Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got a place at the Pembroke towers too. I guess we'll be neighbors UMGoBlue1, what floor you on?

oh and some updates for everyone. I visited and was able to get a tour with Dr. Meyer. Rose has been out due to family issues for the past two weeks. I'm not sure when she's returning. I met Nicole Priest's replacement, Lee Solomon. She was really helpful, and was the one to set up an appointment for me with Dr. Meyer. Make sure to stop by the financial aid office and ask for proof of acceptance and a breakdown of the financial aid. When I submitted rental applications, most wanted copies.

For those looking for housing, it seemed like rentals in the larger apartment complexes was getting pretty slim. Make sure to call around and keep checking, sometimes apartments pop up. You can also try cavalierland.com for more affordable apartments. They're mostly OooOlder, in Ghent, and pretty large for the price. Wood floors and all that good stuff. Pretty cool atmosphere in a few of them, kind of like the haunted mansion in disneyland hehe. I have some pics of the interiors if any of you guys would like to see them to get an idea of how they are. Dr. Meyer also said that so far there are 24 confirmed people in the med masters right now and movement has been slow. Good luck for those who are waiting though!

Members don't see this ad.

Figured I'd make a realtor plug for people still searching. I do not rent from this guy, so I don't owe him anything. However, there's this guy who works with Nancy Chandler realty named Bernie Hartwig who is a a great guy and if you're in Norfolk he'll come out and walk around with you and show you places he's renting. He's almost always got a number of options, and is extremely easy to get along with.

if you're struggling, he's definitely worth a shot.

You can reach him at [email protected] or a 24-hr direct line via 757-222-6202.

I plan on getting a spot in the Pembroke towers as well. I talked to them last Thursday and a lady said that they only have 2 1 bedrooms available and 2 2 bedrooms all on the 12th floor. When i asked why they were all on the 12th she said something about a fire on that floor that took out a few units... anyone know more about this? The lady wouldnt tell me anything about it and didnt really seem to know much about anything else. I plan on submitting my app on Monday despite how incompetent that lady was. I'm probably getting a 1 bedroom unless someone wants to room with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone,
i finally registered after lurking for over a year i think! i'll be doing the med master's in the fall, and pretty excited about it. i'm from ny, though, so i am a little nervous about the adjustment. BUT i just signed for a great apt near the school, and i'm looking for 2 roommates so pm me if you want some details.

For those of you guys who are applying to med school right now, are you guys sending letters to the schools you're applying to letting them know about the SMP? I've submitted a few secondaries so far with letters stating to wait for my fall grades in the SMP before making a final decision on my application. I've described what an SMP is and the med student courses I will be taking. I've also stated that they should expect to receive a letter in January from EVMS describing my performance and traits in the program.

For me, I think if I dont send a letter, my application will get shoved into a pile to never be looked at again because my GPA is a disaster zone (Especially for schools that screen for secondaries). I mentioned the EVMS SMP in my PS and my AMCAS coursework but I have a feeling that might be overlooked.

Any thoughts?

FYI, I just submitted my DO app 2 days ago and my AMCAS like 2 weeks ago. My AMCAS was verified on 7/4.

I would suggest making contact with their admissions person and letting them know what you are doing and to not make a decision until they get the grades. I did this at one of the schools I applied to and they promised up and down that they would hold off the two extra weeks to get my fall grades, only to get a rejection email the next night.

I realllllly need a roommate for the fall. Anyone interested or know anyone who needs a roommate???

Thanks,

Kate

Hey Diamonds/Kate - I'm looking for one too (will be starting med masters this year).

Sorry didn't get to this earlier Blindkutha, just got back from vacation. I was told that there was a fire on the 12th floor that it was isolated to one unit. There was water damage to a few other units. I was able to visit a 1 bedroom on the 12th floor and everything was changed out and looked pretty good. There's still some construction going on up there so there are workers going through the elevators and hallways on the 12th floor. They don't know what caused the fire. I was told that the walls are concrete and helped to isolate the fire to one room, this comforted me a little. I'm living on the 2nd floor so the jump down isn't too bad hehe. About the woman you spoke to, she's an extremely nice, helpful elderly woman, but a little forgetful. Just be sure to keep reminding her of things.

Hey I was wondering as an EVMS student how do we have access to the YMCA? Do we have to show an EVMS ID badge in order to gain entry for free or some type of gym pass? Reason why I'm asking is I'm moving to Norfolk in the beginning of August and was wondering if I would be allowed to have access to the gym before orientation since EVMS students are allowed to use the facilities for free.

I have a question that, at best is neurotic, at worst is kind of stupid...

What do people wear during the orientation week?

what's the earliest I could send in my application for fall 08? i think most smps start their app cycle jan1st but with evms's early deadline (apr1) i was thinking they might start it up sooner...thanks for the replies.

Members don't see this ad :)
what's the earliest I could send in my application for fall 08? i think most smps start their app cycle jan1st but with evms's early deadline (apr1) i was thinking they might start it up sooner...thanks for the replies.

When I contacted the admissions office last year around October for fall 2007 entry, they said they were already accepting applications...so around that time at least. Drexel was the same. Not all smps start their application period in January. Georgetown started in January and Boston started in February.

thanks for the reply 'science, guess i should start working on those apps!
gluck @ EVMS too!

thanks for the reply 'science, guess i should start working on those apps!
gluck @ EVMS too!

No problem and thanks! The application for EVMS wasn't long from what I remember - just a 1-pg. personal statement, but I'd get started on asking for letters of rec. Good luck!

I have a question that, at best is neurotic, at worst is kind of stupid...

What do people wear during the orientation week?

Haha...I hope we can be casual...since I hear it's really hot and humid right now.

Has anybody heard anything from EVMS about orientation yet?

did u guys ask for new lors? or just use the ones that u had gathered for your med school apps?

for my ps im going to tweak it a little bit so i can relate it to EVMS and how it can help me fulfill my ultimate goal of becoming a physician. just a stop on my long journey...

what do you guys think? btw this is a great thread, everyone's been so supportive of each other hopefully the fall 08' thread is as great.

Personally I am going to be wearing a button down shirt with no tie, you get your I.D. card made the first day of orientation, so you want to look decent, there is no "Code" (last year I saw everything from ties to t-shirts), but I want the pic on my I.D. to be professional.

Just as an update, I havent received anything about orientation or financial aid yet.

I'll be visiting the area next week from the 24th-26th.

I will also be living in Pembroke Towers next year. I plan on moving out there on or around August 10th.

did u guys ask for new lors? or just use the ones that u had gathered for your med school apps?

for my ps im going to tweak it a little bit so i can relate it to EVMS and how it can help me fulfill my ultimate goal of becoming a physician. just a stop on my long journey...

what do you guys think? btw this is a great thread, everyone's been so supportive of each other hopefully the fall 08' thread is as great.

I asked for new LORs that I asked the individual letter writers to send straight to the school (gave them stamped envelopes along with some info on the school, my personal statement and why I wanted to go there). I did this mainly because I did not have a pre-advisory committee letter at the time so I couldn't use the LORs I got for med school apps anyhow, but I think letters that are made especially for the program are good to have. Tweaking the ps sounds good. I kept mine the same and made my concluding paragraph about EVMS.

im wondering whether i should mention my subpar ug gpa in my ps...im kind of inclined not too since if i had a good gpa i wouldnt be applying to this program..any thoughts?

If you can show an upward trend in grades (better grades at the end than at the begining) you should say that for sure, they like to see that if you have a "sub par" gpa, that at least you kinda got your act together there at the end

Did anyone hear back about loans or anything?

Also, what do I do about a transcript from EVMS? I listed all the classes on the EVMS syllabus on my AMCAS application, but do who do I ask for a transcript?

Dont worry about loan stuff, if it is late then you can get an emergency loan from the school (they front the money then take what they gave you out of the loans you receive).

About the transcripts: the earliest you can get a transcript is end of December/ early January, with the first semester classes on it. Anytime before then would just be a complete waste, with only a blank page because you don't have any grades.

Did anyone hear back about loans or anything?

Also, what do I do about a transcript from EVMS? I listed all the classes on the EVMS syllabus on my AMCAS application, but do who do I ask for a transcript?

Uconnjl: If you're waitiing for your amcas to be reviewed, and the only thing that's keeping it from being complete is the evms transcript, call AAMC and let them know that you don't have any grades yet and ask them to change the status to "transcript not needed." They did that for me right away, and I was "ready for review" soon after.

Packlax: Thanks for the info about the loans. I called the finaid office yesterday and was told to expect my award letter at the end of the month! Sadly, I also received my bill the other day too, but now I'm not as stressed.

Good point about the AMCAS thing, i didnt even think about that. I did the same thing as science last year and it worked.

Hey everybody...i just wanted to say good luck to all the future med masters and of COURSE to my med masters from this past year...paxlax and phishfood..hope u guys are having a great summer. I was a med master last year so if anyone has any questions and what not..feel free to message.

I've been waiting so long, I thought this day would never come....

I'm in!!!! I received a Fed Ex package yesterday. I had given up hope.

It took me about 45 seconds to sign the forms and send them back. :D

For those of you who have received any information, I would greatly appreciate anything you can forward to me.

I've been waiting so long, I thought this day would never come....

I'm in!!!! I received a Fed Ex package yesterday. I had given up hope.

It took me about 45 seconds to sign the forms and send them back. :D

For those of you who have received any information, I would greatly appreciate anything you can forward to me.

Congratulations! I haven't received ANY information regarding orientation week or financial aid so if anyone else knows anything, please share :).

Fin aid is still rolling out, (They do it according to program and work their way down, and they are still processing the MD '11's). Dont worry about it too much, like I said if you get in to trouble once you start school, you can get an emergency loan from the school and they just take the money you owe the school out of the monies that they were going to give you from your official loans.

Orientation starts Monday Aug 13. I have the official schedule on my computer, so if you want it PM me with your email adress and I will send it to you (Orientation is the same for MD, MM, and Art Therapy; you will see the MD's every day in class, but after oritentation you will prob never see the art therapy students again)

Feel free to call the fin aid office, the director Michelle Byers and the assistant director Kim Botdorf are both very very nice and extremely helpful (I talked to Ms. Byers on the phone yesterday for about 45 min). Be nice to these people, they help you get your money.

Fin aid is still rolling out, (They do it according to program and work their way down, and they are still processing the MD '11's). Dont worry about it too much, like I said if you get in to trouble once you start school, you can get an emergency loan from the school and they just take the money you owe the school out of the monies that they were going to give you from your official loans.

Orientation starts Monday Aug 13. I have the official schedule on my computer, so if you want it PM me with your email adress and I will send it to you (Orientation is the same for MD, MM, and Art Therapy; you will see the MD's every day in class, but after oritentation you will prob never see the art therapy students again)

Hey man. you know, the class schedule is also listed on the evms webmail under 'public folders'.

If someone wanted to start a google group for your class (EVMS Med Master 08), some of us who already have access to things like the orientation schedule, class schedule, and book list can put those files there.

Hey man. you know, the class schedule is also listed on the evms webmail under 'public folders'.

If someone wanted to start a google group for your class (EVMS Med Master 08), some of us who already have access to things like the orientation schedule, class schedule, and book list can put those files there.

Word.
I second that.

to last year's med master's students who applied to medical school during the smp year, how understanding are professors if you miss class to fly out to interviews? can tests be rescheduled or is it more reasonable to reschedule the interview? also, if you miss a few days of class, is it difficult to catch up?

thanks!

to last year's med master's students who applied to medical school during the smp year, how understanding are professors if you miss class to fly out to interviews? can tests be rescheduled or is it more reasonable to reschedule the interview? also, if you miss a few days of class, is it difficult to catch up?

thanks!

no one cares if you miss lecture. If you have to miss a small group, just tell them beforehand and they won't care. Tests can be rescheduled with prior notice. It's not necessary to go to lectures. You'll just fall behind if you don't do the work on your own time.

You'll just fall behind if you don't do the work on your own time.

This is certainly a personal decision. I did not miss any lectures and still did fine in my classes without falling behind, so it is absolutely possible to do well without missing any classes.

I had several interview and it really is no big deal to miss class. Just like phishfood said, only for small classes and the labs (like histo) you should tell them. even if you don't and tell them afterwards, its really no big deal. they are very understanding.

also for missing class, most of the lectures are recorded so you can still listen to what was said during class.

My roommate and I (former med master) are going out to some bars around colley tonight. give me a call at 203-561-9085 if you wanna meet up!!! We live on colley so I'm sure we can put someone up for the night if they don't want to drive.

Da Nealson - I seem to recall from my interview day that the students record the lectures. Is this correct? Maybe these questions will be answered on orientation day but if not, should we designate someone to record the lectures and does the school have a site where we can post them for everyone to download them?

Yes the lectures were recorded last year, and in the odd event that it is not set up to do the same this year, it certainly would not be a problem to do so. It was pretty well organized with the lectures posted to synapse for everybody to download. Once there was a test, the lectures from the previous section were put on a disc and placed on reserve in the library. There was student who came in and set it up every day (Pat, the M2 class pres); he tried to get others to help, but it pretty much just fell on him to do it.

This might be a dumb question, but are we included in the Biomedical PhD and Research MS programs section at the orientation tomorrow at 8:30?

This might be a dumb question, but are we included in the Biomedical PhD and Research MS programs section at the orientation tomorrow at 8:30?

I think at 8:30 we're just signing in/picking up name tags, but we probably fall under 'research MS programs' since we have a thesis paper. Regardless, it is on our orientation schedule so it includes us.

Is it good to dress professionally at orientation or is it a casual event?

thanks! I'm probably wearing a button up short sleeve and jeans? It's too hot here to dress up :oops:(

thanks! I'm probably wearing a button up short sleeve and jeans? It's too hot here to dress up :oops:(

On the advice of someone else, from the last page of this thread, I was going to wear khakis and a short sleeve button up. I think something like this is what most others will be wearing...