ExamKracker VERBAL 101 SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if there was anyone else using these? I took the first one last night at a busy starbucks (to begin to aclimate myself to the "be prepared for anything" test climate) and I got rocked. I scored a 5!! :scared:. Its okay though because I knew verbal was going to be the hardest. I was curious if anyone else using these tests could post their scores and or advice (I know there was a thread a while back, but that was for the April exam and I'm in need of encouragment and advice from the august takers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i hit a 10 from 7s by not rushing myself and just doing the questions and not looking at the watch. . I think i was freaking out by the 9 min a passage rule
Oh but i did only have 6 minutes for the last passage, but i only missed one on it. I dont do the paraphrase thing, i just make a map in my head, just where things are and what not. I circle opinionated words and key words, but thats all the writing i like to do.

I'm gonna try the just answer questions without circling anything or whatnot today.
The hardest thing about EK101 is figuring out what the damn question is asking.

ek1-7
ek2-6
ek3-8 - i missed 5 questions about minor details on the second to last passage about the romans. Some rowdy kids came into the library and it threw off my concentration.

I take the next one tomorrow so hopefully i can see some improvement

EK 1: 9

A nice starting place I think; my strategy pretty much is to just read the first time for the main idea and then go back to the passage as needed to answer all the questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK 1 = 7.

I'm going to start doing 3-4 test a week, and hopefully get this score to improve. I got a freaking 4 on my TPR diag #2 which is freaking me out a little bit, but I have 5 more diags to go.

I'm reading the EK verbal strategies book which has some real good tips, but like other users have said abovek, reading it and just going straight to the questions and answering them wihtout all this stupid techniques sounds like something worth trying. Hopefully I can get this into a double digit score, you think its possible with a month left??

errozion said:
EK 1 = 7.

I'm going to start doing 3-4 test a week, and hopefully get this score to improve. I got a freaking 4 on my TPR diag #2 which is freaking me out a little bit, but I have 5 more diags to go.

I'm reading the EK verbal strategies book which has some real good tips, but like other users have said abovek, reading it and just going straight to the questions and answering them wihtout all this stupid techniques sounds like something worth trying. Hopefully I can get this into a double digit score, you think its possible with a month left??

Honestly, I think it'll be pretty tough. It's certainly an uphill climb but it's possible. Try the "no-bullsh*t" strategy, as I like to call it. Just read the passage straight through, circle or star a few words only, and just answer the questions based on what you just read. Also, don't look at your watch too much. I actually invert my wristwatch so I can't see it while actually doing the passages and obly glance at it every 3 or 4 passages. Looking at my watch after every passage just made me paranoid about time and I'd rush/lose focus. If you have trouble finishing all 9 passages, learning to read faster will take some time. That's probably the toughest area to improve on in a month's time. Just keep on practicing is all I can say.

strange thing is that when i look at my watch, i am always able to finish on time but when i don't look at my watch i end up missing 2 passages. sad thing is that accuracy dies when i look at the watch cuz i get so nervous!

SensesFail said:
Honestly, I think it'll be pretty tough. It's certainly an uphill climb but it's possible. Try the "no-bullsh*t" strategy, as I like to call it. Just read the passage straight through, circle or star a few words only, and just answer the questions based on what you just read. Also, don't look at your watch too much. I actually invert my wristwatch so I can't see it while actually doing the passages and obly glance at it every 3 or 4 passages. Looking at my watch after every passage just made me paranoid about time and I'd rush/lose focus. If you have trouble finishing all 9 passages, learning to read faster will take some time. That's probably the toughest area to improve on in a month's time. Just keep on practicing is all I can say.

You know what you said above about trying all these techniques to realize they were stupid.........

That's what turkeyman said too. He got an 11 on Verbal by doing what EK people said to do as well.

i just used the Ek method, but i looked back for detail questions b/c i just cant retain all the info. I hit a 10 but with like 7 min left over this time. So its quicker but hasnt improved my score, a 10 is damn good though for me =)

I can't seem to get through the passages about econ and government... any suggestions? I tend to miss the most on these passages... I know my score will jump if I can learn how to grasp the main idea from these passages better.

smiley98 said:
I can't seem to get through the passages about econ and government... any suggestions? I tend to miss the most on these passages... I know my score will jump if I can learn how to grasp the main idea from these passages better.

Yeah, me too. Especially the economic ones about investments, financing, accounting, etc... I'm not familiar with the terminology at all and these passages tend to be pretty detailed so I end up missing a lot.

Iceageheatwave said:
ek1-7
ek2-6
ek3-8 - i missed 5 questions about minor details on the second to last passage about the romans. Some rowdy kids came into the library and it threw off my concentration.

I take the next one tomorrow so hopefully i can see some improvement

ek4- 10. yay, im all excited like a little kid. I got so nervous at the end and started freaking out about the time.

EK 1 - 8
EK 2 - 9
EK 3 -10

hmm.. I hope this trend continues. I'd be happy with a 16 or 17 on the real thing :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
SensesFail said:
EK6: 8... So depressed. :(

1: 5
2: 7
3: 9
4:10
5:11

This is too wierd. I've always been sh***y at verbal and all of a sudden my scores increased. Im starting to think that this was how the book was designed. ?The passages and questions in this book are entirely too straight forward. Most of the passages are actually interesting, which is absolutely unlike the real mcat (boring, arduous passages). Don't mean to discourage anyone, but use this book only for acclimation to verbal. Maybe i'm wrong, but I don't think that my verbal reasoning skills have certainly incresed in such a short period of time. Maybe I shouldn't look at the glass as half empty.

Update from earlier:

EK1: 10
EK2: 12
EK3: 13
EK4: 11
EK5: 11

I'm still making some stupid mistakes here and there, and as my confidence increases I'm answering some questions without going back, missing the occasional question by plain laziness.

I still stand by my previous statement though, some of these questions and answers are straight up bogus. At the very least, just ONE proofreading by a qualified, uninvolved party could have cleared up many grammatical errors.

docmd2010 said:

This is too wierd. I've always been sh***y at verbal and all of a sudden my scores increased. Im starting to think that this was how the book was designed. ?The passages and questions in this book are entirely too straight forward. Most of the passages are actually interesting, which is absolutely unlike the real mcat (boring, arduous passages). Don't mean to discourage anyone, but use this book only for acclimation to verbal. Maybe i'm wrong, but I don't think that my verbal reasoning skills have certainly incresed in such a short period of time. Maybe I shouldn't look at the glass as half empty.

I think you are giving yourself too little credit. EK scores do correlate with the real scores that people get on the MCAT. Try taking some full lengths and see if it makes a difference. maybe an AAMC test or two.

docmd2010 said:

I think you are giving yourself too little credit. EK scores do correlate with the real scores that people get on the MCAT. Try taking some full lengths and see if it makes a difference. maybe an AAMC test or two.

aahhh! how the hell is everybody improving that much in just 5 full length eks??? am i like freaken ******ed? my scores are like a rollercoaster...at least a very crappy one.

docmd2010 said:

I hear that. I've always considered myself a complete verbal loser. I recall completely bombing the reading subtest on the ACT, which is supposedly a simple exam. I first started with kaplan practice exams and now I am working on the EK book. My last two exams, 3&4, I scored doubled digits. I just can't believe its a legit score. I think its primarily because I find the material interesting. It seems that AAMC exams are almost 50% humanities passages which bite the big one. I find that wrapping my mind around metaphysical philopsycobabble or remembering anything about the writing style of some obscure poet to be nearly impossible. However, anything science, history, politics or sociology related I seem to have no problem with. I'm just praying that I pull through on the real deal.

FutureDoc2010 said:
I hear that. I've always considered myself a complete verbal loser. I recall completely bombing the reading subtest on the ACT, which is supposedly a simple exam. I first started with kaplan practice exams and now I am working on the EK book. My last two exams, 3&4, I scored doubled digits. I just can't believe its a legit score. I think its primarily because I find the material interesting. It seems that AAMC exams are almost 50% humanities passages which bite the big one. I find that wrapping my mind around metaphysical philopsycobabble or remembering anything about the writing style of some obscure poet to be nearly impossible. However, anything science, history, politics or sociology related I seem to have no problem with. I'm just praying that I pull through on the real deal.

Hmm, maybe that why EK's method works. They teach you the strategy on the interesting passages so you could apply it to the boring ones come test day.

EK 1: 8

I was on target for a 9 until I hit the passage about the psychologist. That one screwed me BIG time. I got six wrong on that one. If I got those six right I would of had a 10!! To the people who are up to EK 3 plus.....are you seeing improvement?

I'm up to EK 101 Test #5 and no improvement yet, just consistency. I have no idea have you folks are shooting up 6 points (!) after a month. That's AMAZING. I'm hoping for one or two points by the end, test #11.

EK Verbal 1: 7
EK Verbal 2: 9
EK Verbal 3:10
EK Verbal 4:10
EK Verbal 5:9
EK Verbal 6:8
EK Verbal 7:9

11, 9, 12, 10, 12, 10, 11
:confused:

at least my timing has improved as i have a couple minutes left over nowadays

topdogg82 said:
11, 9, 12, 10, 12, 10, 11
:confused:

at least my timing has improved as i have a couple minutes left over
nowadays

Those are good scores. If you can maintain in the 10-12 range and get good science scores, you'll be ok.

I know a lot of the 34+ students, from this past April, got in the 8-11 range on their Verbal and 12-14 range on their sciences. So I'd say that if you can maintain that on the real test day you'd be ok, so long as your sciences are strong.

See how you are doing on your practice full lenths.

EK1:Took this in pieces, untimed a while ago
EK2:9
EK3:8
EK4:10
EK5:9
EK6:9

Eh, I wish I could get myself into double-digit land more.

How did you guys score on the EK 30 minute challenges (the ones in the MCAT verbal reasoning book - not EK 101 book). Do you know what I'm talking about? the ones with 3 passages only and 7 questions per passage. I've done all 3 and scored 8, 9, 8. :(
Did anyone else find these exceptionally tough - more so than full length section tests b/c of the short time allotment?

I went through EK verbal exams 1-7 and I am now switching to kaplan verbal exams(11 of them) then I plan to complete the last 4 EK verbal exams. I'm doing the exams 3 passages at a time as 27min exams and every now and then I do a full length. I'm doing this because I want to do some verbal EVERY DAY and same some of the EK material for the end.

Kaplan's questions and answer choices are a bit different than EK. There is one particular type of double qualifier kaplan question that does not appear on EK.

The solutions for EK are very detailed and actually include strategies so be sure to read all of the answers choices in the solutions. Kaplan just gives the answers in a matter-of-fact way.

Of course I will be doing AAMC 3R-8 verbal as well

jmnykrkts said:
How did you guys score on the EK 30 minute challenges (the ones in the MCAT verbal reasoning book - not EK 101 book). Do you know what I'm talking about? the ones with 3 passages only and 7 questions per passage. I've done all 3 and scored 8, 9, 8. :(
Did anyone else find these exceptionally tough - more so than full length section tests b/c of the short time allotment?

Yeah those passages blew. I remember scoring pretty low (7s & 8s?) on those 30min exams. Either I improved or the EK passages are easier, i'm now scoring double digits on 101 exams.

those proved to be rather difficult for me especially the last one. I think I scored 7-9 on those.

jmnykrkts said:

EK 1 4
EK 2 6
EK 3 9 :thumbup:

I am soooooo surprise.... although I am not sure if the passages are getting easier just to boost our confidence or what??? whatever it might be I am :D , but I still have to work on my time because I still run out of time. I guess in at least one whole passage (I just circle all B's) I guess I am just a slow reader

SensesFail said:
So far my scores out of the EK101 Verbal book are:

EK1: 8
EK2: 10
EK3: 9
EK4: 9
EK5: 11
EK6: 8

EK7: 10.

Satisfied, except that one less mistake and I would've got a 9 (45/60). I really hope I can pull off a 10 in Verbal in a month's time. It'd be especially sweet, considering I got a 6 last year. :thumbdown:

Ek1:5
Ek2:4
Ek3:6
Ek4:7
Ek5:7
Ek6:8
Ek7:8
Ek8:8
.......Slowly but surely, did I ever mention that I hate verbal reasoning..I mean, I LOVE verbal reasoning! :p

took ek6 yesterday and got a 9. boo urns. there were so many god damned inference questions, much more than what i ever see in aamc tests.

took ek 7 and got an 11. i'm pleased with it, but i can't help but think that the test was especially easy. the inference questions were easy. the detail questions were easily found. heck, there weren't even any art passages. anybody else find it easy?

Has anyone noticed that the higher numbered tests seem to be harder, or is it just me? I've gone from getting around 11.5 on average to 10.5 average over the course from EK1 to EK9 so far.

EK1: 8
EK2: 9
EK3: 10
EK4: 10
EK5: 10
EK6: 10
EK7: 10

... if I don't get a 10 on the real thing i'm going to be so peeved.

dsh said:
Has anyone noticed that the higher numbered tests seem to be harder, or is it just me? I've gone from getting around 11.5 on average to 10.5 average over the course from EK1 to EK9 so far.

Those are nice numbers. If you're averaging ~11 on these exams, you'll have no problem with this section on the real thing. The passage topics do seem to be getting more boring after each exam. I recall the first test talking about legalizing pot and downloading music.

Will Ferrell said:
Those are nice numbers. If you're averaging ~11 on these exams, you'll have no problem with this section on the real thing. The passage topics do seem to be getting more boring after each exam. I recall the first test talking about legalizing pot and downloading music.

Wait 'till you get to the test passage with the prostitute and her pimp.

I can't wait for that.

most annoying passage for me was the "white russian play" and her propriety. I think I got all of the questions correct or only one wrong but those passages rattle me kind of like the infamous confucious passage. One of the answer choices in that passage was "she is putting on a front". lol!

oddly enough I came across a kaplan passage that asks for the context of "propriety" in one of its passages.

RayhanS1282 said:
Wait 'till you get to the test passage with the prostitute and her pimp.

yeah that white russian one definitely gave me troubles. in fact, i had to quickly reread that passage cause the first read through left me wondering what the heck the author had been saying. he couldn't get his damn point across effectively, and just seemed to be going in circles or something. ended up doing well on that passage though. i'm thinking that from now on, i'll just reread any really complicated literature or art passages, cause i can go through the questions so much quicker that way, rather than struggling.

stoleyerscrubz said:
I can't wait for that.

most annoying passage for me was the "white russian play" and her propriety. I think I got all of the questions correct or only one wrong but those passages rattle me kind of like the infamous confucious passage. One of the answer choices in that passage was "she is putting on a front". lol!

oddly enough I came across a kaplan passage that asks for the context of "propriety" in one of its passages.

LOL, never saw someone so enthusiastic about a verbal passage. The White Russian Play passage killed me...I saved that one for last and so, glad I did.

As for the kaplan passage you mentioned, on the April 2005 MCAT, there was a passage about the different circumstances where you can apply the term "breaking and entering"...not a complicated read but tricky questions though.

stoleyerscrubz said:
most annoying passage for me was the "white russian play" and her propriety.

I hate the ones about cabinet-making and wood joinery. Like, who the hell even writes about that ****?! I feel as if I'm reading a freakin' instruction manual on how to build a desk. They're usually not that bad, mostly detail-ortiented questions, but still.

SensesFail said:
I hate the ones about cabinet-making and wood joinery. Like, who the hell even writes about that ****?! I feel as if I'm reading a freakin' instruction manual on how to build a desk. They're usually not that bad, mostly detail-ortiented questions, but still.

lol there're definitely some passages in there that make me think "why am i reading this again?"

EK Verbal 1: 7
EK Verbal 2: 9
EK Verbal 3:10
EK Verbal 4:10
EK Verbal 5:9
EK Verbal 6:8
EK Verbal 7:9
EK Verbal 8:9

I have about 13 kaplan full length verbals and I broke them down to 3 passage 27 minute tests and I've been doing them practically every day for 2 weeks now and saving EK exams as full lengths. Can't believe I am still scoring mid 40's.

I dont understand their explanation? the answer it says is there is no relationship thats why its based on kettlewell's supposition? but Kettlewell's supposition (assumption) was that there is a relationship?

The question asks for the answer which supports what the author means in implying "even after a millennium, it can still compel admiration and feeling in a less-than-devout-society."

To me this means, basically, that ancient religous music is very emotional, which means that its good and is still liked today. And there are examples of this music heard in churches and such.

The answer says: Though a majority of Americans profess a belief ina supreme being, a minority actually attend any type of religous services.

To me, this is the exact opposite and weakens what the author is saying? Because if the majority of americans profess belief, than they should attend religous service to hear this amazing music.

The argument used in the explanations is, is that it supports the authors implication of a less than devout society? (thats all) i find that stupid.

anyone else agree or am i looking at this totally incorrectly?