1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

EVMS waitlist

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by dookbloo, Apr 13, 2004.

1. dookbloo

dookbloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hi,
    i was wondering if anyone had any info pertaining to EVMS. i was put in the top 1/3 waitlist, so i was wondering what type of movement occurs in it. anyone have any specific numbers or advice?

i would have done a search, but it doesnt seem like its completely functional. anyone know when thatll be fixed? thanks for your help

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

I just received my refund check from them so I assume another spot just opened. Good Luck!

4. dookbloo

dookbloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

anyone else?

5. HBMD

HBMD Beer does a body good
    7+ Year Member

I interviewed quite a way back, but from what I remember they DO accept a considerable number of applicants from the top third "priority" off the waitlist. How did you find out what your position was on the waitlist? Call, email?

6. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    it's funny how they just don't tell you where you are on the waitlist. When i called them the lady sounded pissed that I didn't know they place us in three tiers. MY student host said it's quite possible to get off the waitlist there. Do any of you guys know if you can be bumped down? I am in top third but have been there since november.

7. hapkidochic

hapkidochic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i interviewed in november and was waitlisted in the top tier. And then i was accepted and february. I just withdrew the other day.

8. dookbloo

dookbloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

does anyone know how many people are waitlisted and how many are in the top tear? does top 1/3 pretty much mean youre going to get in? thanks.

9. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician

That would be pretty tight. It would also make my decision much harder.

10. dookbloo

dookbloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

bloop................

11. tjc

tjc Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Some bumping does happen. Unfortunately, I was dropped to the middle 3rd when I checked in February. I heard that interviews are over now, so if you are still in the upper third, I can't imagine why you wouldn't stay there.

12. ncstatemed

ncstatemed Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that EVMS's waitlist is moving. Accepted 5/20/2004 by mail, it is a large letter. I am turning down the acceptance so good luck to everyone waiting. BTW I was told I was in the upper third of the waitlist back in Feb. but had not heard anything since then.

13. megiro.med

megiro.med Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i was in top 3rd, and withdrew today. good luck to those waiting!

14. franklinthedog

franklinthedog Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thank you megiro.med. Maybe they'll offer an acceptance to me by the time I'm a grandfather :smuggrin:

thanks though and good luck!

15. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

bump/anyone called them or recieved an acceptance?/what's the latest?

16. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

bump/shove/why aren't we hearing more about the EVMS waitlist if it's supposed to move so much?

17. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

any news/bump?

18. nvapman

nvapman New Member

i talked to the admissions office recently. They said that the waitlist isn't moving much now and so far hasn't really moved as much this year as it has in years past. Apparently, it got more competitive this year.

19. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

Thanks, I agree with you that it's pretty stagnant. I keep hearing how great it is to be in the top third, yet no news. I have a friend in the same boat too, oh well....hopefully it'll change.

20. supergrrl

supergrrl Junior Member

I talked to the admissions folks today and they tell me the class is not yet full, and they expect to see movement on the waitlist right up till the week before matriculation. The waitlist is just moving very slowly because pple with more than 1 acceptance (this includes the batch that was just accepted off the waitlist) are taking a long time with their replies. So don't lose hope! :luck:

21. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i just called the admissions office and was told that they took a group of people off the waitlist today. The lady told me to call tomorrow and speak to someone named Sue??? I think she is the director of admissions. Anyway I guess a lot should be happening in the next few weeks.

22. supergrrl

supergrrl Junior Member

That's great news!!!

23. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

Hey Merc44 (sp?),

In reference to yesterday's post....

i just called the admissions office and was told that they took a group of people off the waitlist today. The lady told me to call tomorrow and speak to someone named Sue??? I think she is the director of admissions. Anyway I guess a lot should be happening in the next few weeks.

I think this means you're accepted. Sue, could mean Susan Castora, the Director of Admissions. Anyhow, good luck on your phone call and if you can, find out what area of the top third they are offering acceptances to. Have they offered acceptances to everyone in the top third, or what? Are they to the bottom area of the top third yet? I think they'll be wiling to answer your questions esp. if you get in, you can say, "What area of the top third was I/am I in?"

Any info will be totally helpful, as they've got to get through the entire third sometime this summer, hopefully soon. Good luck to everyone!!

24. McP

McP Member
    10+ Year Member

That's fanastic! Keep us posted. :luck:

25. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    unfortunately i have a final today and I don't think I will have a chance to call the school. It was Susan Castora, but I'm not sure if it means I am accepted. Unfortunately this isn't really the waitlist I want to be taken off and it will force me to make a real tough decision in the next few weeks if I am in fact accepted.

26. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    dammit. Well there isn't any news, I am still on the waitlist in the middle to lower half of the upper third, hahaha. I talked to Susan Castora and she said that I'm not in a bad position and to send updated material. I would reccomend calling especially since she was forthcoming about my placement. Good luck everyone.

27. supergrrl

supergrrl Junior Member

I was wondering, how stringent are they in terms of pulling people off the waitlist based on how high the applicants are ranked within each tier? If say, applicant A has a higher 'ranking' than applicant B within the top-third, but let's pretend applicant B has bombarded the office with calls/letters/emails whereas applicant A does nothing... Would they still adhere to the strict ranking of the list, and give A an acceptance before B?

Also, would they "skip" over applicants who are higher-ranked, and give acceptances to next applicants down on the list based on demographic reasons (state of origin, age, sex etc. )?

28. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    she told me to send updates, I think showing interest helps alot

29. supergrrl

supergrrl Junior Member

That's good to know... I was thinking of cooling off the 'interest' bit a little since I've been harrassing them enough lately, but I guess I'd rather risk being pesky than being passed over...

30. callendm

callendm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Supergrrl

I would most certainly advise you show as much interest as possible. Within a degree of appropriateness that I am sure you can gauge they will not hurt you. Ultimately you will never know if sending letters/phone calls will be influential with respect to your candidacy. Frankly, they will not hurt you so give it your all. I do not know where you stand with respect to other schools. However, I would recommend that you write a letter of interest or letter of intent to EVMS if you have not done so yet.

31. supergrrl

supergrrl Junior Member

callendm, I've already sent them updates and the interest letters. It's just the calling part I'm a little hesistant about, because when I get nervous, my voice gets weird and high-pitchy, so I sound like a flake/ditz over the phone. Which is not good. In the meantime, I'll keep hoping that something will work out. Here's a few :luck: :luck: :luck: to myself and everyone else waiting on EVMS!

32. MErc44

MErc44 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I also feel like a fool calling the admissions office to ask about my status. It's hard to do but I think it is necessary.

33. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

anyone called recently? updates?

34. McP

McP Member
    10+ Year Member

Don't know if this helps, but a friend of mine just got in Monday. I guess it shows definite movement. Good luck to y'all! :luck:

35. KBSO

KBSO Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi guys,

I am a current student at EVMS and I can honestly say about half of my classmates came off the waitlist. This might be trite, but keep sending EVMS updates on what you are doing and continue to express interest in EVMS, because it helps. I don't know much the logistics of the waitlist, having experience it myself, but some of my classmates told me they were not in the top third and still managed to get in. The common denominator in these cases was expressing their interest over and over again. I'm not trying to give you a false impression or false hope, but waitlists are volatile and it's not over until the start of school. Dr. McCombs is a great dean, and honest, you will enjoy coming to EVMS.

One classmate got a call in the morning of the start of school and drive in to start, so anything is possible.

Good luck, hope to see you in Fall. :)

36. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

After 400 million letters and 400 phone calls, I got in!!!! What a way to start the weekend!!!!

Best of luck to all of you, it will pay off!

37. tjc

tjc Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yea franklin!! I've been rooting for you!

I called EVMS a couple of days ago and even though I wasn't squarely in the upper third (I'm close) she said I still had a "good chance".

Thanks for keeping us updated. Hope to see you there in the fall!

38. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

tjc...i think we interviewed on the same day, Nov. 12?

anyway, you'll get in and i hope it comes soon!

39. crazy250

crazy250 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

would you turn down evms for one of your DO schools?

40. tjc

tjc Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Yup, I was in your interview group! Congrats again!

41. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

would you turn down evms for one of your DO schools?

most likely, yes. And I feel bad for saying that, because I believe there is truly no difference between an MD and DO. And, as a practicing MD, I will bend over backwards to make sure DO's get the same recognition as MD's. To me, the adv's of an MD degree are:

1--studying for one board, not two
    2--easier (in my opinion) to getting into a specialty (EVMS has a derm program)
    3--not having to add the OMM class into an already packed schedule (don't get me wrong, I think OMM is very valuable esp. for the patient)
    4--I am from the South where DO numbers are still growing, and have been asked many times "What's a DO?" even by my parents, and it would be tough to have to explain my career after the amount of true hard work it takes to get into DO school

Ok, gotta start my weekend now...

42. McP

McP Member
    10+ Year Member

Congrats!!! That's wonderful!! See you in August!

~McP

43. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

Thanks MCP, I'm gonna move over to the EVMS Class of 2008 thread, hope everyone else does to.

Congrats to you too and have a great weekend!

44. domagnet

domagnet Member
    7+ Year Member

I met a whole bunch of you throughout the application year while you were on interviews, and I hope you all get in and choose to come to our school. Of course, I take pride in our school and only want those of you who really want to be here to come. I chose EVMS over lots of other schools and was wondering how those of you who chose against it came to your decision. For those of you who are coming, we're preparing to greet you at orientation and working on your first week of fun activities. If there's something we can do to help you in the process, let us know. Good luck to all of you and don't lose hope... lots of people get in late in the cycle.

~Member of EVMS class of 2007

45. tjc

tjc Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  46. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

hey tjc,

send the dean, dr. mccombs, an email saying you want to go there. Call Mrs. Castora and ask her first though.

It worked for me, and I'll be withdrawing from EVMS very soon. So if you get it done soon, maybe you'll get my spot.

Good luck!

47. tjc

tjc Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Thanks Franklin,

I just sent the e-mail a few minutes ago! Best of luck at UNC!

48. franklinthedog

7+ Year Member

tjc,

check your pm's, i just sent you a message.

good luck,
    franklin

49. tjc

tjc Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I just got the phone call today! For those of you on the waitlist, keep calling and mailing and best of luck to all of you!

50. callendm

callendm Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    TJC,

Looks like your e-mail to Dr. McCombs worked real well for you. Who called you to offer your acceptance and what did they say? Must have been really exciting.

Dave

51. tjc

tjc Member
    7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    The phone call was from Sue Castora. She said basically that there was a spot if I needed it. I got so unglued from the good news (my one and only acceptance and after waiting for so long!) that I ALMOST forgot to ask her when orientation started. Thankfully, I was able to confirm my address with Ms. Castora without peeing in my pants.

I few minutes later, I checked my e-mail and Dr. McCombs said he'd be seeing me in August!

I'm kinda numb right now, because today was actually the day that I was going to resubit my AMCAS for next year. Relief and joy all rolled into one. Haha, now I can pay to have my timing belt replaced for my cross country trip over to VA.