ExamKracker VERBAL 101 SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if there was anyone else using these? I took the first one last night at a busy starbucks (to begin to aclimate myself to the "be prepared for anything" test climate) and I got rocked. I scored a 5!! :scared:. Its okay though because I knew verbal was going to be the hardest. I was curious if anyone else using these tests could post their scores and or advice (I know there was a thread a while back, but that was for the April exam and I'm in need of encouragment and advice from the august takers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking over the thread and noticed a couple of people mention they hate the financial economic passages, i recommend you read "The economist." Its pretty interesting, it'll give you some background over those passages, and the readings from the article are similar to mcat passags. The magazine is regarded as a helpful tool for people taking the mcats, and if you know your strugglin with econ passages background info is definitely a plus (I think at least).

people say that background info can get you in trouble in verbal because you should only answer the questions from the passage, but personally if I dont know anyting about the passage (ie - art) I hate the passage and I do really bad.

One thing i've noticed about myself (and this is a downer so read on with caution) is that 1 or 2 passages are generally what screw me over. I've noticed this on other threads also, 1 passage or 2 passages where you get 4 wrong (generally out of 8 or 9). Those are the passages that take people down from an 11 to an 8 or 9; and obviously if you got half of those right you would have gotten a 10. I just took 6r and I got a 12 in verbal. I'M SUPER EXCITED, cause i've never scored that high, i generally don't leave the 9-10 range. Basically the purpose of this, is that I think mcat verbal is ALL LUCK, if you get that 1 or 2 passages that kill you, cause you hate the topic you cant understand it etc etc... than you get an 8 or 9 instead of a 10 or 11. But if you get lucky like I did on 6r (and hope to get lucky on the real mcat) you get an 10 11, and in my case I GOT SUPER lucky and got a 12 (by 1 question).

Take home message: MCAT verbal, luck can fluctuate your score plus or minus up to 3 or 4 points, dont take anything for granted. if you are scoring 11's, DOOM could strike =(.

Nooro said:
"even after a millennium, it can still compel admiration and feeling in a less-than-devout-society."

The answer says: Though a majority of Americans profess a belief ina supreme being, a minority actually attend any type of religous services.

The argument used in the explanations is, is that it supports the authors implication of a less than devout society? (thats all) i find that stupid.

anyone else agree or am i looking at this totally incorrectly?

For me, that was the only logical answer choice left. The giveaway for that answer was "less-than-devout-society"...it means that that they are not fully devout or fully dedicated in other words. So while they may say that they are religious they don't actually follow through fully by attending religious services....try to eliminate the answers that are wrong and see why this one is right.... Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all these EK Verbal Test coming out of the book entitled 101 Verbal Passages by EK?

Any chance there is a digital file of it out there?

Yes these are from the 101 passages in Verbal by EK. I have not seen a digital file of it yet.

MB in SD said:
Are all these EK Verbal Test coming out of the book entitled 101 Verbal Passages by EK?

EK 1: 8
EK 2: 9
EK 3: 10
EK 4: 9
EK 5: 10
EK 6: 10
EK 7: 10

Steady progress...yea. This was my worst mark last year, so I'm glad to improve finally. Hope the same thing happens for PS!

~CDN Pre-med~ said:

Steady progress...yea. This was my worst mark last year, so I'm glad to improve finally. Hope the same thing happens for PS!

Are you taking a test prep course?? What are you using to study for the MCAT??? Generally either the Kaplan subject and topical tests, combined, or the the Princeton Review Science workbook and in class compendium will be sufficient to help raise your score in the science areas. I recommend you doing some of them.

gujuDoc said:
Are you taking a test prep course?? What are you using to study for the MCAT??? Generally either the Kaplan subject and topical tests, combined, or the the Princeton Review Science workbook and in class compendium will be sufficient to help raise your score in the science areas. I recommend you doing some of them.

I decided not to take a prep class this year because I took TPR last year and found that I study better by myself. Instead I bought 13 tests (including AAMC) and all the EK material but to be honest I only found it useful for verbal. BS is fairly consistent and I usually finish this 1/2 hour early. It's only PS that I have difficulty with since I have to read the passages more carefully.

I obtained some of the Kaplan topical and subject tests so I'll try those and see how it goes. I got a 7 last year for PS and I'm hoping for a 10...I seem to be getting closer to the 10 borderline (range 8-9), but it totally epends on the material on the test I think...

Were the Kaplan topical and subject tests helpful?

I just bought the EK Verbal book, so I'll be joining y'all.

A few questions if you don't mind - Do you find it helpful? How have you been scoring on AAMC tests in comparison to EK? Do you find EK's questions to be structured differently? Do you like their method? How many practice tests are there?

1. Yes, the 101 book is good.
2. About the same, maybe little higher (+1 on aamc's vs. EK)
3. EK's questions seem longer and trickier, but are good practice.
4. Yes, their "method" is the most simple and natural, I think.
5. 11 total in the EK 101 book (11 tests x9 passages each plus 2 "warm-ups"= 101)

~CDN Pre-med~ said:
I decided not to take a prep class this year because I took TPR last year and found that I study better by myself. Instead I bought 13 tests (including AAMC) and all the EK material but to be honest I only found it useful for verbal. BS is fairly consistent and I usually finish this 1/2 hour early. It's only PS that I have difficulty with since I have to read the passages more carefully.

I obtained some of the Kaplan topical and subject tests so I'll try those and see how it goes. I got a 7 last year for PS and I'm hoping for a 10...I seem to be getting closer to the 10 borderline (range 8-9), but it totally epends on the material on the test I think...

Were the Kaplan topical and subject tests helpful?

Ok that gives me a better picture. I sorta did the same thing. I saw improvement in my science scores after doing the scienceworkbook and reviewing over it and after doing the in class compendium passages. I'd recommend you do both of those things or Kaplan subject tests/topicals. EIther of those resources will do wonders in terms of helping in the science sections. For me, the TPR ICC and science workbook were really really good in giving realistic expectations of the type of passages and questions that one could expect on the test. In fact, I'd go so far to say they were more realistic then the actual 4900 series of practice tests were. But that is just my personal experience.

Ok I got a question... anyone think Ek3 was extra easy? I got an 11 a question from a 12, and on EK2 I got a 9, one question from an 8.

I've noticed that most people seem to do better on EK3 than others... also something else that I feel is really important for the EK's is that i've noticed everyone seem sto do better on the later tests in comparison to the earlier tests (an improvement... or so you think.)

anyone ever think the later tests are just easier.... and thats why EVERYONE IS DOING BETTER ON THEM?.... When EVERYONE does sees improvement that doesn't you personally are doing better it just means the material is easier and a higher score is going to be seen with the same ability....

Nooro said:
Ok I got a question... anyone think Ek3 was extra easy? I got an 11 a question from a 12, and on EK2 I got a 9, one question from an 8.

I've noticed that most people seem to do better on EK3 than others... also something else that I feel is really important for the EK's is that i've noticed everyone seem sto do better on the later tests in comparison to the earlier tests (an improvement... or so you think.)

anyone ever think the later tests are just easier.... and thats why EVERYONE IS DOING BETTER ON THEM?.... When EVERYONE does sees improvement that doesn't you personally are doing better it just means the material is easier and a higher score is going to be seen with the same ability....

EK 3 was relatively easy, (had buffer time). After taking EK 4, it seems much more obvious.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK1:5
EK2:6
EK3:7
EK4:8...that was today...and going up :D

For the mini MCATS I added all the passages into tests of 9 passages and did surprisingly well, considering they are suppose to be harder 9 and 10.

For the AAMC 3R, taken a looooong time ago, 7.

English is not my native/first language, so I have a little excuse :oops:

All I'm aiming for is an 8, do you guys think this is possible on the real deal?

SensesFail said:
So far my scores out of the EK101 Verbal book are:

EK1: 8
EK2: 10
EK3: 9
EK4: 9
EK5: 11
EK6: 8
EK7: 10

Some more results to add to the list...

EK8: 9
EK9: 9

Hoping to hit double digits for the last two tests.

Just took my first EK test and got an 8, though I've been getting around 10 with my last two TPR tests and AAMC.

Do you guys feel the passages are similar to AAMCs? For me, they felt very different and I didn't feel the need to go back as much, though I got a lot more wrong! Ack, I don't know. I'm going to spend some time today figuring out where I went wrong.

I like how many practice tests there are - we only get four with TPR.

All I want to do is become a "verbal god".... :)

MB in SD said:

there's no (legal) digital file out there, as far as i know.

but i bet you could make a lot of money if you got your hands on one :p (mods, i'm just kidding!!)

New:
EK 8: 10

Anyone else doing worse on the AAMC than on EK? Just wondering...maybe i'm tired after PS, that's the only explanation i could come up with...

~CDN Pre-med~ said:
Anyone else doing worse on the AAMC than on EK? Just wondering...maybe i'm tired after PS, that's the only explanation i could come up with...

Its been said before and I totally agree that this is just as much if not more a test of endurance than knowledge. Keeping this in mind, I try to do the EK tests after I do a PS section from either Kaplan or TPR.

I thought I might as well post my scores too.

EK1- 8 (39/60)
Ek2- 8 (40/60)
EK3- 8 (40/60)
EK4- 9 (44/60)
EK5- 9 (44/60)

Still havent broken the 10 mark :( . But at least I haven't went down.

AAMC 3R- 10 (however, I finished about 5 min too late)

What exactly is the EK verbal strategy? Is it just to look for the main idea? How long do y'all spend reading a single passage? I've been using the TPR strategy and the annotating sort of helps me but it also slows me down quite a lot. I ordered the EK101 book off half.com a MONTH ago and it still hasn't arrived yet. Yikes.

stoleyerscrubz said:
EK Verbal 1: 7
EK Verbal 2: 9
EK Verbal 3:10
EK Verbal 4:10
EK Verbal 5:9
EK Verbal 6:8
EK Verbal 7:9
EK Verbal 8:9

I have about 13 kaplan full length verbals and I broke them down to 3 passage 27 minute tests and I've been doing them practically every day for 2 weeks now and saving EK exams as full lengths. Can't believe I am still scoring mid 40's.

EK Verbal 9:10
2 passages seemed a bit difficult with the usual 2-3 questions I had a hard time understanding.questions seemed more difficult than usual but maybe that is from my break from verbal practice(1 week).

Had to move this weekend so did not do anything MCAT related for 4 days. I'm going to try to do verbal daily (at least 3 passages).I'll let you guys know how i do on the verbal for AAMC 4,6,and 7 which I have not taken.

~CDN Pre-med~ said:

New:

I completely agree with you. My EK verbal's have been 8-10, but my AAMC verbal on 3r was a 6 and on 7r was a 7. Overall, EK is far too easy, as the questions on AAMC exams are much much much much more difficult and vague. Don't mean to be discouraging, but this is the trend that I am noticing. Do EK for practice and confidence, but AAMC for simulation and accuracy.

docmd2010 said:
I completely agree with you. My EK verbal's have been 8-10, but my AAMC verbal on 3r was a 6 and on 7r was a 7. Overall, EK is far too easy, as the questions on AAMC exams are much much much much more difficult and vague. Don't mean to be discouraging, but this is the trend that I am noticing. Do EK for practice and confidence, but AAMC for simulation and accuracy.

I have to agree and disagree with you at the same time. While I think the passages in EK 101 are much easier and much more interesting to read (at least for the first few tests), the questions are a lot trickier and harder overall. When I took AAMC 5R I definitely thought that the reading was harder but the questions were that much easier. Plus my score stayed exactly in the middle of my practice scores from EK.

I also don't think EK are easier. I was getting 8's no problem on Verbal in AAMC tests, and on 3R even got a 10. I was getting 6's and 7's on EK 101 tests.

I think the discrepancy was because the questions were harder and I kept having to use the restroom when I was taking those EK tests so I couldn't focus, which screwed me over.

I think EK tests are much better then any TPR verbal material, and that AAMC material and EK material might be slightly different but the outcome is most likely the same.

EK 1: 9
EK 2: 10
EK 3: 11
EK 4: 11

Just gimme an 11 on the real thing....

I'm feeling much better about this. I plan to do one everyday I'm not taking a practice test and hope for the best...

CoffeeCat said:

I'm feeling much better about this. I plan to do one everyday I'm not taking a practice test and hope for the best...

EK 3: 12

YAY :D My first 12 ever, in any section.

I'll stop posting since no one else is really contributing lately, but I'm happy for all of the EK practice and reading other peoples' thoughts on verbal earlier in the thread seemed to help.

Wow--that's quite the dramatic jump. Perfect timing, too, with the test in less than two weeks. Congrats!

docmd2010 said:

I'm one of the other people who agree that EK is a bit easier than AAMC. I'm not sure if it is because the passages are easier to read or what but all I know is that my scores on AAMC are always 2 points below my EK scores. Also not sure if it could be because I'm tired after PS but I always have trouble finishing the AAMC whereas the EK I always finish on time or a little behind.

Any thoughts on what do do about this dilemma?

NUKid said:
I'm one of the other people who agree that EK is a bit easier than AAMC. I'm not sure if it is because the passages are easier to read or what but all I know is that my scores on AAMC are always 2 points below my EK scores. Also not sure if it could be because I'm tired after PS but I always have trouble finishing the AAMC whereas the EK I always finish on time or a little behind.

Any thoughts on what do do about this dilemma?

I've been thinking about that because I've been practicing with AAMC and TPR before EK and I notice that I've been finishing with EK about 10 minutes left, sometimes more. I think the passages are easier to read and not as twisty, but the questions are sometimes more subtle.

As I'm practicing with EK, I think I'm going to try to continue to finish early (maybe even give myself less time) so I'll be quick enough with AAMC.

docmd2010 said:

Agreed. I found 5R's Verbal to be really vague. Felt like I was guessing on a lot of them.

On a sidenote, I'm finding the Kaplan Verbal section tests incredibly hard to read, but with less tricky questions. Pretty much exact opposite to EK.

I've done about 7 full length kaplans verbals and 9 full length EK verbal exams and I have to completely agree with you on this.

all scores seem to correlate with the 2 AAMC exams I've taken. I plan to take 3 more full lengths AAMC exams (vebal included) in the next 2 weeks so i'll be posting soon.

good luck everyone!

SensesFail said:
Agreed. I found 5R's Verbal to be really vague. Felt like I was guessing on a lot of them.

On a sidenote, I'm finding the Kaplan Verbal section tests incredibly hard to read, but with less tricky questions. Pretty much exact opposite to EK.

EK Verbal 1: 6
EK Verbal 2: 7
EK Verbal 3: 10
EK Verbal 4: 9
EK Verbal 5: 9
EK Verbal 6: 7
EK Verbal 7: 6

What is going on? I am slowly getting worse. I went through all my questions on EK7 very carefully and I also narrow down the wrong ones to 2 final choices. I always pick the wrong one.

Sometimes I will miss all the questions on a single passage. On EK 7 that happened to three whole passages!!! I miss intrepreted the main idea I think and it screwed me since EK is main point based.

I have taken other AAMC, Kaplan exams and received 9-10s. On Apr05 I received a 9. Am I getting worse at VR? I use the EK101 book but haven't read the Verbal/Math Book. I try and spend 4-5 minutes a passage, 40 sec a question(not going back unless necessary, so not much). I try and focus on main idea, I underline/circle sometimes a lot but try to only sparingly. I don't know EK method on question stems so sometimes the reasoning behind an answer is goofy to me.

Argh so Frustrating...

My scores have generally been going up like this...

EK 1 - 5
EK 2 - 5
EK 3 - 6
EK 4 - 7
EK 5 - 6
EK 6 - 7
EK 7 - 8
EK 8 - 9
EK 9 - 9

But there are those killer passages where I get like 4/8... That damn samurai passage killed me!!!! Anyone else running into the same problem?

GPACfan said:
EK Verbal 1: 6
EK Verbal 2: 7
EK Verbal 3: 10
EK Verbal 4: 9
EK Verbal 5: 9
EK Verbal 6: 7
EK Verbal 7: 6

What is going on? I am slowly getting worse. I went through all my questions on EK7 very carefully and I also narrow down the wrong ones to 2 final choices. I always pick the wrong one.

Sometimes I will miss all the questions on a single passage. On EK 7 that happened to three whole passages!!! I miss intrepreted the main idea I think and it screwed me since EK is main point based.

I have taken other AAMC, Kaplan exams and received 9-10s. On Apr05 I received a 9. Am I getting worse at VR? I use the EK101 book but haven't read the Verbal/Math Book. I try and spend 4-5 minutes a passage, 40 sec a question(not going back unless necessary, so not much). I try and focus on main idea, I underline/circle sometimes a lot but try to only sparingly. I don't know EK method on question stems so sometimes the reasoning behind an answer is goofy to me.

Don't Worry GPAC Fan.

I've been slowly and steadly increasing with my EK scores- 8, 8, 8, 9, 9, 9 (raw scores of 44 on the first two nines, one away from a ten!! :(

My EK 6 score went down to a 42/60.

Today I took EK 7, and for the second time I went down. I got a 39/60, an 8. I thought it was pretty hard. The first 3 passages I got zero wrong but I missed 5 on two different passages, including the one about the lethality of weapons. Honestly I thought some of those questions/answers were bull****. You can argue against a few of them. EK 7 seemed to to have two of the most tricky passages I've read to date.

Oh yea, and I got 10s on AAMC 3R and 8.

I was wondering what do you guys do when you encounter one of those passages where no matter how many times you read it, you don't understand it and have no clue what the author was even trying to say. I don't even know the author's main point when that happens, so there are lots of misses for that passage.

eli2k said:
I was wondering what do you guys do when you encounter one of those passages where no matter how many times you read it, you don't understand it and have no clue what the author was even trying to say. I don't even know the author's main point when that happens, so there are lots of misses for that passage.

Best way to go is to not spend too much time on those questions because chances are that if you didn't understand it then you probably won't get a lot of the questions right. You should still do the questions but as soon as you find yourself stuck on a question don't think too too hard: eliminate what you can, guess, and just move on. Chances are that if you struggled with it then so did the majority of the people taking the test...but not everyone had the guts to just move on and finish the easier passages.

EK 4: 10

Okay so I've gotten a 10 on AAMC 7, an 11 on AAMC 4R and then I practiced with EK getting the scores above.

I just took 3R Verbal and got a 7!!! WTF? Any idea what's going on?

so um, like i am practically literate. ive gotten 6s-9s on EK1-9 and then I miss an 11 on EK10 by 2 questions. are the last 2 tests easy to boost your self esteem or am i actually improving? cause immediately after my 10 on EK10 i got a 6 on AAMC 4R. makes you wonder.

CoffeeCat said:

Okay so I've gotten a 10 on AAMC 7, an 11 on AAMC 4R and then I practiced with EK getting the scores above.

CoffeeCat said:

you're not the only one who's scores are going haywire... i've been scoring ~11-12 pretty consistently, but the past couple of days i've been down in the 8-10 range :( nooooo gooooodddddd....

addiddasss!!!! i want my mojo back!!! :p

ek1: 8

just started doing ek passages today, hopefully ill be able to finish the last 10 before next saturday.

got a question for august retakers, i did all the aamc tests before taking the april exam and i am just wondering if its a good idea to redo them, especially the verbal sections. yesterday, i took aamc 3R and got a 9 on verbal, compared to a 5 the first time i took it. not sure if i have really improved or it's b/c this is my second time taking it. i mean, i didnt remember any of the questions or answers but some of the passages were vaguely familiar. so not sure, what to make of it.

i'd appreciate any feedback, thanks guys.

medisin said:
ek1: 8

just started doing ek passages today, hopefully ill be able to finish the last 10 before next saturday.

got a question for august retakers, i did all the aamc tests before taking the april exam and i am just wondering if its a good idea to redo them, especially the verbal sections. yesterday, i took aamc 3R and got a 9 on verbal, compared to a 5 the first time i took it. not sure if i have really improved or it's b/c this is my second time taking it. i mean, i didnt remember any of the questions or answers but some of the passages were vaguely familiar. so not sure, what to make of it.

i'd appreciate any feedback, thanks guys.

i've been redoing them, and have found that the passages were vaguely familiar also. i think it's a good idea but don't rely on aamc stuff exclusively -- mixing it up is key at this point.

AAMC 4R:10

I 'm happy with scroing 48 raw on AAMC 4R. that puts me on the high end of the score of 10. I think the EK and kaplan verbal exams are good indicators and the kaplan should be used just for the practice of reading more difficult academic level essays and the EK for question format.

i took the AAMC 4R after a 10 minute break from AAMC 5R bio section. I know PS is before verbal. i'll do them in the proper order for AAMC 6R and 7 which are my last 2 AAMC exams.

good luck everyone. keep practicing.

I took the first EK verbal exam and got a 10. I only agree with about 33% of the logic they provide for their supposedly correct answers. I can only hope that the MCAT is actually much more logic based than nonsense. My favorite is when on one answer they get so nitpicky on one question regarding the phrasing of the question or the answers choices, but then are totally oblivious to aspects in other answers that they don't even mention which, at least in my mind, make other answers "more correct".

EK Verbal 10:8
AAMC 6R:10
AAMC 7: 10
August 2005 MCAT: not yet taken

I'm not going to take EK #11. EK #10 score was not something nice to see. luckily i took AAMC 6R a day later and scored a 10. I do plan on reading a couple kaplan passages just to stay in tune with reading difficult passages

stoleyerscrubz said:
AAMC 4R:10

I 'm happy with scroing 48 raw on AAMC 4R. that puts me on the high end of the score of 10. I think the EK and kaplan verbal exams are good indicators and the kaplan should be used just for the practice of reading more difficult academic level essays and the EK for question format.

i took the AAMC 4R after a 10 minute break from AAMC 5R bio section. I know PS is before verbal. i'll do them in the proper order for AAMC 6R and 7 which are my last 2 AAMC exams.

good luck everyone. keep practicing.

New:
EK 9: 10
EK 10: 12

For AAMC 5R, 6R, 7R, 8R...managed to score straight 11s. I'd recommend EK and Kaplan verbal tests to anyone still struggling to improve scores. Kaplan helps with getting to understand difficult material and EK helps with the tricky questions....

~CDN Pre-med~ said:

New:
EK 9: 10
EK 10: 12

For AAMC 5R, 6R, 7R, 8R...managed to score straight 11s. I'd recommend EK and Kaplan verbal tests to anyone still struggling to improve scores. Kaplan helps with getting to understand difficult material and EK helps with the tricky questions....

EK 10: 10/11

a good amount of people score within a point of their EK scores....eliminate your highest and lowest score and avg the # you got wrong and use the scale....you will most likely get that score on the real deal...if not you will get within a point....