Ex-resident get in state tuition if accepted? (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ch91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm originally from Michigan but have been living in California for the past 5 years. My family is all still in Michigan so I will obviously be applying to MSU-COM. I would like to go there but out of state tuition is insane. Would I have to apply as a MI resident to get in-state tuition...or can I change my residency to MI after say the first year of attending? My license is in CA and main address but I could use my parent's address as a permanent address. Curious as to how that would work, because carrying the amount of extra debt just to be home isn't worth it to me...but I would like to obviously be near my family if there is a way I can get in-state tuition at some point. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

No sorry. I know for fact you can't establish residency to get lower tuition once you start here (I'm a current student). You could try and use your parent's address...don't know if that would work but you could look into it. If your legal residence is in CA you might be SOL though.

No sorry. I know for fact you can't establish residency to get lower tuition once you start here (I'm a current student). You could try and use your parent's address...don't know if that would work but you could look into it. If your legal residence is in CA you might be SOL though.
Do you remember how they asked for your state residence? My driver's license is CA but I was thinking if they just go by the AACOMAS permanent address I'd obviously put my parent's. I find it incredible they charge out of state residents 88k a year (compared to 43k in-state)...such a bummer

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you remember how they asked for your state residence? My driver's license is CA but I was thinking if they just go by the AACOMAS permanent address I'd obviously put my parent's. I find it incredible they charge out of state residents 88k a year (compared to 43k in-state)...such a bummer
I'm in state so I'm not sure...they didn't ask for my license. I just know they mentioned at the interview that you can't establish residency here, I believe it is state of MI law.

They run a background check so your license may come up.

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

How old are you and are you still dependent on them. You could potentially apply as a Michigan resident if you're dependent on them

As someone who has recently went though residency issues at my state school, maybe I can help a little. Residency is usually based on many factors. Such as, why did you leave the state of Michigan? How long have you been gone? Was it solely for school? Did you obtain residency in California, hold a full-time job, live at a permanent address in California? All of these factors come into play. You can't just place an address on your application and expect to be placed as a resident in that particular state. They look at everything.