EVMS info??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hasy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about EVMS? what distinguishes it from other schools? special programs? etc?? I've looked at the website and catalog but nothing really stands out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hasy said:
Can anyone tell me about EVMS? what distinguishes it from other schools? special programs? etc?? I've looked at the website and catalog but nothing really stands out. Thanks!

EVMS is a great school, they have an incredible devotion to primary care. Their standardized patient program is awesome. They are one of the top community service med schools in the country. There really is a family atmosphere at the school. I was sold after my interview day. Everyone wants you to succeed its not an ultracompetetive atmosphere like some other schools. Their anatomy professor (Dr. Aravich) won the distinguished teaching faculty award from AAMC last year. I hope that you look into applying there, if you want any more info let me know.

kevin_md2010 said:
EVMS is a great school, they have an incredible devotion to primary care. Their standardized patient program is awesome. They are one of the top community service med schools in the country. There really is a family atmosphere at the school. I was sold after my interview day. Everyone wants you to succeed its not an ultracompetetive atmosphere like some other schools. Their anatomy professor (Dr. Aravich) won the distinguished teaching faculty award from AAMC last year. I hope that you look into applying there, if you want any more info let me know.
Great summary. These are essentially the reasons why I chose to attend this coming year. All I can think to add to that is the Hampton Roads area is cumulatively one of the largest in the nation so during rotations in year 3 and 4 I also believe that there will be some pretty rare and unique cases. The Children's hospital was also awesome and truly unique if you're thinking about anything regarding peds. If you're into research, the rumor in VA from what I read in newspapers is that budget increases are coming their way to start up some new research projects at the school over the next few years. But what really sold me was just the friendly, family atmosphere of the school. Their panel interview was a little intimidating, but the interview day is what really sold me as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the great info.... I didnt apply last year, but I am definitely considering it for this year. By the way, are you guys VA residents? What kinda of stats do you need to get in? I'm a CT resident with 3.0 undergrad GPA, 3.9 grad GPA and 34 MCAT. Do you think I have a chance? Thanks again.

Stats don't mean too much unless you can present confidence on your AMCAS application, then on interview day be able to sell yourself.

I had a 2.69 undergrad from a good college, spent several years in the military, 3.77 grad GPA, a late summer publication in a high impact journal, and scored in the 92nd percentile in the sciences with an 8 in verbal.

Stats don't always tell who you are.

By the way, I applied to 12 schools, was rejected from 4, interview invites from 4, and withdrew from 4

hasy said:
Thanks a lot for the great info.... I didnt apply last year, but I am definitely considering it for this year. By the way, are you guys VA residents? What kinda of stats do you need to get in? I'm a CT resident with 3.0 undergrad GPA, 3.9 grad GPA and 34 MCAT. Do you think I have a chance? Thanks again.

you def. have a good chance with your numbers. go for it and ill bet if you get an interview you will find that you like the school more than you thought you would