This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

athlete2MD

Reaction score
Hello, as May 1st is quickly coming up I am stuck between two schools and would like any advice to help me decide.

I am a TN resident, not quite sure what specialty I am interested in yet but have started to gain some soft interest in anes, Gen surg, and possibly EM. I have a significant other that would be moving with me and would be looking for opportunities to work as well.

ETSU:
Pros:
-IS (cheaper tution ~ 68k per year COA)
-About 2 hours from both my family and my significant others family
-Admin seemed to really care about the students and wanted to help in anyway they could
-small class size
-have a focus on rural medicine in TN which I am somewhat interested in working in a smaller hospital/healthcare setting with whatever I do
-P/F classes with old NBME questions but they do require actual in class lecture time

Cons:
-A lot of there focus seems to be on primary care, and although I haven't ruled it out, it hasn't been sparked my interest just yet. They do match students into competitive specialties just at a lower rate.
-Don't have home Anes or EM program but do have Gen surg ( also less home residency programs overall)
-Not ranked as high as EVMS, with slightly less research opportunities (not super into research but I know its often necessary)
-Significant other would have a slightly harder time finding a job in the area as it is smaller city

EVMS:
Pros:
-more well known school on the east coast than ETSU with possibly more research opportunities
-also have some more competitive home residency programs and match students into more competitive residencies
-location of the school is right near Virginia beach
-I have heard their ultrasound program is very good
-would have more opportunities for my significant other for a job as its a bigger city.
-P/F as well with optional lectures
-Old NBME questions for exams

Cons:
-OOS (higher tuition ~90k per year COA)
- Around 7.5 hours away from home with no one that we know in the area
-larger class size

Along with these two schools, I have been accepted to UofL rural program where I would do my last two years at rural site in KY. I received a small scholarship and would be working 1on1 with the attendings but would not have any residents to work with as there are no residency programs at that hospital. Most of the graduates of this program go into family medicine which I am not sure I am as interested in. My significant other would likely not have as many opportunities in the small town as well and we both believe that UofL would be my third choice behind EVMS and ETSU. Just thought that I would at least mention it.

At this time, I have not heard anything further about scholarships, aid, etc but will hopefully be coming out soon. My significant other and family would also be helping me out in some small ways including expenses like food, part of rent, insurance so my COA may not be as high.

Although I do not know exactly what I would be interested in specializing in yet, I believe that I would be more interested in doing something that has procedural components. I would appreciate any input possible as I am really stuck and understand the benefits of both schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think scholarships might be a big factor in your decision. Given the info you've presented so far I would lean slightly towards EVMS. The CoA difference (~80-90k total over 4 years) might seem significant, but I think EVMS just opens way more doors -- these two schools aren't exactly near the same caliber. Aside from the cost, I would not consider EVMS's cons to really be cons -- you've mentioned your significant other would be moving with you, and the larger class size I would see as a bonus just because it's easier to find people you would get along with, especially moving to a city where you know no one currently.

The Trover Program at UofL and ETSU are both similar in their training for rural students. If you’re looking for autonomy and a supportive environment, I’d pick one of those two. UofL is extremely expensive for OOS so ETSU is the clear winner.

However, I feel you are leaning towards EVMS with everything mentioned, and that’ll probably be the best fit for you. New cities are fun, and they’ll have plenty of opportunities for you regarding whatever specialty you choose. P/F + Optional Lecture is another seriously underrated pro of EVMS!

Disclaimer: Personal connections to both UofL and ETSU so it breaks my heart 💔 but I feel you’d be better off at EVMS everything considered. Congrats on the acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think scholarships might be a big factor in your decision. Given the info you've presented so far I would lean slightly towards EVMS. The CoA difference (~80-90k total over 4 years) might seem significant, but I think EVMS just opens way more doors -- these two schools aren't exactly near the same caliber. Aside from the cost, I would not consider EVMS's cons to really be cons -- you've mentioned your significant other would be moving with you, and the larger class size I would see as a bonus just because it's easier to find people you would get along with, especially moving to a city where you know no one currently.
I appreciate your input. I think the financial info for both schools should be coming out soon which would help as well but I see what you mean about EVMS vs ETSU. Bigger class size usually mean greater opportunities/doors which help. Would it make a difference in a decision if I was wanting to practice in the southeast rather than up in the Virginia/DC/ northern states?

The Trover Program at UofL and ETSU are both similar in their training for rural students. If you’re looking for autonomy and a supportive environment, I’d pick one of those two. UofL is extremely expensive for OOS so ETSU is the clear winner.

However, I feel you are leaning towards EVMS with everything mentioned, and that’ll probably be the best fit for you. New cities are fun, and they’ll have plenty of opportunities for you regarding whatever specialty you choose. P/F + Optional Lecture is another seriously underrated pro of EVMS!

Disclaimer: Personal connections to both UofL and ETSU so it breaks my heart 💔 but I feel you’d be better off at EVMS everything considered. Congrats on the acceptances!
I understand what you mean about the new city. Norfolk/VA beach area seems like a fun place to live for a few years. It just seems daunting at times having to leave my family and friends back in TN for that time which would likely ease with time. Like I asked in the previous reply, if I was wanting to possibly do residency and practice in the south east states including TN/GA/Carolinas and surrounding area would it make a difference as to which school?

I appreciate your input. I think the financial info for both schools should be coming out soon which would help as well but I see what you mean about EVMS vs ETSU. Bigger class size usually mean greater opportunities/doors which help. Would it make a difference in a decision if I was wanting to practice in the southeast rather than up in the Virginia/DC/ northern states?

ETSU is likely fine then, especially for residency programs in TN and in neighboring states.

ETSU is likely fine then, especially for residency programs in TN and in neighboring states.
I appreciate the input, would ETSU be better known and regarded by programs in the south east compared to EVMS? Or would that difference be negligible due to the higher standing of EVMS as a whole?

I appreciate the input, would ETSU be better known and regarded by programs in the south east compared to EVMS? Or would that difference be negligible due to the higher standing of EVMS as a whole?

I would consider it negligible. We do not know what things will be like 4 years for sure, but there were many unmatched spots for EM. The home program for Gen Surg helps as well.

Reactions: 1 users