EVMS Medical Masters 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just applied! I hope I can report back soon with good news!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Very first post on sdn. I got into the EVMS 1yr MM and think I'll be going here although I am still waiting to hear back from the UC smp. If anyone has taken it before and went to a medical school that wasn't EVMS afterwards, how helpful do you think it was for you?

Question for those who applied: did you receive an automated "application received" email from EVMS within a couple of days of submitting?

After I submitted my application, I received an email saying:
"Thank you for applying! We have received your verified application and in order to be complete and eligible for review, the following is also required:
1. Supplemental Application (If not already submitted), 2. Updated PostBacCAS Transcripts, 3. Current Contact Information"

To my knowledge, I have everything updated and submitted. I just wanted to know if any of you got this email too before receiving an "application complete" notification?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question for those who applied: did you receive an automated "application received" email from EVMS within a couple of days of submitting?

After I submitted my application, I received an email saying:
"Thank you for applying! We have received your verified application and in order to be complete and eligible for review, the following is also required:
1. Supplemental Application (If not already submitted), 2. Updated PostBacCAS Transcripts, 3. Current Contact Information"

To my knowledge, I have everything updated and submitted. I just wanted to know if any of you got this email too before receiving an "application complete" notification?

I got that email too!

@Abraxas65 So after completing the SMP, is M1/M2 at EVMS significantly easier? Were you able to skip some of those classes that you did well in during the SMP and do a research block or something else? Finally out of all the students in the SMP class, approx how many do really well like 3.9-4.0, and is it possible to achieve a 4.0?

M1 year is significantly easier and M2 is still as hard as it is for everyone else. For my class if we scored 92 or above (honors) we did not have to retake the lecture portion of the class but were required to attending the clinical skills portion of the class. We could skip out of 2 classes maximum per semester and you could not skip out of anatomy at all. Most students used this time to work as TAs or tutor, the school does require you do something but they are pretty flexible with what you can do (I TAed a class and spent time tutoring which didn't get me a lot of money but it was fairly easy).

Now I am unsure if what I experienced is going to be what the next incoming class experiences because from last I heard the incoming MD class is going straight pass/fail and I dont know whats going to happen with the SMP program. I can't imagine they would go pass/fail.

There is always a few students who end up getting a 4.0 but its not very common. I had a 3.7X and I feel I was likely in the top 1/3 of the class. From what I hear usually the students who matriculate straight into EVMS after the program have around a 3.6-4.0 gpa but I know at least a few 3.5s that got in and even know of a 3.3 that got in as well.

Did you apply through the EVMS website as well as the postbaccas website? There's supplemental information on EVMS' website. It's actually pretty quick to fill out but it was an easy step to overlook.

Hopefully that link works.

Thanks for the help!
However, I did submit my supplemental application prior to submitting my postbaccas, so, unfortunately, that's not it :\ I think I'm just going to call admissions and see if they're missing any information from me!

Thanks for the help!
However, I did submit my supplemental application prior to submitting my postbaccas, so, unfortunately, that's not it :\ I think I'm just going to call admissions and see if they're missing any information from me!
Sorry I wasn't more help. I've spoken to them on the phone and they've been very friendly so I'm sure they will be helpful. Good luck!

Hi everyone! I've been admitted to the EVMS MM one year program for 2019-2020 school year. I was hoping someone could tell me a bit more about what it is like living in Norfolk, VA and if anyone has lived in Hague Club apartments.
Fun fact: this is my first SDN post ever!
Thanks!
Generally speaking it floods a lot so be wary of that, weather is bearable but fluctuating, pretty good restaurants, a couple of interesting sights to see and things to do but you won't really have time for all that. It's a nice city and you're surrounded by other cities with things to do too if you find the time including VA Beach.
Idk too much about Hague Club (student housing) but apply ASAP because those fill up fast. Otherwise look for other places nearby because it's easy walking distance

Hello all happy to answer any q's about the 2 year program (going into year 2)
I remember being on this thread religiously last year but not getting much perspective on the 2 year track so throwing myself out there in case anyone needs it. I'll try my best to be helpful.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello all happy to answer any q's about the 2 year program (going into year 2)
I remember being on this thread religiously last year but not getting much perspective on the 2 year track so throwing myself out there in case anyone needs it. I'll try my best to be helpful.

Hi! I have a few questions:

1. I was wondering what the process is like applying to med school while still in the program? I read on one of these forums that several med schools won't entertain your application until you complete the program and they have all of your grades. Do you have a list of schools that will consider your application while in the middle of the program?

2. What were some of your experiences while in the first year?

3. How did you prepare before starting the program?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I have a few questions:

1. I was wondering what the process is like applying to med school while still in the program? I read on one of these forums that several med schools won't entertain your application until you complete the program and they have all of your grades. Do you have a list of schools that will consider your application while in the middle of the program?

2. What were some of your experiences while in the first year?

3. How did you prepare before starting the program?

Thanks in advance!
For the 2 year program you'll apply after the first year, so you'll have about 18 credits of grades to show for. However only 2 of those classes will actually be sciences so it's possible some schools might wait until they have more science grades from 2nd year. But from what I've seen there's been a good amount of people who were getting interviews in their 2nd year so it must not be too much of a problem. I don't know of a specific list of schools that want you to finish the whole program, I'd say just give the individual schools a call when you're applying!
I didn't do any prep before other than the pre-matriculation module they make you do before Foundational Science starts. It's like basic biology/biochemistry, takes a few hours I think
And my experience generally has been pretty good, the first year is mostly stressful the first half of the first semester when you're in the med school course. You finish that class halfway through so the rest of the fall semester should be more chill, allowing you to rack up shadowing and volunteering hours. Then spring is mainly studying for the MCAT, but there's a course to help along with peers and other resources and the spring classes are much easier so you're able to balance studying. Everyone is willing to help out; if you find a good study group, get tutors early on, and keep in touch with the academic advisors & program directors you'll be good (that's advice for anyone 1 or 2 year).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone in the 1 year program? How is it like to apply to med school while in the program?

Anyone in the 1 year program? How is it like to apply to med school while in the program?
You apply this summer, try to finish all your applications before the program starts and then you go from there. You don't need to complete an EVMS secondary until December. You hear back if you got accepted after graduation

After being accepted a few days ago, I have some logistical questions for anyone currently in and/or alumni of the program.
  1. Where to live? To be more specific, does EVMS help you find living or are there student housing? If not, any specific neighborhoods/areas where most students live?
  2. Is it smart to bring a car?
  3. End goal is to matriculate into EVMS following completion of program. Being a bit proactive here, but what is the medical school like? Don't get me wrong, I've done my fair amount of research, but have not read a lot of student testimonies on the school. Can any alumni of the program that are now in EVMS speak on this? How is the affiliated/attached hospital?
  4. Any general advice you wish you had going into the program? Have already read some great stuff, just wondering if there is anything else worth mentioning.
Greatly appreciate anyone that can touch on any of these topics!!

Too late to submit a 1 year app here?

After being accepted a few days ago, I have some logistical questions for anyone currently in and/or alumni of the program.
  1. Where to live? To be more specific, does EVMS help you find living or are there student housing? If not, any specific neighborhoods/areas where most students live?
  3. End goal is to matriculate into EVMS following completion of program. Being a bit proactive here, but what is the medical school like? Don't get me wrong, I've done my fair amount of research, but have not read a lot of student testimonies on the school. Can any alumni of the program that are now in EVMS speak on this? How is the affiliated/attached hospital?
  4. Any general advice you wish you had going into the program? Have already read some great stuff, just wondering if there is anything else worth mentioning.

1. There's student housing but others have said it goes quickly so if you want to you can apply for it- just make sure you look for back up plans in case it's full. EVMS is situated in the Ghent neighborhood of Norfolk so if you want to be near campus that would be a good area to look in and the surrounding neighborhoods are nice as well.

2. Depending on where you end up living. There's the Tide Light Rail that goes through much of the city- connects EVMS to the MacArthur area and farther out. You might need one to go grocery shopping- especially if you want to frequently cook ethnic (Indian/Asian) food as the specialty stores are not in Norfolk itself. The bus system will take you out to VA Beach as well last time I checked so you may not need a car depending on what exactly you want to do. Even then, you should be able to walk/bike/bus/light rail to most of where you need to go in Norfolk.

3/4. Can't answer these. I'm not an EVMS student/alumni of the Med Masters program, I'm only familiar with the Norfolk area.

Does anyone think it would be unwise to apply to evms and evms smp at the same time with basically the same letters of recommendation and a slightly modified personal statement? I have average-ish md matriculation stats unless I crushed my mcat retake.

Does anyone think it would be unwise to apply to evms and evms smp at the same time with basically the same letters of recommendation and a slightly modified personal statement? I have average-ish md matriculation stats unless I crushed my mcat retake.
If you're applying in the 2020 cycle, I would say to wait and see if you get accepted into the MD program. If you didn't get accepted this cycle. go ahead and use the same information. It's different committees

3. You'll need to be here to get a feel. You don't need to submit your secondary until December.
4. You're going to get the same advise during orientation. The one thing that I will say is that getting a tutor is a MUST.

Just submitted application for 2 year program, kinda late but wasn't originally planning on applying to any 2 year programs. Oh well desperate times call for desperate measures. Hoping for the best.

Does PostBacCAS require us to actually have a LOR submitted in order to verify? From the MM website it seems like all you need is a letter request in order to be verified but my application is showing as "Received" and not as "Complete"?? Send help!! AHH!

EDIT: apparently it just takes a minute, I’m listed as complete now w/o a LOR submitted from a writer (they have my transcripts already). Gonna leave this up for anyone that has the same question down the line though!

Last edited:
Hello!

I have a question for those enrolled in the program:

When do you receive your financial aid money, specifically for housing? I’ve heard mid August and also as late as September so I just wanted to verify. Thanks in advance!

Hey!
Just got accepted to the 2 year program today :soexcited:
Submitted App: 12/2 Verified: 12/4 Complete: 12/12 (had to make small revisions to my resume) Reviewed: today
3.29 cGPA, 3.26 sGPA, 496 MCAT, IS applicant
500+ hours of community service, 100+ hours of clinical volunteering, little to no research, 70 hours of shadowing

So grateful to finally have a home after several M.D. rejections

Hey just a real quick q!!

Did you re-upload your CV/personal statements on their secondary application portal as well or did you have them only in your PostBacCAS app?

Hey just a real quick q!!

Did you re-upload your CV/personal statements on their secondary application portal as well or did you have them only in your PostBacCAS app?

Hello!

I uploaded my resume and personal statement to the secondary application portal. Good luck with your app!

Im a little lost, I didn't realize there was secondary application after submitting my first one on PostBacCas last week. Went to do it, but Im not seeing the 2 year program as an option under what program I'd like to attend section? Should I just click Medical Masters 1 year?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 12.28.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-05 at 12.28.36 PM.png
    557.4 KB · Views: 124
Hello!

I uploaded my resume and personal statement to the secondary application portal. Good luck with your app!

Awesome, thank you so much for your help!

Im a little lost, I didn't realize there was secondary application after submitting my first one on PostBacCas last week. Went to do it, but Im not seeing the 2 year program as an option under what program I'd like to attend section? Should I just click Medical Masters 1 year?

I don't see it either... if there's any other options (ex. a different academic year or something??) to click maybe try seeing if the program is in there? If not, definitely call and ask them! They're SUPER friendly.

When did you all receive your credentials/login information? I just received an email regarding the July 15th deadline for class registration, but I haven't received my credentials/login info yet...Anyone else in the same boat?

Accepted today! Wooo

When did you all receive your credentials/login information? I just received an email regarding the July 15th deadline for class registration, but I haven't received my credentials/login info yet...Anyone else in the same boat?

I think I saw some folks say their credentials took about 3 business days to be sent to them. Not 100% sure on that though, sorry!

Last edited:
I’m a former med master and current M2 at EVMS and I’m happy to answer any questions you guys have.

Hey! Would you happen to have an idea of what class times are like? Are they all 9-5 M-F? Are lectures posted online in case we want to review/have an appointment/etc. or is attending all lectures mandatory?

Hey! Would you happen to have an idea of what class times are like? Are they all 9-5 M-F? Are lectures posted online in case we want to review/have an appointment/etc. or is attending all lectures mandatory?
The schedule changes each week except anatomy lab which is the same time every week. Some lectures are mandatory especially the first weeks but you always have access to powerpoints and its recorded

Accepted today! Wooo

I think I saw some folks say their credentials took about 3 business days to be sent to them. Not 100% sure on that though, sorry!
Congrats on the acceptance! Are you in the one-year or two-year program?

Thank you for your post! I just received them on Monday, but thankfully everyone from the admissions and financial aid office was super chill about it.

Congrats on the acceptance! Are you in the one-year or two-year program?

Thank you for your post! I just received them on Monday, but thankfully everyone from the admissions and financial aid office was super chill about it.
Thank you! You too! I’m in the 1 Year but still waiting for another program to get back to me lol what about you?

They’re super chill actually, love them!

The schedule changes each week except anatomy lab which is the same time every week. Some lectures are mandatory especially the first weeks but you always have access to powerpoints and its recorded

I see, thank you!!

Hey everyone! Been going through a couple of threads for this SMP and couldn't find the range of stats that get in. I have a 3.18 cGPA and a 2.87 sGPA which I understand is really low. I have an upward trend in much more difficult science classes, but my first MCAT was also a 494 although i have been getting above a 500 on my practice tests for a retest thus far so I dont know if its worth spending money and applying to the program. Any info would help thank you in advance!

** this is for the 1 year program

Hey all,
How has your experience at EVMS med masters been thus far? I will be there for the 1 year program for fall 2020. wondering what its like and if textbooks are provided or online pdfs?

TIA

Hey everyone! Been going through a couple of threads for this SMP and couldn't find the range of stats that get in. I have a 3.18 cGPA and a 2.87 sGPA which I understand is really low. I have an upward trend in much more difficult science classes, but my first MCAT was also a 494 although i have been getting above a 500 on my practice tests for a retest thus far so I dont know if its worth spending money and applying to the program. Any info would help thank you in advance!

** this is for the 1 year program

Did you end up applying? I applied with a 3.0 cGPA and 2.9 sGPA 494 MCAT 1st attempt 2015 and 507 MCAT august 2019 and got in.