EVMS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelly

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if EVMS screens its in-state applicants before sending a secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

Kelly: You could contact the Admissions office to see if they screen VA applicants. I received a secondary from them about a week ago....they haven't received my updated AMCAS scores from August 2000. Thus, it is my belief that they do....but based on what information is provided in your primary application.

According to EVMS's page in Medical School Admissions Requirements: "After obtaining a completed AMCAS application, a supplementary application packet is sent to those applicants receiving a favorable initial screening based on both objective and subjective factors in cluding grades, MCAT scores, medical exposure, and life experience."

Addendum:

"Preference is given to legal residents of Virginia. In addition, recognizing the goals set by the Virginia legislature, EVMS is seeking persons with personal and background traits which indicate a high potential for becoming a family physician, general pediatrician,general internist, or a general obstetrician." When EVMS first opened about 20 or so years ago, it gave preference to applicants from Tidewater and Appalachia, considered underserved areas. That was some time ago. It appears from the above paragraph that it is likely to still be so. "Preference" is just that; it does not exclude others from consideration.