EVMS Medical Masters 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCal24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Since no one has started this thread yet I thought I would get it started! According to the last years class 33/68 ended up getting into medical school most probably at EVMS. Would some former students like to tell us their experiences in the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Just submitted my app, anyone else submitted yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're just waiting on the LOR, you can still submit the app without it and send it in later! In the meantime, they'll start verifying your app and let you know if you're missing anything else

If you're just waiting on the LOR, you can still submit the app without it and send it in later! In the meantime, they'll start verifying your app and let you know if you're missing anything else

Hey i meant to say I'm finishing a class in about 2 weeks so I want to wait then send in my transcript. Are you a VA resident? (I am). Do you mind me asking your stats?

Are you a VA resident? (I am). Do you mind me asking your stats?

I'm actually applying from CA, cGPA/sGPA is 3.1/3.0 with a lot of hours in extracurriculars/shadowing/lab/etc

Are you guys applying to the one year or two year program?

I’m a former med master and current M2 at EVMS and I’m happy to answer any questions you guys have.

I’m a former med master and current M2 at EVMS and I’m happy to answer any questions you guys have.

Hi, I just applied to the one year program!

Not sure if these were answered elsewhere but...
1) were you in the 1 or 2 year program? and how was the process of applying to the med school during the program?
2) if accepted to the EVMS would you be starting immediately after the med master's program or is there another glide year prior to starting?
3) can you expand a little bit more about how the standardized patients were incorporated into the curriculum? (specifically the one year program)
4) what's the general atmosphere like in the Med Master's program and the med school? do you feel like you and your classmates had sufficient time to balance out academics with your personal lives? or was it more dependent on the type of person you are?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!!

Hi, I just applied to the one year program!

Not sure if these were answered elsewhere but...
1) were you in the 1 or 2 year program? and how was the process of applying to the med school during the program?
2) if accepted to the EVMS would you be starting immediately after the med master's program or is there another glide year prior to starting?
3) can you expand a little bit more about how the standardized patients were incorporated into the curriculum? (specifically the one year program)
4) what's the general atmosphere like in the Med Master's program and the med school? do you feel like you and your classmates had sufficient time to balance out academics with your personal lives? or was it more dependent on the type of person you are?

Thanks for taking the time to answer!!

1. I was in the 1 year program. Applying to med school while in the program was stressful I really really recommend getting all of your secondaries done before moving to Norfolk except for EVMS secondary hold off on that one until December/January. Schools pretty good about giving time off for interviews from what I saw (I only interviewed at EVMS).

2. If you get accepted right away you graduate with your masters in May and start the next MD class a few months later. The school reserves spots specifically for the med masters class.

3. The curriculum is still being changed so take this with a grain of salt, SPs don’t make up a significant amount of the med masters program. You will get to spend some time with them but they are much more integrated into the M1/M2 curriculum where they make up a small but significant part of your overall grade.

4. Since the school doesn’t have an undergraduate program the med masters and M1 class are very close with just about everyone getting along really well. Resources are freely shared and in my very biased opinion EVMS has one of the best student body vibes I have seen at a medical school.

As for work life balance I will be honest you should not expect to have significant amounts of free time as a med master. Now this doesn’t mean you won’t have time to eat or watch a movie occasionally (I was able to spend at least two half days and occasionally a half day and full day with my wife every week) but do expect that you won’t be making lots of trips home. Things free up quite a bit as an M1/M2.

1. I was in the 1 year program. Applying to med school while in the program was stressful I really really recommend getting all of your secondaries done before moving to Norfolk except for EVMS secondary hold off on that one until December/January. Schools pretty good about giving time off for interviews from what I saw (I only interviewed at EVMS).

2. If you get accepted right away you graduate with your masters in May and start the next MD class a few months later. The school reserves spots specifically for the med masters class.

3. The curriculum is still being changed so take this with a grain of salt, SPs don’t make up a significant amount of the med masters program. You will get to spend some time with them but they are much more integrated into the M1/M2 curriculum where they make up a small but significant part of your overall grade.

4. Since the school doesn’t have an undergraduate program the med masters and M1 class are very close with just about everyone getting along really well. Resources are freely shared and in my very biased opinion EVMS has one of the best student body vibes I have seen at a medical school.

As for work life balance I will be honest you should not expect to have significant amounts of free time as a med master. Now this doesn’t mean you won’t have time to eat or watch a movie occasionally (I was able to spend at least two half days and occasionally a half day and full day with my wife every week) but do expect that you won’t be making lots of trips home. Things free up quite a bit as an M1/M2.

One thing that scare me from last year is that (33/68) got into EVMS. Can you shed some light why the rest of the people weren't accepted and why are the med masters students interviewed so late?. Also, if you graduate from the med masters in May wouldn't med school begin in August?

One thing that scare me from last year is that (33/68) got into EVMS. Can you shed some light why the rest of the people weren't accepted and why are the med masters students interviewed so late?. Also, if you graduate from the med masters in May wouldn't med school begin in August?

Typically only around 50% of the med masters class gets into EVMS immediately but the number who get accepted to a medical school is usually closer to 60% at the end of the program then goes up to 70-80% after one year and finally 80%+ after two years (contact the program for specific acceptance numbers for past classes). So med masters applications to EVMS are handled very differently than normal applicants, first off the school will largely ignore most of your course work before the masters program (which is a good thing for most students) but things such as MCAT score, healthcare experience, volunteering, your interview, etc. are weighted when it comes to acceptance. EVMS specifically waits to interview med master students until spring so that they have at least an entire semesters worth of grades to look at as well as a better idea of who each applicant is as a student/person. Med master students are all shooting for specific group of spots that EVMS holds open specifically for their med master program so there is no real need to worry about interviewing early or completely the secondary early.

The med master class can usually be split into 4 groups, those that excel, those that did well, those that did what was required of the program, those that did poorly. Now usually there isn't a ton of students who do poorly and the few that I know about usually dont complete the program (e.g. a student pulling Cs in the first semester classes) there is no sense in paying the tuition for the second semester if you are doing so poorly that it wont help you and may in fact hurt you. So this leaves us with three groups; those that excel are usually students getting straight As or nearly straight As (gpa >3.8-3.7) while there aren't a ton of people in this group they do exist and almost always get accepted right away unless they do something incredibly stupid, those that do well in the program usually have a 3.8-3.7<gpa>3.4-3.5 I will talk about them in a sec, the final group has a 3.4-3.5<gpa>3.0 these students did enough to complete the program but they typically do not get accepted to EVMS right away but people from this group can and do get accepted elsewhere or at EVMS in future cycles. Basically if you excel you are in unless you shoot yourself in the foot and if you just did enough to complete the program you will likely be looking at another application cycle. The group that did well but not excel is where it gets hard to say who gets in but its fair to say the higher your gpa is in this range the better your odds are but things like extracurricular activities, MCAT score and healthcare experience begin to play a more important part in stratifying students. Now when I was in the program my goal was a 3.67 gpa (basically straight A-s) I feel that this gpa is a really good number to be at or above because in my experience if you dont get accepted with a ~3.7+ gpa there is something else going on with your application that is causing you problems. Please note that these gpa numbers are just my personal opinion and that they can range up or down 0.1-0.2 depending on the overall performance of the med master students and while getting a very high gpa or even a 4.0 makes it very likely to get accepted there is no hard cut off line for a guaranteed acceptance or rejection.

Yes you are correct, if accepted into the next MD class at EVMS you graduate in May and then start the MD program that August.

Reactions: 1 users
Typically only around 50% of the med masters class gets into EVMS immediately but the number who get accepted to a medical school is usually closer to 60% at the end of the program then goes up to 70-80% after one year and finally 80%+ after two years (contact the program for specific acceptance numbers for past classes). So med masters applications to EVMS are handled very differently than normal applicants, first off the school will largely ignore most of your course work before the masters program (which is a good thing for most students) but things such as MCAT score, healthcare experience, volunteering, your interview, etc. are weighted when it comes to acceptance. EVMS specifically waits to interview med master students until spring so that they have at least an entire semesters worth of grades to look at as well as a better idea of who each applicant is as a student/person. Med master students are all shooting for specific group of spots that EVMS holds open specifically for their med master program so there is no real need to worry about interviewing early or completely the secondary early.

The med master class can usually be split into 4 groups, those that excel, those that did well, those that did what was required of the program, those that did poorly. Now usually there isn't a ton of students who do poorly and the few that I know about usually dont complete the program (e.g. a student pulling Cs in the first semester classes) there is no sense in paying the tuition for the second semester if you are doing so poorly that it wont help you and may in fact hurt you. So this leaves us with three groups; those that excel are usually students getting straight As or nearly straight As (gpa >3.8-3.7) while there aren't a ton of people in this group they do exist and almost always get accepted right away unless they do something incredibly stupid, those that do well in the program usually have a 3.8-3.7<gpa>3.4-3.5 I will talk about them in a sec, the final group has a 3.4-3.5<gpa>3.0 these students did enough to complete the program but they typically do not get accepted to EVMS right away but people from this group can and do get accepted elsewhere or at EVMS in future cycles. Basically if you excel you are in unless you shoot yourself in the foot and if you just did enough to complete the program you will likely be looking at another application cycle. The group that did well but not excel is where it gets hard to say who gets in but its fair to say the higher your gpa is in this range the better your odds are but things like extracurricular activities, MCAT score and healthcare experience begin to play a more important part in stratifying students. Now when I was in the program my goal was a 3.67 gpa (basically straight A-s) I feel that this gpa is a really good number to be at or above because in my experience if you dont get accepted with a ~3.7+ gpa there is something else going on with your application that is causing you problems. Please note that these gpa numbers are just my personal opinion and that they can range up or down 0.1-0.2 depending on the overall performance of the med master students and while getting a very high gpa or even a 4.0 makes it very likely to get accepted there is no hard cut off line for a guaranteed acceptance or rejection.

Yes you are correct, if accepted into the next MD class at EVMS you graduate in May and then start the MD program that August.

I really appreciate you taking the time to give this detailed response. Do you know how big a factor the MCAT is if you have done well in the program because I'm retaking before the program but I'm worried with my current score (I am a VA resident though) . From last year's post said a 509 or higher. So is it fair to say to get a 3.6 gpa or higher would put you it a good position for an acceptance. Just a side question how is the advising? (Do they help with secondaries and how to frame essays and things like that)

Members don't see this ad :)
I really appreciate you taking the time to give this detailed response. Do you know how big a factor the MCAT is if you have done well in the program because I'm retaking before the program but I'm worried with my current score (I am a VA resident though) . From last year's post said a 509 or higher. So is it fair to say to get a 3.6 gpa or higher would put you it a good position for an acceptance. Just a side question how is the advising? (Do they help with secondaries and how to frame essays and things like that)

Unfortunately I dont know how highly the MCAT is rated I suspect that it isn't weighted as highly as your actual performance in the program. I would say 507-508 and above you should be good when it comes to MCAT but as with all medical school applications higher is better (for what its worth my MCAT was either a 508 or 509 can't remember which). Yes I would agree that a 3.6 gpa or better puts you in a fairly good spot for acceptance. My experience has been advising is much more geared towards advising you for EVMS but I didn't try and ask about help with secondaries for other programs. I fully believe that if you do ask for help they would be more than happy to provide assistance. The only caveat I would say is that you really should try and get all of your secondaries done before starting class the program is rather intense especially the first few months (its a big transition going from studying for undergrad to medical school) and you really wont want to be working on secondaries.

did anyone who has submitted already receive an email about incoming students requiring a laptop? didn't receive an email with an admissions decision so I'm not sure if it's a mass email or if it means there's a change in my app status..

Nevermind, just got the acceptance email! :)
Good luck to everyone!

Hey,

I was supposed to be doing this program this year 2018-2019 but I had to withdraw due to a personal emergency. I know its early but I am looking for a roommate next year. Let me know if any of you are interested and Best of luck!!!

Hey!
Just got accepted to the 2 year program today :soexcited:
Submitted App: 12/2 Verified: 12/4 Complete: 12/12 (had to make small revisions to my resume) Reviewed: today
3.29 cGPA, 3.26 sGPA, 496 MCAT, IS applicant
500+ hours of community service, 100+ hours of clinical volunteering, little to no research, 70 hours of shadowing

So grateful to finally have a home after several M.D. rejections

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Discipline! But to be honest its all about repetition when it comes to anatomy. Find a good anatomy based anki deck and spam cards plus spend lots of time in lab.

Abrazas65 can you or any other former SMPer comment on the classes more indepth and what score we should be aiming for in respect to the usually class average? Like what do we need to get on exams usually to get a >3.5 gpa in the program
Also, when do you SMPers get interviews generally and acceptances?

Fall Schedule:
Foundation Science- 10 credits (Cell Bio /Biochem I think??)
Human Structure- 10 credits (Anatomy??)
Presentation Skills- 3 credits

Spring Schedule
General Mechanism of Disease- 6 credits (Micro ??)
Skin, Muscle, and Bone- 4 credits (No idea)
GI and Metabolism- 6 credits (No idea)

anyone who has been accepted know what a competitive gpa would be? i want to figure out if its worth applying with a 3.1

Abrazas65 can you or any other former SMPer comment on the classes more indepth and what score we should be aiming for in respect to the usually class average? Like what do we need to get on exams usually to get a >3.5 gpa in the program
Also, when do you SMPers get interviews generally and acceptances?

Fall Schedule:
Foundation Science- 10 credits (Cell Bio /Biochem I think??)
Human Structure- 10 credits (Anatomy??)
Presentation Skills- 3 credits

Spring Schedule
General Mechanism of Disease- 6 credits (Micro ??)
Skin, Muscle, and Bone- 4 credits (No idea)
GI and Metabolism- 6 credits (No idea)
It's not curved, so an A(4.0) is 91.6 (school rounds up to 92) - 100, A- (3.7) is 87.6 to to 91.5, B+ is from 84 up. You want to get above average so it depends on the class. FS average is usually around an 85 and Anatomy varies

It's not curved, so an A(4.0) is 91.6 (school rounds up to 92) - 100, A- (3.7) is 87.6 to to 91.5, B+ is from 84 up. You want to get above average so it depends on the class. FS average is usually around an 85 and Anatomy varies

Riptoe,
Do you mind answering when you guys usually get interviews and acceptances?
Can you more indepth of how the classes are and stuff like that?

Do you take any classes with med students? Once you complete the program , have students gone to other medical schools? Just wondering how this program is seen by other medical schools - is it seen as competitive, challenging and as proof that a student can handle me school? Or is this program really only good if you want to stay at At EVMS?

Do you take any classes with med students? Once you complete the program , have students gone to other medical schools? Just wondering how this program is seen by other medical schools - is it seen as competitive, challenging and as proof that a student can handle me school? Or is this program really only good if you want to stay at At EVMS?

4 of the 6 classes are taken with med students at EVMS there is the link for the classes
One-Year Program - Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS), Norfolk, Hampton Roads
Last year 33 of the 68 students were admitted to EVMS this is from last years SMP thread which is helpful.
From my opinion the program is pretty well respected from reading throughly about SMPs

Riptoe,
Do you mind answering when you guys usually get interviews and acceptances?
Can you more indepth of how the classes are and stuff like that?
Interviews are in the spring semester so it's spread out from february to april. You find out if you're accepted AFTER graduation in may. So in your first semester, you take 3 classes. Anatomy, FS and professional skills.
Professional skills, you learn how to tackle interview questions and discuss current issues in medicine. I'm not sure how the upcoming class is going to be because they're switching professors.
Anatomy: You take class and lab. Again, they might be changing how this class is structured too because the current med masters took it with the med students so every exam was NBME styled. But either way, it's dissection lab and some sort of classroom.
FS, It's a mix of different things. In the beginning of the year, it's DNA synthesis, replication, RNA transcription/translation. Then we touch on physiology then end with immunology.

looks like 4/6. Some students go into EVMS, some don't. I don't know how other schools see the program but it is definitely competitive and EVMS is good about sending letters of recommendation that explain what the program is.

anyone here do the 2 year program that i could ask a few questions? also, anyone know what a competitive gpa would be to get admitted? i'm nervous my stats are too low.

if you did the 1 year program you were probably applying to med school during that year then, right? is that in anyway beneficial if you have low stats because if you have to start applying the summer you won't have coursework, additional hours for ECs, etc to help boost your app? how did you decide between applying to the 1 vs 2 year program, and is there anything you have or other students have that make people better applicants for hte program? thanks!

anyone who has been accepted know what a competitive gpa would be? i want to figure out if its worth applying with a 3.1

My stats weren’t that high but I still got in. The program is meant to be an academic record booster so I don’t think they expect everyone applying to have stellar stats. If you look in the previous EVMS MM threads you’ll see quite a few people got in with ~3.1. If you have a demonstrated commitment to service I believe that will help as well. Good luck with your app!

My stats weren’t that high but I still got in. The program is meant to be an academic record booster so I don’t think they expect everyone applying to have stellar stats. If you look in the previous EVMS MM threads you’ll see quite a few people got in with ~3.1. If you have a demonstrated commitment to service I believe that will help as well. Good luck with your app!
Thank you! I’m super nervous so this is good to hear.by service do you mean volunteering?

Thank you! I’m super nervous so this is good to hear.by service do you mean volunteering?

Yep! Volunteering, working in the medical field or other areas that involve helping others in some capacity, etc. You’re definitely not alone. I think I’ve grown a couple gray hairs because of this application cycle, but there’s a saying “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take in life”. So I think you should go for it and apply!

Yep! Volunteering, working in the medical field or other areas that involve helping others in some capacity, etc. You’re definitely not alone. I think I’ve grown a couple gray hairs because of this application cycle, but there’s a saying “you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take in life”. So I think you should go for it and apply!
Awesome! Thank you so much!!

does anyone know when would be too late to apply for the 2 year program? I probably can't apply until mid april/may (need to take mcat) so any advice is appreciated.

if you did the 1 year program you were probably applying to med school during that year then, right? is that in anyway beneficial if you have low stats because if you have to start applying the summer you won't have coursework, additional hours for ECs, etc to help boost your app? how did you decide between applying to the 1 vs 2 year program, and is there anything you have or other students have that make people better applicants for hte program? thanks!

I did do the one year program and while it is worth it to apply to medical schools during that year you need to be cognizant about what programs you apply to, I ended up paying for several secondary fees to find out after-the-fact that the programs don’t look at students currently enrolled in SMP programs. As for the one verse two year program I actually talk with admissions staff for the medical Masters program and they were very helpful in determining which program was the right one for me.

does anyone know when would be too late to apply for the 2 year program? I probably can't apply until mid april/may (need to take mcat) so any advice is appreciated.

I believe it’s not too late but if you’re worried about when you can take the MCAT I recommend giving EVMS medical masters program admissions committee a phone call they’re very helpful.

Just submitted my app to the 1 year program! Just waiting on one transcript to get verified.

Hi all, I'm currently in the midst of preparing my app for Med Master's.

Just wondering, but do they ever make an exception for people who were just a point below the MCAT minimum for the one year?

And say I apply for the one year... would they defer me to the two year program if I didn't get in?

As far as I know, I think I fulfill all the other requirements.

Thanks for any advice guys!

Also good luck to everyone else applying right now!

Last edited:

Just wondering, but do they ever make an exception for people who were just a point below the MCAT minimum for the one year?

And say I apply for the one year... would they defer me to the two year program if I didn't get in?

As far as I know, I think I fulfill all the other requirements.

Thanks for any advice guys!

Also good luck to everyone else applying right now!

If they think you'd be better suited for the 2 year program while reviewing your app, they'll let you know and then you can apply for the two year program instead. However, the application fee for the new app may or may not be waived so I would contact them about what program they feel is best for you before submitting your app. They're very nice and provide a lot of support throughout the application process.

In reference to MCAT score, I would also give them a call about that. Since you're only one point away, it's worth asking about. The worst they can say is no. Good luck with your app!

Question: the application asks for MCAT score reports to be sent to [email protected]. I don't see them listed on AAMC. Do we just send a screenshot? Am I missing something?

If they think you'd be better suited for the 2 year program while reviewing your app, they'll let you know and then you can apply for the two year program instead. However, the application fee for the new app may or may not be waived so I would contact them about what program they feel is best for you before submitting your app. They're very nice and provide a lot of support throughout the application process.

In reference to MCAT score, I would also give them a call about that. Since you're only one point away, it's worth asking about. The worst they can say is no. Good luck with your app!
Thank you for your help! Hopefully I'll be able to join you in the program!

how much extra cirriculars did you guys have? tbh i don't have much and am worried it will hold me back

how much extra cirriculars did you guys have? tbh i don't have much and am worried it will hold me back

I don't think the number of extracurriculars matter as much as the amount of time you dedicated to being a part of those activities. Are they community service based?

Last edited:
I don't think the number of extracurriculars matter as much as the amount of time you dedicated to being a part of those activities. Are they community service based?
Some. Mostly have been only involved with a premed club on campus so we’ve volunteered at a few places through that. I have a few hours at the hospital. And then these next 2 months I’m going to try to get some extra hours at a soup kitchen and homeless shelter but I won’t have much or any when I am applying

Hello, I wanna apply to this program but have not taken Mcat. I’m taking it in May. Should I apply now and then send my scores or should I wait until I get my scores back. Also will it be too late applying and sending scores around June?

@Abraxas65 so other med schools don't look at your application while in the SMP. Not even fall grades?

Some schools dont look at your application period if you are in an SMP, but to my knowledge most do but definitely check with all the programs you are applying to in order to make sure.

As another poster stated give them a call and they can help tell you which program you are a best fit for. I know that they can wave the minimum requirements (they did for my gpa) but its not a guaranteed thing.

Some. Mostly have been only involved with a premed club on campus so we’ve volunteered at a few places through that. I have a few hours at the hospital. And then these next 2 months I’m going to try to get some extra hours at a soup kitchen and homeless shelter but I won’t have much or any when I am applying

There should be ample opportunity for volunteering/extracurriculars when in the program just make sure to not overload yourself and have it negatively effect your grades.

Hello, I wanna apply to this program but have not taken Mcat. I’m taking it in May. Should I apply now and then send my scores or should I wait until I get my scores back. Also will it be too late applying and sending scores around June?

I say apply now but I would also drop them a line and explain your situation and see what they say.

Hi everyone! I've been admitted to the EVMS MM one year program for 2019-2020 school year. I was hoping someone could tell me a bit more about what it is like living in Norfolk, VA and if anyone has lived in Hague Club apartments.
Fun fact: this is my first SDN post ever!
Thanks!

@Abraxas65 So after completing the SMP, is M1/M2 at EVMS significantly easier? Were you able to skip some of those classes that you did well in during the SMP and do a research block or something else? Finally out of all the students in the SMP class, approx how many do really well like 3.9-4.0, and is it possible to achieve a 4.0?

Regarding living arrangements, what's the best place to live that comes with all utilities including electricity, internet, and water, etc..?