EVMS SMP or Georgetown SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bioteacher

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
47 applications, 35 plus secondaries, one interview, one waitlist

4 post bac applications, 3 acceptances.

Is it that much easier to get accepted to post bacs or was I just on the edge of more interviews?

I got accepted to Georgetown today. I think I will go to EVMS because it has a high success rate of matriculation to their medical school. Does anyone know what percent of Georgetown SMP's get an acceptance immediately after the SMP?

Anyone have a comment?

Members don't see this ad.

bioteacher said:

Is it that much easier to get accepted to post bacs or was I just on the edge of more interviews?

I got accepted to Georgetown today. I think I will go to EVMS because it has a high success rate of matriculation to their medical school. Does anyone know what percent of Georgetown SMP's get an acceptance immediately after the SMP?

Anyone have a comment?

47 apps?!?! 35 secondaries???? jebus!

bioteacher said:

Anyone have a comment?

I think about 60% get an acceptance right out of the SMP, but not necessarily to Georgetown's medical school. I think they accept about 20% of the SMP class.

Where was your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the Gtown SMP, and would recommend it to almost everyone. However, I do have a friend here who really wishes he went to EVMS, because he feels like he would have gotten in medskool for sure. If you're a big fan of EVMS, you should go there, because their students have a "good" chance (I don't remember the numbers) of getting into their school. That's still not a sure thing, and the Georgetown program has better connections with other schools (I think).

These things aside, I think you'll have a better learning experience at Gtown, which is why it was the only SMP i considered.

batchild39 said:
I'm in the Gtown SMP, and would recommend it to almost everyone. However, I do have a friend here who really wishes he went to EVMS, because he feels like he would have gotten in medskool for sure. If you're a big fan of EVMS, you should go there, because their students have a "good" chance (I don't remember the numbers) of getting into their school. That's still not a sure thing, and the Georgetown program has better connections with other schools (I think).

These things aside, I think you'll have a better learning experience at Gtown, which is why it was the only SMP i considered.

I agree with Batchild about Georgetown being a better choice. Also, to be honest, I haven't heard a single good thing about EVMS (ie. their medical school).

MD Rapper said:
Hi... I'm the friend batchild is referring to...

I have many opinions about the SMP, both good and bad (but I'll save them because many of them are minor and subjective)... However, in my case in particular, I often feel that EVMS may have been a better program for me to attend because it seems to be more sure-shot than the gtown program... at least in terms of gaining acceptance right out of the program to the host medical school.

I know this is an interesting perspective but I always had qualms as to whether I could be at least within the top 20-30% of the SMP class... it turned out that my own initial assessment was on target... I ended up performing relatively "average" in the program. Let me explain...

This program is tough and there are more than a handful of people who are absolutely stellar students. For a little while before I entered the program, I thought I might be one of those excellent students because I was doing extremely well in the last couple of years of my undergraduate.... but once I got here, I realized that I am in a program full of students just as academically strong as me, or perhaps even stronger and more motivated. For one reason or another, I just wasn't able to rise into that group of students over the course of this past year...

With that said, it is arguable if there really is room for the "average" student at the Gtown SMP... I am still unsure because I have yet to get accepted to medical school. Let me make it clear that I'm not making judgements on the program based off this fact... I put trust in our directors and believe them when they say that many of us will get in with a reapplication if we end up not getting in this year.

As far as the EVMS program, I heard that almost all (like 90%) of the students in their program go on to EVMS the next year... very few 1 year masters programs can make that claim right off the top.

So why did I choose Gtown over EVMS in the end? There are several reasons

- I thought I should take a "risk" and go for it. Gtown has a pretty good acceptance rate overall (like 80% within 2 years of finishing the program). Also, Gtown is one of the few programs with connections to more schools than just itself... a definite plus. For other SMP's, it seems like a degree from their school would only be good for their school.... i.e. Drexel masters degree for Drexel medical school, rosalind franklin masters degree for rosalind franklin.

- Education: Gtown SMP is clearly superior in terms of preparing you for the medical school lifestyle and course-work. I can see why people who come out of this program end up being class leaders/top of their class where ever they go etc...

- Reputation: It's tough to pass up the opportunity to obtain a graduate degree from a school as well known as Georgetown.

- Finally, I thought of lifestyle as a small factor as well - Washington, DC is a simply a wonderful place. I don't know if would've been able to handle Norfolk, VA for 5 years. Oh yeah... I also had a friend who was going to the Gtown program with me, so it was nice to have that initial support.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your decision... both programs have their strong points.

Whatever the case, a medical school application is based on so many variables so what might be okay for one person might not be for another... i.e. an average performance in the SMP may be much better than your undergraduate record, or you might end up being a top student in the program etc etc.

Wow... I wrote a lot, I hope this helps... I remember being in the same position you are in last year and wishing someone could provide a thorough response.

Take care

The rapper has a lot of good points. EVMS, like RF and Drexel, may accept more people into their programs, but it will not help you very much at other schools. In retrospect, I can see why MD Rapper wishes he would have done a different program. But since no one can know beforehand how well they will do in a given program, I would really think about where you want to end up for medical school. Wherever you go, prepare to work your hardest. Doing mediocre in any one of these programs will not benefit you. Good luck!

premed said:
The rapper has a lot of good points. EVMS, like RF and Drexel, may accept more people into their programs, but it will not help you very much at other schools. In retrospect, I can see why MD Rapper wishes he would have done a different program. But since no one can know beforehand how well they will do in a given program, I would really think about where you want to end up for medical school. Wherever you go, prepare to work your hardest. Doing mediocre in any one of these programs will not benefit you. Good luck!

I think this statement is somewhat inaquarate and misleading. I disagree with respect to your statement about other smp programs not being as helpful as georgetown's in getting into other medical school. On what grounds do you make this claim? I'm not trying to flame or anything but all of these smp programs do indeed have some differences, but their underlying foundation is quite similar. Compete in medical school courses with medical students, do well and by doing so demonstating your aptitude which leads to an MD. How would one smp be more or less successful than another's when adcoms review the programs similarly? By reputation? Reputation of what? Do medical schools in your experience place much emphasis on the undergraduate institution you graduated from? Perhaps by a small degree but certainly nothing significant in my experience. These programs give you as much as you put into them and nothing more. In my opinion, you should go to the school with the best link to a medical school, admittance after all is why you pursued such a path right? So why take a risk? I really am gentle and fuzzy soul so don't regard my blabbering as a tantrum, simply just opinions I hold.

Tooth

ajnak182 said:
I think this statement is somewhat inaquarate and misleading. I disagree with respect to your statement about other smp programs not being as helpful as georgetown's in getting into other medical school. On what grounds do you make this claim? I'm not trying to flame or anything but all of these smp programs do indeed have some differences, but their underlying foundation is quite similar. Compete in medical school courses with medical students, do well and by doing so demonstating your aptitude which leads to an MD. How would one smp be more or less successful than another's when adcoms review the programs similarly? By reputation? Reputation of what? Do medical schools in your experience place much emphasis on the undergraduate institution you graduated from? Perhaps by a small degree but certainly nothing significant in my experience. These programs give you as much as you put into them and nothing more. In my opinion, you should go to the school with the best link to a medical school, admittance after all is why you pursued such a path right? So why take a risk? I really am gentle and fuzzy soul so don't regard my blabbering as a tantrum, simply just opinions I hold.

Tooth

No offense taken...rest assured. The reason that Georgetown SMP helps you get into other medical schools is that they specifically have close connections to several schools who will interview many students based on their performance in the program. If you apply to medical school while currently enrolled in a master's program, most medical schools will not really see your grades. However, at Georgetown, some schools will actually wait for your grades from first semester. The directors don't tell you this specifically and I can see why they wouldn't. Nothing at Georgetown is guaranteed and I can see why they wouldn't want that either. This is one of the complaints about Georgetown SMP. This year, every single person I know in the program who had above a 3.5 after first semester at Georgetown got interviews to a certain list of schools that Georgetown has close connections with. This is what I meant about Georgetown helping you out at other schools. If one were to do another program, do well and apply the following year, I'm sure it will help them out as you stated. But it is well known that Georgetown is the only SMP that has these relations with other schools. I hope it didn't sound like I was bashing EVMS. It does have its good points and again everyone should make the decision on their own.

Premed: I never said that Gtown is a better choice for this student. I think a good 50 or so people in our program would have prolly been better suited for an EVMS like program. Bottom line is we all want to be M.D.s (or D.O.s), and a lot of people here are in over their heads, so many would be suited by an "easier" program (I'm assuming this is true) like EVMS's. "Bioteacher" just has to figure where he or she stands.

MD Rapper: I was not referring to you. (Sorry to call you on it) Another friend of mine is actually waitlisted at EVMS. He really likes the school, but doesn't have the assurance of an acceptance. He's busting his butt here, and feels he could have made it into medskool by now if he did the EVMS SMP.

Sorry, just had to clear that up.

"Bioteacher", I dunno if you're even checking this thread anymore, but I think either route is good. All things equal I would def take "90%" odds after one year over 80% odds after two years. Thing I like about Gtown is that the program is ultra-rigorous, and I think that has really straightened me out and helped me figure out my priorities. You're gonna be working your ass off for 4 more years so this is def not necessary or for everyone. This is a bigger decision than most would think.

batchild39 said:
Premed: I never said that Gtown is a better choice for this student. I think a good 50 or so people in our program would have prolly been better suited for an EVMS like program. Bottom line is we all want to be M.D.s (or D.O.s), and a lot of people here are in over their heads, so many would be suited by an "easier" program (I'm assuming this is true) like EVMS's. "Bioteacher" just has to figure where he or she stands.

MD Rapper: I was not referring to you. (Sorry to call you on it) Another friend of mine is actually waitlisted at EVMS. He really likes the school, but doesn't have the assurance of an acceptance. He's busting his butt here, and feels he could have made it into medskool by now if he did the EVMS SMP.

Sorry, just had to clear that up.

"Bioteacher", I dunno if you're even checking this thread anymore, but I think either route is good. All things equal I would def take "90%" odds after one year over 80% odds after two years. Thing I like about Gtown is that the program is ultra-rigorous, and I think that has really straightened me out and helped me figure out my priorities. You're gonna be working your ass off for 4 more years so this is def not necessary or for everyone. This is a bigger decision than most would think.

Sorry about that Batchild. I meant I agree with you that I would recommend this program to just about everyone (unless I knew it wouldn't help them much).

premed said:
Sorry about that Batchild. I meant I agree with you that I would recommend this program to just about everyone (unless I knew it wouldn't help them much).

Gosh, why aren't we studying for Neuro? :scared:

premed said:
This year, every single person I know in the program who had above a 3.5 after first semester at Georgetown got interviews to a certain list of schools that Georgetown has close connections with.

i just want to caution people considering smp that this is not a definite. i had a 3.5 after the first semester, but, while i did receive an interview at georgetown, i did not get interviews at schools such as gwu, nymc, st louis, etc. i largely agree with premed - if you have good grades after the first semester, you can most likely expect to get interviews at certain schools. however, there are no definites or real linkages associated with this program.

to voice my opinion on the original issue, i think it's a much better idea to go with the school that continually gets students accepted into a wide range of schools and not just the school associated with the program. because i chose to do smp, i was lucky to get interviews at two really good schools this year. for me, it served as evidence that the georgetown smp really does carry some weight at schools around the country. best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
premed said:
No offense taken...rest assured. The reason that Georgetown SMP helps you get into other medical schools is that they specifically have close connections to several schools who will interview many students based on their performance in the program. If you apply to medical school while currently enrolled in a master's program, most medical schools will not really see your grades. However, at Georgetown, some schools will actually wait for your grades from first semester. The directors don't tell you this specifically and I can see why they wouldn't. Nothing at Georgetown is guaranteed and I can see why they wouldn't want that either. This is one of the complaints about Georgetown SMP. This year, every single person I know in the program who had above a 3.5 after first semester at Georgetown got interviews to a certain list of schools that Georgetown has close connections with. This is what I meant about Georgetown helping you out at other schools. If one were to do another program, do well and apply the following year, I'm sure it will help them out as you stated. But it is well known that Georgetown is the only SMP that has these relations with other schools. I hope it didn't sound like I was bashing EVMS. It does have its good points and again everyone should make the decision on their own.

Hey, premed, given that G-town has a good track record with those specific schools (I'm thinking you mean NYMC, Drexel, St. Louis, G-town, others?), does it make sense for those of us entering the program to apply to other schools? I'm trying to figure my list, and while I want to give myself the best chance possible, I don't want to spend $$$ if I shouldn't or don't need to.

Am I wasting my money applying to schools outside of those few that really have a good relationship with G-town?

imrep1972 said:
Hey, premed, given that G-town has a good track record with those specific schools (I'm thinking you mean NYMC, Drexel, St. Louis, G-town, others?), does it make sense for those of us entering the program to apply to other schools? I'm trying to figure my list, and while I want to give myself the best chance possible, I don't want to spend $$$ if I shouldn't or don't need to.

Am I wasting my money applying to schools outside of those few that really have a good relationship with G-town?

Yea, I am referring to those schools. During my SLU interview, my interviewer said that they interview everyone with a 3.5 or higher in the Georgetown SMP. However, a friend of mine didn't have a 3.5 and interviewed with me there on the same day and as medstylee stated, he/she did not get an interview there despite having above a 3.5. Also, by medstylee's application it is evident that you won't be wasting your money applying to some other schools. Like MDRapper, I am also from Cali and applied to quite a few schools to be safe. However, for me, I was interviewed at all the schools that Georgetown has close connections with but didn't get lucky with any others.

Thanks Everybody,

I really appreciate everyone's information, especially mdrapper and batschild. I was pretty sure about EVMS before this thread and now I am set on it.. I am 31 years old and don't want to have to apply a third year should things not go as planned at Gtown. I will go to EVMS and just kick some major @$$ (mainly my own!). I have a poor undergrad GPA and CA residency going against me.

EVMS is still not a sure thing and I've heard their success rate is around 75% (possibly better). Besides, I'm still waitlisted though I tend to think that it has already been lost to save myself any disappointment. Thanks everybody.

bioteacher said:
Thanks Everybody,

I really appreciate everyone's information, especially mdrapper and batschild. I was pretty sure about EVMS before this thread and now I am set on it.. I am 31 years old and don't want to have to apply a third year should things not go as planned at Gtown. I will go to EVMS and just kick some major @$$ (mainly my own!). I have a poor undergrad GPA and CA residency going against me.

EVMS is still not a sure thing and I've heard their success rate is around 75% (possibly better). Besides, I'm still waitlisted though I tend to think that it has already been lost to save myself any disappointment. Thanks everybody.

You didn't like my information? I'm hurt... :( Good luck next year!

bioteacher said:
Besides, I'm still waitlisted though I tend to think that it has already been lost to save myself any disappointment.

Which 1/3rd?

premed said:
Yea, I am referring to those schools. During my SLU interview, my interviewer said that they interview everyone with a 3.5 or higher in the Georgetown SMP. However, a friend of mine didn't have a 3.5 and interviewed with me there on the same day and as medstylee stated, he/she did not get an interview there despite having above a 3.5. Also, by medstylee's application it is evident that you won't be wasting your money applying to some other schools. Like MDRapper, I am also from Cali and applied to quite a few schools to be safe. However, for me, I was interviewed at all the schools that Georgetown has close connections with but didn't get lucky with any others.

Thanks Premed and MDRapper :)

jackbnimble said:
I would tend to agree with premed. The number of students able to enter othermed schools, after the Georgetown SMP, seems to trump all other programs? That must say something about the reputation of the program. If nothing else, 30 years of history says something positive, imho.

jackb

I guess that depends what you want out of a post-bac program. If you have a wide net of schools to choose from you are certainly hedging your bets, although I have never heard of georgetown SMP having any special linkages with any medical schools except of course for the few it admits into its own school of medicine. Georgetown claims 60% of its students get into medical school the 1st year and 80% the following. Those are impressive stats and speaks volumes about the program and its students. However, last year at EVMS 17 out of 20 students went straight into there MD program. Now that's as close to a sure thing as your going to get in this post-bac business and your going to have to agree with me on that. It all comes down to what you want to get out of a SMP program. If you want some variety and take some risk, by all means georgetown is your spot. You want the closest thing to a guarantee that you can get out there then EVMS is the place. FYI, i just got into georgetown today and am waitlisted at EVMS and I for one am not a gambler, well...not with my career anyway. If I get into EVMS guess where I'm headed kiddies.

Tooth

ajnak182 said:
FYI, i just got into georgetown today and am waitlisted at EVMS and I for one am not a gambler, well...not with my career anyway. If I get into EVMS guess where I'm headed kiddies.

Tooth

I guess EVMS. Did I guess right? What do I get?

premed said:
However, for me, I was interviewed at all the schools that Georgetown has close connections with but didn't get lucky with any others.

So for the people who have applied for the GU SMP for this fall and are filling out an AMCAS this June, can you guys tell me what exact schools you guys are talking about that GU has strong "relations" with? NY Med, Drexel, St Luois, Rosalind Franklin.... what else?

AHappyCalBear said:
So for the people who have applied for the GU SMP for this fall and are filling out an AMCAS this June, can you guys tell me what exact schools you guys are talking about that GU has strong "relations" with? NY Med, Drexel, St Luois, Rosalind Franklin.... what else?

I would add George Washington and maybe Loyola. Don't forget about Georgetown med too.

AHappyCalBear said:

Best thing to do is go to their website. They have a list of all the schools that students were accepted to for the last 3 years. From there, it is easy to figure which schools more readily recognize the SMP.

imrep1972 said:
Best thing to do is go to their website. They have a list of all the schools that students were accepted to for the last 3 years. From there, it is easy to figure which schools more readily recognize the SMP.

And don't forget your state schools. If you guys are from Cali, I suggest giving a shot at the UC's and USC.

imrep1972 said:

Where do they have the past three years listed? The only ones I could find were for 2000-2002.

off the top of my head, i know there have been people accepted to georgetown (a bunch), gwu, nymc (a bunch), uniformed services, vcu, maryland, wake forest, drexel (a bunch), jefferson, various state schools. i've heard that in the past few years a few physios have actually been accepted to top notch schools like columbia and university of chicago. but, that's obviously rare. i have not yet heard of anyone this year who has been accepted to such a school. there very well may be some though - i just haven't heard. there were a bunch of people who at least had interviews at great schools - einstein, case, usc, california schools. i'm not sure how those turned out. anyway, good luck to all you guys. if you have any questions about applying to schools while in the smp program, feel free to ask. obviously, i can only vouch for georgetown. i don't know anything about evms.

medstylee said:
off the top of my head, i know there have been people accepted to georgetown (a bunch), gwu, nymc (a bunch), uniformed services, vcu, maryland, wake forest, drexel (a bunch), jefferson, various state schools. i've heard that in the past few years a few physios have actually been accepted to top notch schools like columbia and university of chicago. but, that's obviously rare. i have not yet heard of anyone this year who has been accepted to such a school. there very well may be some though - i just haven't heard. there were a bunch of people who at least had interviews at great schools - einstein, case, usc, california schools. i'm not sure how those turned out. anyway, good luck to all you guys. if you have any questions about applying to schools while in the smp program, feel free to ask. obviously, i can only vouch for georgetown. i don't know anything about evms.

How much of this question will they address during orientation?

imrep1972 said:
How much of this question will they address during orientation?

i can't remember any real specifics, but i'm pretty sure the coordinators at least mentioned a few schools that we should all consider applying to. basically, those are schools that have taken several physios during the past years. everything about what schools to apply to, etc etc, that you'll hear during orientation is probably mentioned somewhere in this forum. so, i don't think there will be any surprises during orientation for you guys who frequent this site. best of luck.

imrep1972 said:
You are correct, of course, Tacrum. I did not look closely enough at the dates, before I spoke.

:) Of course I'm right. I'm always right. (Not). It would be nice if they had the information for the more recent years though.

I was just accepted to Georgetown SMP, and I was accepted to EVMS back in March.

They're both amazing programs and that is the reason I am having a very difficult time deciding. EVMS is safer because of the high linkage, but Georgetown has great numbers and relationships with other medical schools....

Stats: cGPA 3.38, sGPA 3.28, 30Q, 3 years Research, 1 pub, great EC, hundreds of hours of clinical experience, worked many jobs throughout college.

Any advice would be freakin great!

I was just accepted to Georgetown SMP, and I was accepted to EVMS back in March.

They're both amazing programs and that is the reason I am having a very difficult time deciding. EVMS is safer because of the high linkage, but Georgetown has great numbers and relationships with other medical schools....

Stats: cGPA 3.38, sGPA 3.28, 30Q, 3 years Research, 1 pub, great EC, hundreds of hours of clinical experience, worked many jobs throughout college.

Any advice would be freakin great!
I'd break this down into 5 possibilities.

#1: you do either program and don't do well. Avoid this possibility at all costs, because then you're out $50k with nothing gained. Clear your calendar for either program.

#2: you do EVMS, you do well, and then you start med school at EVMS the following year. If you get honors in some classes, then your first year of med school you don't have to retake those classes (you still have to pay tuition). This frees you up to do research or work or whatnot.

#3: you retake your MCAT this summer only if you can get 34+, and use that and your concurrent SMP performance as leverage to get into a FL school, in order to get cheap tuition.

#4 you do either EVMS or Gtown, you do well, and you do same-year-as-SMP apps to a bunch of other schools with your existing MCAT, and you cross your fingers. (Note that in the EVMS case, you have EVMS as your safety school; not in the Gtown case.)

#5: you do Gtown, you do well, you then retake the MCAT for a 34+, and you apply early & broadly after finishing Gtown, hoping for FL schools.

These overlap, but I think you get the idea.

Best of luck to you.

btw, as was mentioned in the EVMS thread, in the last 2 med masters classes of 23 students, about 5 in each class got in elsewhere, and about 14 got into EVMS. I don't have a lot of details about the remaining 4-5 students who don't get in, other than to say holy crap don't get a C in biochem, it's the graveyard of champions.

Somebody earlier in this thread (in 2005) said they hadn't heard a single good thing about EVMS. Here's one: it's a US MD school. Here's another: it's where the first US test tube baby was conceived. One more: the EVMS chief of surgery is the president of the ACS. EVMS isn't interested in being Gtown or Harvard or UVa, it's not that kind of school. I'm bringing this stuff up because if you're doing an SMP, school prestige is pretty much off the table, and any US MD school that will accept you is a gift. That goes for Drexel, NYMC, RFU and the other lower tier med schools that host SMPs. Doing the Gtown SMP doesn't get very much Gtown on you, but yeah, if you can get into Gtown med school you'll have more opportunities than you would at EVMS. I suggest, however, that the Gtown SMP grads who get into Gtown are the 3.4+/34+ kids.

Best of luck to you.