1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

evolution terms

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by johnnyMD, Mar 30, 2004.

1. johnnyMD

johnnyMD Membership Revoked
    Removed

are these terms correct? what other terms do i need to know for mkcat

-------
    Mutation - random changes for new alleles.
    Fitness - denotes survival of species and only requires reproduction.
    Genetic drift - random evolutionary changes in allele frequency, not by evolutionary forces. small population.
    NS - "intentionally" selects "good" alleles over bad ones, changes allele frequency.
    Hardy Weinberg- fixed allele frequency in an ideal population.

Reproductive isolation - capable of successful offspring, but doesnt. No mixing genes btw. species.
    Adaptive radiation - via mutation, subpopulation of species is able to reduce competition by occupying new niche. ultimately forms new species.

2. princessd3

princessd3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Fitness is not really the survival of the organism. It's a measure of reproductive succes, or how well an organism's are passed on to the next generation. An organism can be perfectly healthy but yet fitness is low. A mule has zero fitness because it is sterile, no ablitly to pass on its genes.

3. johnnyMD

Removed

is fitness characterized by one (1) individual's passing of alleles to future generations, or does fitness apply to only a mass population?

4. Kazema

Kazema In a kingdom by the sea
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think fitness refers to all individuals that carry the allele. All mules are sterile, so their fitness is zero. For a hypothetical allele that causes sterility in homozygous recessives, the fitness of homozygous recessives is zero, while the fitness of heterzygotes is unaffected.

Probably.

EDIT: Actually I guess the fitness refers to the allele itself, so the frequency of the allele would actually decrease over time and therefore the allele has low fitness? I think I probably confused people even more by posting :p.

5. princessd3

princessd3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think when you mention fitness you're referring to an organism and not the entire species.

6. johnnyMD

Removed

Fitness of a geno/pheno is its reproductive contribution to future generations relative to other geno/pheno. "fitness measures the relative success among genotypes that leads to changes in allele frequency, that is, evolution."

7. princessd3

princessd3 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Right so seems to me that's refering to it on an individual level. Like you just said it's a comparison of reproductive sucess among individuals.