Finding research outside of your school's state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parasiteeater13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a OMS-1 student at a DO school that is outside of my home state. Initially, I was planning on doing a summer research program in my home state for the summer but could not due to scheduling conflict between my school's calendar and the research program's schedule. Currently, I'm stuck between the choice of going back or staying here for the sake of research. Currently, I'm mostly doing research due to the fact that I'm interested in gas and with Step 1 turning P/F, I feel like I need this in order to better my application in the future.

I was wondering if anyone had any luck on finding research in a similar predictable like mine? If so, mind giving me some pointers?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need research for GAS. And for the programs that do require it, it's better to get research during your clinical years to have a more clinical type of research than the ones you are likely to get in first and second year.

You don't need research for GAS. And for the programs that do require it, it's better to get research during your clinical years to have a more clinical type of research than the ones you are likely to get in first and second year.
But hasn't gas become more competitive in the recent years?

Members don't see this ad :)
But hasn't gas become more competitive in the recent years?

If you look at the charting outcomes data, difference between matched and unmatched DO Anesthesia applicants is 9 points and 8 points for step 1 and 2 respectively. But the difference in number of research projects, abstracts, and publications was minimal.

From personal experience I can also tell you that auditions are key, especially for anesthesia.

If you look at the charting outcomes data, difference between matched and unmatched DO Anesthesia applicants is 9 points and 8 points for step 1 and 2 respectively. But the difference in number of research projects, abstracts, and publications was minimal.

From personal experience I can also tell you that auditions are key, especially for anesthesia.
But with Step 1 turning P/F, won't research become more important?