ExamKracker VERBAL 101 SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if there was anyone else using these? I took the first one last night at a busy starbucks (to begin to aclimate myself to the "be prepared for anything" test climate) and I got rocked. I scored a 5!! :scared:. Its okay though because I knew verbal was going to be the hardest. I was curious if anyone else using these tests could post their scores and or advice (I know there was a thread a while back, but that was for the April exam and I'm in need of encouragment and advice from the august takers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just started EK101! I haven't done any VR review up until this point, and my exam is on 4/27. Needless to say, I was nervous.

1 – 10 (30/40, 75%)

I got ripped on the first passage then pulled it together. Honestly though, I'm going to need to work on my endurance. I had such a hard time staying focused once I hit the 4th passages. I had the 'am I done yet?' mentality, which really isn't too good at all lol.

Test 1: 9
Test 2: 11
Test 3: 11
Test 4: 10

--Took about 2 months off from EK and just did a few Kaplan passages--

Test 5: 9
Test 6: on pace for 8

So basically Kaplan verbal made me dumber, and now my AAMC verbal scores dropped form 11s to 8s...WTH!! I gotta get it back in the next month before my 4/4 test. Just gimme a 10 on verbal and I'm good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not doing as well as everyone else, here are my scores.
1- 8
2- 8
3- 7
4- 8
5- 7
6- 8
7- 8

I am kinda hitting a plateau missing 2-3 per passage. I am getting faster though, before I was strained for time now I usually have about 5 mins left over.
I skip the hard passages leave them for the end, but this does not help much because I still dont understand what the author is trying to say.

When Im reviewing I retake the exam and try to answer the questions I got wrong.
I usually have it narrowed down to two choices but I end up always picking the wrong answer!

any advice?

Im not doing as well as everyone else, here are my scores.
1- 8
2- 8
3- 7
4- 8
5- 7
6- 8
7- 8

I am kinda hitting a plateau missing 2-3 per passage. I am getting faster though, before I was strained for time now I usually have about 5 mins left over.
I skip the hard passages leave them for the end, but this does not help much because I still dont understand what the author is trying to say.

When Im reviewing I retake the exam and try to answer the questions I got wrong.
I usually have it narrowed down to two choices but I end up always picking the wrong answer!

any advice?
TPR...
They do a good job explaining these issues and the problems we encounter on this section. They also address your querry *as in: narrowing it down to 2 and then choosing the wrong answer*...their reply to this problem is that the student still doesn't understand the question, stem, or what not. So, watch out for attractors-distractors. I don't know how much time you have till the exam, but if it is enough...I would recommend going thru their chapters on such issues in their Verbal review book.

Scores:

1 - 10
3 - 12
4 - 10

Nervous taking this after getting a 7 on a Kaplan diagnostic.

test
1 - 7
2 - 9
3 - 8
4 - 10
5 - 10
6 - 10
7 - 9
8 - 10
9 - 10
10 -10
11 - 10

I guess there ain't no improvement left for me, but that consistency is def encouraging :rolleyes:

Hi. I was wondering if most people are taking these practice tests in their entirety, or are just doing 2-3 passages in a timed fashion, and calculating their scores later on?

Thanks!

Hi. I was wondering if most people are taking these practice tests in their entirety, or are just doing 2-3 passages in a timed fashion, and calculating their scores later on?

Thanks!

I do 2 passages a day timed at 7 minutes each. I score them the same day. Once I finish all of a test, I go and calculate the grade.

Cheers

I do 2 passages a day timed at 7 minutes each. I score them the same day. Once I finish all of a test, I go and calculate the grade.

Cheers

This is exactly what I've been doing for now. I guess that, once we move on to more full length simulation, that should suffice for getting the timing of the entire section down pat.

Thanks for your reply.

So far I have scored:

1: 9 (64 mins)
2: 10 (63 mins)
3: 8 (59 mins)
4: 8 (61 mins)
5: 10 (59 mins)

I think I'm improving, but not quite sure. I noticed that when I don't understand a passage, I spend way more time on them, and despite using way more time, I miss the most questions. It's hard to "guess and move on".

Test 1: 9
Test 2: 11
Test 3: 11

--Took about 2 months off from EK and just did a few Kaplan passages--

Test 5: 9
Test 6: on pace for 8

So basically Kaplan verbal made me dumber, and now my AAMC verbal scores dropped form 11s to 8s...WTH!! I gotta get it back in the next month before my 4/4 test. Just gimme a 10 on verbal and I'm good.

Kaplan verbal "doesn't make you dumber" by any means. The style of the questions are different, but it doesn't mean that it's worthless practice. That being said TPRH Verbal>>>>>>EK>>>>>TBR>>Kaplan. My philosophy is any practice is good practice, though if you are taking 4/4 then your priorities should be AAMC only at this point. Good luck.

Ya it didnt make me dumber haha, but it might've got me out of rhythm a bit. It emphasizes different things and builds the wrong habits which will end up killing you on EK passages. But as long as you don't change your basic gameplan when you take kaplan passages, it shouldn't make you worse. It's only when you start building the wrong habits that Kaplan can make you worse at mcat verbal.

Members don't see this ad :)
EK 1 - 6
EK 2 - 9
EK 3 - 9
EK 4 - 11
EK 5 - 9 - Did this last night. Was my first full run through timed. I was quite tired and it was hard to focus. Finished about 8 minutes early and went back to a passage. Doing 6 today.

I have already finished the 101 book, but it was like 2 years ago. I averaged a bit above a 10 I think. This led to 8's on AAMC's.

I was reminded a little last night how outrageous EK can be sometimes. Still good practice, I guess.

6: 9 (60 mins) -- I thought test 6 was pretty tough!
7: 10 (60 mins)

Praying I stay at ~10+ from here on in :thumbup:

8: 10 (60 mins)

Darn . . . I was right on track to destroy VR #8, then got killed on two seemingly simple passages :thumbdown:

Got a 9 on test 6. Went 11/20 for the first half, then 18/20 for the second half. :smack:

I have a feeling I'll be in the double digits for 7 tomorrow.

My scores so far:

Test 1: 7
Test 2: 8
Test 3: 9

Let's hope they keep going up like this :smuggrin: I've been finishing the passages pretty darn quickly- last test was finished in ~ 46 mins..I know I should use these extra minutes to go over certain passages but by the time I get to the end I'm so happy it's over I'm just like eff it :x Should probably get rid of that attitude.

I've also noticed that EK's passages are easier to read that TPR's...however my scores aren't drastically different altho i've only taken 1 test from TPR from which I got a 9.

My goal is at least a 10 on the VR..test date is May 23rd..here's hoping :thumbup:

9: 10 (60 mins)

I'd like to improve, but at least I'm consistent :xf:

My scores so far:

Test 1: 7
Test 2: 8
Test 3: 9

Let's hope they keep going up like this :smuggrin: I've been finishing the passages pretty darn quickly- last test was finished in ~ 46 mins..I know I should use these extra minutes to go over certain passages but by the time I get to the end I'm so happy it's over I'm just like eff it :x Should probably get rid of that attitude.

I've also noticed that EK's passages are easier to read that TPR's...however my scores aren't drastically different altho i've only taken 1 test from TPR from which I got a 9.

My goal is at least a 10 on the VR..test date is May 23rd..here's hoping :thumbup:

It's amazing you are able to finish these tests in 46 mins... How long does it take you to read a passage? It takes me about 3 1/2 mins to read a passage. That is already 25 minutes for a whole test and I have another 35 mins to answer these questions. Don't you have to refer back to the passages sometimes to answer some of these questions?

30/40 for a 10 on test 7. I don't really care so long as my next AAMC test is a 10 or better. I've always scored 9-11 on EK and 7-8 on AAMC. I can't put my finger on it, but AAMC Vr is just ... Different, and it throws me off. Thank god for the assessment package.

what is the time span to completely finish the EK 101 book in a timely and intelligent fashion?

just asking...coz am getting there

It's amazing you are able to finish these tests in 46 mins... How long does it take you to read a passage? It takes me about 3 1/2 mins to read a passage. That is already 25 minutes for a whole test and I have another 35 mins to answer these questions. Don't you have to refer back to the passages sometimes to answer some of these questions?

I've been finishing early with everything (even 20 minutes early on my last bio FL portion that I did) The last verbal that I did, I finished 12 minutes early with interruptions. It's because I rushed and because I only have a limited amount of time before someone asks me a questions or wants me to do something (children). I don't have anyone to watch them since my husband is at work, so I have to take the test while they run around the room. It forces me to be quick or else I won't finish. I also do not refer back to the passage very often. I go off intuition and "best feel." I finally hit a "10" in verbal by doing this.

I'm looking forward to taking a test in a quite area with nobody bothering me to see if I improve at all. Verbal is so hard, and I don't always agree with the explanations given for some of the questions.

Try some verbal passages without going back. You might suprise yourself as I did. It's hard to resist the urge, though. :)

6: 9 (60 mins)
9: 10 (60 mins)
10: 10 (60 mins)

This is ridiculous. I tried not going back to the passages as much, and I think it actually helps. I missed an 11 by 1 point on #10.

Test #11 I'm getting an 11! :D

UPDATE: EK Test 11: 9 (60 mins)

- I think I am done with EK 101 since my test date is fast approaching.

Thus far on AAMC tests 3,4,5,7 I have scored -- 9,10,11,11. The questions are a bit less "tricky" than some of the EK, but I don't think I would have ever scored an 11 without using EK's approach and practice passages.

Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Test 1 : 29/40 = 9
Test 2 : 27/40 = 8
Test 3 : 22/40 = 6 (not a good sign!)
Test 4 : 27/40 = 8 (I had to guess in the last passage and got only 2/7 on it)

Last edited:
1-8
2-6
3-9
4-8
5-8
6-8
7-8
8-7
9-8
10-10
11-7

AAMC 3-10
AAMC4-9
missed 10 raw on both, but scaled score 1 less on AAMC4

not sure if I should finish EK or not...may just skip to TPRH verbal

Note to everyone who's relying on EK for verbal:

Passages from EK are much shorter + easier to read than the actual ones..

Not only that, but transitioning from the book to computer screen took some time to get used to. For some reason I totally lovvvve being able to actually write on the test and all that jazz. I've seen a score decrease since using CBTs :scared:

Not only that, but transitioning from the book to computer screen took some time to get used to. For some reason I totally lovvvve being able to actually write on the test and all that jazz. I've seen a score decrease since using CBTs :scared:

THIS TOO.
I cant read the damn thing on the screen.

What the consensus as far as TBR verbal passages versus EK101??? I struggle w/ VR and so far have only gotten through some of EK verbal and my scores are improving but I don't want to have a false sense of improvement- I want to take some of the most difficult/ boring passages bc part of my problem is making myself stay focused- basically I'm asking which is worse EK or TBR?

After taking AAMC#3, you are patially correct that EK passages are much easier; however, I do not agree that the EK passages are much shorter... I think the font size of the computer make the AAMC passages appear much longer than they are.

Last edited:
Test1: 38/60 = 8
Test2: 37/60 = 8
- i have been doing 2-3 passages a day, the total time that i spent on all questions in one test is add up to around 80mins.... is that bad? (bc it says 85mins in the verbal 101, but if i do it like Sn2ed suggested, i should be using only 65mins ish, bc there are 9 passages in a test)

also, how come i see some of you guys' scores are out of 40s? is there another version of the verbal 101?

Test1: 38/60 = 8
Test2: 37/60 = 8
- i have been doing 2-3 passages a day, the total time that i spent on all questions in one test is add up to around 80mins.... is that bad? (bc it says 85mins in the verbal 101, but if i do it like Sn2ed suggested, i should be using only 65mins ish, bc there are 9 passages in a test)

also, how come i see some of you guys' scores are out of 40s? is there another version of the verbal 101?

You probably have the older EK edition....The new EK 101 edition has 14 tests... 40 questions (7 passages) per test just like the MCAT....

Last edited:

Shorter? yes. Easier to read? Debatable. I barely used EK 1001 and I felt okay on the real thing...I used AAMC material instead because I found some of the questions on EK101 to be stupidly hard.

You probably have the older EK edition....The new EK 101 edition has 14 tests... 40 questions (7 passages) per test just like the MCAT....

ok, i see, are the passages the same in both books? Since im doing only 2-3 passages a day instead of doing the whole test, it should be fine, unless the passages are different in terms of difficulties, does anyone know? :confused:

Shorter? yes. Easier to read? Debatable. I barely used EK 1001 and I felt okay on the real thing...I used AAMC material instead because I found some of the questions on EK101 to be stupidly hard.

The questions are a bit ambiguous, but the passages in EK 101 are much easier to comprehend because they dont really have fancy words/phrases at all.

can someone answer this?
Some people are doing 2-3 at a time, and then putting up their score after finishing the entire test (over a period of a few days). Others may just be taking the test individually. To each his own.

I have the old version of EK101, so split the 85 minutes, 60 question passages into:
14 tests with around 46 questions each. Trying to do this within 60 minutes timeframe event though there are 6 extra questions.

Just did my first one and got demolished......
Verbal Reasoning Test 1
Overall: 34/46, 73.9%
P1: 5/7, P2: 6/7, P3: 5/6, P4: 4/6, P5: 3/6, P6: 7/7, P7: 4/7

Now time to review all my mistakes and hopefully, rock tomorrow's verbal test!

Last edited:
Some people are doing 2-3 at a time, and then putting up their score after finishing the entire test (over a period of a few days). Others may just be taking the test individually. To each his own.

I have the old version of EK101, so split the 85 minutes, 60 question passages into:
14 tests with around 46 questions each. Trying to do this within 60 minutes timeframe event though there are 6 extra questions.

Just did my first one and got demolished......
Verbal Reasoning Test 1
Overall: 34/46, 73.9%
P1: 5/7, P2: 6/7, P3: 5/6, P4: 4/6, P5: 3/6, P6: 7/7, P7: 4/7

Now time to review all my mistakes and hopefully, rock tomorrow's verbal test!

Nice, I think that's what I'm going to do. I got an 8 on the first one and i did it all at once but towards the end i was so drained. It made me wonder how all of you are managing the tests.

Test 3 : 22/40 = 6
Test 4 : 27/40 = 8
Test 5 : 29/40 = 9
Test 6 : 21/40 = 6 (This test was just weird, I got most of 'my wrong answers' in the passage that were easier to read)

Test 3 : 22/40 = 6
Test 4 : 27/40 = 8
Test 5 : 29/40 = 9
Test 6 : 21/40 = 6 (This test was just weird, I got most of 'my wrong answers' in the passage that were easier to read)

How much time are you finishing with?