1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Exam Crackers - NEW 7th Edition

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Auron, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Does anyone know when they plan to release the 7th edition, I've heard students in their prep program already have them.

and yeah I know the material is basically the same as the 6th (or so I hear) but the 7th edition has many corrections.

any input appreciated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Scooby-Doo

Scooby-Doo Guest

Pre-Medical
    i already bought the 6th edition. Is the material of the 7th edition different?

3. OP
    OP
    Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've heard the material is basically the same, but the 7th edition has corrected the many errors found in the 6th edition. And I'm sure some of the material is prolly updated (?)

Plus the new edition is tailored to the CBT MCAT. Exam crackers probably have their own strategy to deal with the new format etc. Plus I hear they included some practice CBT tests.

so overall I'd recommend you guys to wait for the new edition to come out....should be soon, hopefully within a month or so...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TPBC

TPBC Member
    15+ Year Member

Is kaplan comparable to EK or is EK better??

5. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    from what i've heard kaplan is more detailed and EK is more interesting.

6. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

7th edition is no different than the 6th edition. 7th edition has not been released and there is no official word on when they will be released. I put a call in for an update but last year they were saying it be out by January 2007. As you can tell that didn't happen.

There isn't much change in the test except it is now on a computer so if you were one to skip around your strategy might be a bit different. As with most standard tests you have to do your best on a question and move on so this new edition won't really offer much. You can get practice material though in teh CBT format. Hopefully EK will offer more of this and have updated versions to some of their previous books soon.

:luck:

Kaplan has a little more detail but its really no different from EK. They both help you get the concepts down.

7. booji

booji Member
    7+ Year Member

Generally speaking EK gives you what you need to know, where as Kaplan gives you info that you should know and could possibly tested on (but generally this extra info is given in a passage)

8. Beau Geste

Beau Geste yah mo b there
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sooooooooo...... how many more threads on EK 7 are there going to be? Any takers?

9. nimish

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    kekekeke...:D

10. booji

booji Member
    7+ Year Member

I am going to call EK first thing tomorrow morning. If not, I am going to try and find someone takign the EK course to borrow their books, because at this point I am too worried about learnign the wrong thing from the 5th ed books.

11. dr.kicia

dr.kicia Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i emailed them and got a responce from jonathan himself.
    He said that 6th edition is as good as 7th edition. The content does not change so you are fine with older editions.
    The only reason why you may want to get the newer one is that they probobly fixed some errors etc.
    Other then that they have the errata list on their website. If you are ok with going there to make sure you study the right thing it will save you some 200 bucks.
    Just my 2 cents

12. PCATtaker

PCATtaker Class of 2011
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Kaplan is WAY more material. More indepth. More detailed than one would need or want.

13. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy

I got a response from EK they said that whenever they have them in stock you can purchase them (whenever THAT will be).

5th ed has alot of errors, 6th ed has a few errors but very very few. SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. 7th ed will probably have a few errors too. That's what happens in the publishing process. Just get the list of errata from the board and don't pay the money for the 7th ed. I'll tell you that it won't be worth it.

14. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I''ve got $5 on five more threads by July.

Who's wit me???? ;)

15. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy

I'll just consolidate them all into this thread so it only looks like one thread :smuggrin:

16. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Mushy,

You're blocking my hustle!!!

17. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy

;)

18. booji

booji Member
    7+ Year Member

I have been trying to find the errata list for quite some time now. Do you by any chance have the consolidated errata list? The ones on their website are just from the 6th edition. Maybe you can direct me to the right place.

19. dr.kicia

dr.kicia Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    look here
    http://www.examkrackersforum.com/index.php?c=3