Evms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was an OOS med master student, I cant remember off the top of my head exactly how many of us there were, I want to say 4 or so, but that number could be off. EVMS does favor in state students for their program since they are partially funded by the state, but I don't know exactly how that translates to the Med Master matriculation, I feel that it is not as big of a deal.

Congrats to those who have gotten the coveted FedEx package.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a different answer every time I asked where I was on the WL. It went: high, decent, 'we don't rank our waiting list', and very high, in that order.

Thanks for the update. I was told top third, but looks like i might be on the lower end of that third...

I just got into med school at ECU off the waitlist thursday. Just wanted to let people know that I'm giving up my EVMS spot, so someone should be getting a special FedEx soon. Best of luck to those on the waitlist and all med masters next year!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got into med school at ECU off the waitlist thursday. Just wanted to let people know that I'm giving up my EVMS spot, so someone should be getting a special FedEx soon. Best of luck to those on the waitlist and all med masters next year!!

Grats on your acceptance!!!! And I :love:you. I hope one of us gets your spot :luck:

I hope so too. Good luck DrVanNostran, keep up the faith.

congrats. the coolest doctor i've met came out of Brody. I expect you to become a fat ER doc with a penchant for good beer.

Hey Everyone,

It looks like I'll be in Norfolk from 7/22 to at the very least 7/26 visiting EVMS and trying to find a place to live. Let me know if anyone is going to be around then...

hey everyone,

for those who know about EVMS application process...are they on rolling admission?

AND

for those who got accepted what if your gpa is slightly lower than 2.275 and everything else in the application looks good you think he/she can still get into EVMS?

hope to here back from you guys:)

~m~

thanks for the fast response Perrotfish...

No.. I want apply next year or next term i suppose. Is the next term then fall 08.

How many people are waitlisted ..and from there about 1/3 eventually get off and into the program right.

Also, i am not from Virginia and heard they prefer Virginia residents as priority ..is that true?

thanks ...and from any others too

~m~

they are on rolling admissions, and people have gotten accepted prior to the deadline. i'm not sure about VA residents having priority in the SMP. from prior posts, sounds like the waitlist is long, but in previous years, many people have gotten in off of it (according to Dr. Meyer). i would contact someone from the school to ask about the gpa minimum, though if you are applying for next year's program, and you're close to the minimum, perhaps you will be able to raise it to that mark.

Next chance is fall 2008. There are still applications for Fall 2007 SMPs if you're interested, though, including Rosalind Franklin, Drexel MSP and IMS, and LLU.

No idea how many are on the wait list, or how many usually get in.

I could never get a straight answer from them on the Virginia residence thing for the SMP. The Medical school definitely prefers Virginia residents, though.

Hi Perrotfish..EVMS prgram is a SMP program? I thought i was a post bac program. Since I have a low gpa shouldnt I look to only apply to post bacs only? please reply back...thanks for the list of SMPS ill keep them in mind

~m~

they are on rolling admissions, and people have gotten accepted prior to the deadline. i'm not sure about VA residents having priority in the SMP. from prior posts, sounds like the waitlist is long, but in previous years, many people have gotten in off of it (according to Dr. Meyer). i would contact someone from the school to ask about the gpa minimum, though if you are applying for next year's program, and you're close to the minimum, perhaps you will be able to raise it to that mark.

hi thanks for replying! i probably should raise my gpa then and take afew upperdivision courses as a non degree student till I have that gpa cutofff for EVMS. Ill look more and see if they really just prefer virginia residents for their program ..

~m~

no problem. good luck with everything. I'm not from VA either, and I know of a couple people that will be in my class that are out-of-state as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Perrotfish..EVMS prgram is a SMP program? I thought i was a post bac program. Since I have a low gpa shouldnt I look to only apply to post bacs only? please reply back...thanks for the list of SMPS ill keep them in mind

~m~

Yes, you'd want a post-bacc program to raise your undergrad GPA. You'll have a hard (read: nearly impossible) time convincing a medical school to accept you with a GPA like that. The EXCEPTION, however, is if you really want to go to EVMS. You'll have a hard time getting accepted to the SMP with that GPA, but it would be worth applying anyway IF you think you can absolutely rock the courseload. If you actually score on the long odds and get into the SMP and can ace the classes and make the faculty love you, you could get into EVMS, but you wouldn't have a shot at any other med schools. I'd apply to post-bacc's and EVMS's SMP IF you think you can do that well in the classes. Again, the odds are extraordinary but it is another option.

Has anyone heard from the financial aid office yet? If not, anyone know when we should expect to? Wheres everyone living next year?

I think it was more the exception than the rule, but our fin aid last year was very very slow (I did not get my first dispersment until september) but if you call up to the fin aid office, they will email or fax you a sheet that tells you how much you can expect to get from loans etc. You can then use this sheet as "proof of income" to an apartment complex so you can sign a lease. The fin aid people are extremely nice and helpful, so I would suggest just calling them up and asking.

Has anyone heard from the financial aid office yet? If not, anyone know when we should expect to? Wheres everyone living next year?

I was wondering about financial aid as well. As for living next year, I just got a place at Pembroke Towers right by the school. It sounds like they have a few more apts available if people are still looking.

Pembroke towers sounds pretty legit. How much are you paying? Do you know how much one bedrooms go for and if they have anything available?

I called the financial aid office last week. They're working on the packages right now, but I was missing something so I needed to do something before mine would be processed. I wouldn't have known that if I didn't call...and no one told me the last time I called either. I'd suggest calling the office to check just in case, but I think we should be receiving something soon.

How do people get to class? Mainly, is it normal for people who attend EVMS to drive to class and park on campus?

did they aprove the new jetpack addition to the student budget, because I would really like to upgrade.

did they aprove the new jetpack addition to the student budget, because I would really like to upgrade.

Jetpacks are currently included in the school budget, and Michelle Byers says that they are considering a subsidy for those of us bringing hoverboards.

Seriously though, most of us just ride tandem bicycles.

Hello, I am on the wait list and what seems like a long time ago now Nicole said that I was in the top 1/3. I am just curious if anyone has called and heard anything new or if they are expecting anymore wait list movement. It being June 20th I am feeling like too much time has gone by. Thanks for any news or advice.

Hello, I am on the wait list and what seems like a long time ago now Nicole said that I was in the top 1/3. I am just curious if anyone has called and heard anything new or if they are expecting anymore wait list movement. It being June 20th I am feeling like too much time has gone by. Thanks for any news or advice.

I feel the same way...i'm due to either renew my lease or move out in the next 10 days, so I called earlier to try and speak to someone and left my name and #, so I'm hoping I get a call back soon to give me more of a concrete answer about my status. Btw, does anyone know if they allow you to defer admission in the program to the following year in case you can't attend and don't have success in the regular admission cycle?

Has anyone else had problems contacting the program lately? They told me that apparently Nicole is no longer with them, and now I can't get in contact with anyone. The only confirmation that I can get that they've even processed my acceptance is that they cashed my check.

I called like a little over a week ago. When I called they said that Nicole was no longer working there and that they were forwarding all of her calls to a women named Rose, who I believe is in the Health Professions Dept. I called her and she said that Dr. Meyer had just come down to activate the wait list again the other day, or something like that, but that was like a week and a half ago.

I called yesterday and was told that Rose was out of the office and would probably be gone for the rest of the week. I was told to call back on Monday.

I haven't had much luck getting a response from anyone. I called and left a message for Rose about three weeks ago - still no response. I sent Dr. Meyer an e-mail two weeks ago and haven't heard back from him either. I just hope that the list is still moving.

Hey, Congrats to everyone who got into med school! I am going to EVMS in the fall, and I need a roomate, male or female. (I am a female) Let me know if anyone is looking. Thanks!:)

Hi everyone, I'm attending the Medical Masters program this fall and was wondering if anyone knew which classes have labs. Or are all of the classes lecture only?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm attending the Medical Masters program this fall and was wondering if anyone knew which classes have labs. Or are all of the classes lecture only?

Thanks a lot!

Do you mean in practicality, or for some sort of official statement for AMCAS? Because, honestly, its kind of ambiguous. For instance, Histology has the most structured lab portion, but its not like we have two categorical classes called Histo and Histo Lab. You'll go into the lab about 5 times for Neuro, but the class is just called Neuro and its not like a structured lab with its own syllabus. You'll have lab and practical exercises for histo, neuro, and physio (maybe more? packlax can correct me if im forgetting something), and there are practical sections on exams that will be done in the lab, but there's no class code for "neuro lab" so if you're looking for the Official Talking Point for AMCAS or something, you should go to Dr. Meyers

I absolutely concur Dr. Phish, your labratory summary is both detailed and correct. As a caveat, GO TO LAB. Even as Phish said, they aren't necessarily patrolled, I found them tremendously helpful for learning the material.

Is all the grading based on formal exams? Any Lab reports or HW?

exams except clinical vignettes in biochemistry (prepare a short presentation on a disease/condition. You'll be graded on this.) and neuro (be current on reading so you dont look like an idiot. You won't be graded on it, but who wants to look like an idiot?)

These are minor components, however. in all practicality, the short answer to your question, if you're trying to relate it to your UGrad, is "Exams."

Hey for those who were accepted have you sent in all the medical info EVMS requires yet? I'm not sure if I'll be able to get everything in by July 1st and was wondering if anybody requested an extension on the deadline.

Hey for those who were accepted have you sent in all the medical info EVMS requires yet? I'm not sure if I'll be able to get everything in by July 1st and was wondering if anybody requested an extension on the deadline.

Thanks for bringing this up. I totally forgot about the health forms. If anyone finds anything out about getting an extension please post it up here, thanks! I'll be heading out to Norfolk to find a place from the 26th to the 30th, anybody have any suggestions? Also, anyone know any nice places i should see during the short visit? My mom wants to see the sights, and i don't know what the sights are hehe.

I asked Dr. Meyer about the course classifications, and he forwarded my email to Sue Castora, the EVMS med school admissions director. She looked up past medical masters students' application files and said that they labeled the courses as biology lecture courses on their AMCAS, but that it didn't matter. *shrugs*

As for health forms, I got an email saying I was missing some items awhile back so I faxed them over. I'm not sure if there is an extension on the deadline.

Sights - Yorktown, Jamestown, Yorktown, Virginia Beach, some museums? I was a tourist in VA when I went as well haha.

Thanks for bringing this up. I totally forgot about the health forms. If anyone finds anything out about getting an extension please post it up here, thanks! I'll be heading out to Norfolk to find a place from the 26th to the 30th, anybody have any suggestions? Also, anyone know any nice places i should see during the short visit? My mom wants to see the sights, and i don't know what the sights are hehe.
Yorktown beach and battlefields, Jamestown, Virginia Air and Space museum, Virginia Beach, Williamsburg and the College, the Mariner's Museum

I wouldnt stress out too much about the medical info stuff, I had to get a booster for one of my vacc's and didn't get it until about 3 days after class started. They say its more of a "deadline" and not an aspect that will get you droped. I would just call them and say that you are going to have yours in a little late, but it will be there soon.

as an aside, just to share my thoughts, I THINK that the rose you are talking about in the health profess. office is also extremely involved with the Physician Assistant program. Their application period just ended June 15, and since it is not rolling admissions for that program they are now going through ALL of the apps for the PA program. So in addition to taking on the Med Master thing very recently, rose may be pretty busy right now so be a little patient with her.

Thanks for the suggestions! Hopefully I can find a place early and relax the rest of my time there :laugh: . Oh, and thanks for all the advice from the previous med masters, it helps a lot.

for those who have been accepted, what is the start date for your classes?

Classes start Aug 13 (despite what the MD Accpetance letter says, I didn't know if you knew this Phish, but I emailed Vera and she set it straight)

Anyway anther question to the previous EVMS SMPers. Is there anything that you wish you had studied in advance? I have about three weeks of nothing before the program starts.

I wish I had read sources for my thesis, but since I didn't know about it at the time, that would be impossible.

There's nothing to really read about. The stuff you need to know will come from huge syllabi and lecture notes; reading is supplemental and reading **** out of a book without context to the lecture won't give you much bang for your buck in the long run. You probably won't even remember it.

You will all be much better served to simply relax and get all your **** in order so you can hit the ground running. Get the crazy partying out of your system and build up a hunger for learning and working hard. Treat now as the calm before the storm.

Classes start Aug 13 (despite what the MD Accpetance letter says, I didn't know if you knew this Phish, but I emailed Vera and she set it straight)

I thought orientation started on the 13th and classes on the 20th?

Orientation is on the 13th. Med masters students will register for classes on that day. Classes start a few days later I think.

The post asked what day classes start, I though it best to state the first day that you are required to be at EVMS. Yes it is orientation the first couple of days but you are certainly already taking classes by friday. Med masters have the same orientation as the Med students save a meeting here and there.