numbers, it would be evident that "working next to riding lawnmowers in the garden center of a big box store" is going to be the predominant type of opportunity presented to new grads from now on. Right now, students are going into commercial optometry. They're not opening practices, they're not buying practices, and they're not getting FT associate positions with benefits and fair pay. They're heading into any available commercial landing spot, even if it's out of state, in order to make it happen and pay their bills. The schools would love to convince students otherwise, but time will tell.

People seem to have this idea that the death of private practice optometry is a bad thing and therefore, it can't happen. It's happening, folks - right before our eyes. Private practice optometry is no different than a living house plant. If you stop feeding it, it will certainly die. Weeds on the other hand, will take anything they can get and will subsequently grow out of control even in very poor environments. Basically, commercial optometry is an out-of-control weed taking over what used to be a nice front yard. The house is now vacant, with no one to care for the yard and neighbors have taken to fertilizing the weeds with Miracle Grow. That's basically what's happening to optometry - in a nutshell.

So what can we do? How can we stop this? :(