Examkrackers - all it's cracked up to be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fencinghippie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm currently in a TPR class, but I want some additional materials (more background, just another side to the information). Would you recommend the Examkracker's Complete Study Package? Or what other books did you find indispensable? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You should be a journalist, your ability to write corny headlines will get you a job pronto.

You should be a journalist, your ability to write corny headlines will get you a job pronto.

Dude, you're a real ball-buster, aren't you? Try not to be so truculent...

BTW, EK is...okay, I guess. I don't know if I completely trust them though...

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, ExamKrackers was just a set of books that made me do busy work-it doesnt really help all that much because they are not designed for the new computer based MCAT. With that said, I would recommend getting the 1001 bio book, only because it truly DRILLS the info into your brain.

Yeah I found the review books to be helpful and easy to read. The only other resource I used was the Kaplan big book, which was good, but a little much for what the actual test throws at you.

There's a reason people recommend EK here. It works.

Last edited:
:thumbdown:
Honestly, ExamKrackers was just a set of books that made me do busy work-it doesnt really help all that much because they are not designed for the new computer based MCAT. With that said, I would recommend getting the 1001 bio book, only because it truly DRILLS the info into your brain.
fail. epic.

I actually really really liked EK. I dont have my MCAT score back yet, so I cant say that it was really effective, but I thought it did a really good job of making the information as engaging (colors and pictures help us visual learners, audio osmosis helps the audio learners), and as concise as possible (TBR and Kaplan have all the info and then some, EK just gives the bare minimum) but honestly 20 days before the test who can go through ALL ten of the TBR books again ? So for that I thought EK was best. My strategy was as follows: I did TBR and Nova Physics first (with all the tests), I read Kaplan, I did all of EK (tests included), and last I did the Kaplan tests coz I heard they were the hardest (even though I now disagree, Examkrackers tests are harder).

I was scoring 10-12 on TBR and Kaplan tests but only 6-8 on Examkrackers tests. Theyre MUCH harder even though theyre actually very small, concise and simply written they are just harder.

what are you smoking? the EK review books are great. they are concise and easy to read. the actual sample questions are a different story, though. i only bought their review books, not the 1001 practice problem ones or whatever. I personally liked using Kaplan as a comprehensive study followed by a concise summary through EK. For practice tests, though, well, i'm still trying to find the best ones. the AAMCs are obviously your best bet. after that, not sure yet...

followed by a concise summary through EK.

yep 100% agree, EK= concise summary, the books are great, I did all the 1001s(they were good for practice)but I would recommend supplementing your review with different sources.

I worried that perhaps it was too concise but I've never heard anyone say that they've seen stuff on the MCAT's based on information which didn't show up in the EK books.
Hm anyone can comment on this? I have heard people who used (and liked) the EK series that they recommended supplementing it with Kaplan or TPR for example. I am not sure if this is a result of many people enrolled in courses who buy the EK books separately for additional practice, or if people just honestly feel EK by themselves are not sufficient review. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used pretty much only EK books but then if I didn't really get a concept... like capacitors or something I would go to a physics book and read a little more on it. I probably would have done this with any other books too... just to get a little more info. EK books are great, but if you have trouble with a concept don't hesitate to go to the internet or another book. You'd probably find this to be true with any review book because they assume you already had this and can remember the concept.

what are you smoking? the EK review books are great. they are concise and easy to read. the actual sample questions are a different story, though. i only bought their review books, not the 1001 practice problem ones or whatever. I personally liked using Kaplan as a comprehensive study followed by a concise summary through EK. For practice tests, though, well, i'm still trying to find the best ones. the AAMCs are obviously your best bet. after that, not sure yet...

Sorry guys, I didnt make myself clear..oh and i dont smoke. I didnt purchase the review books...I just purchased the 1001 series and all. I am sure that the summaries are concise, but I wouldnt know because I used Kaplan and PR. I also have all of teh AAMC exams from 3R-10R and used those to study.

Liked the EK set a lot, but it seems like they are a bit behind the times (I haven't seen the edition that just came out this year).

The bio book did not reflect the sheer volume of genetics that was on my test.

Despite a lack of change in written policy, it seems like AAMC has been moving the bio section steadily toward molecular genetics. The EK books I bought last year were way behind on this.

I personally took TPR as well, but from my friends who used EK, apparently the science isn't as in-depth as they would've liked, after comparing books to my TPR books. Although the TPR books do contain a little more knowledge than is necessary, it doesn't hurt to know more, and it only reaffirms your grasp of the basics.

EK 101 Verbal Passages is a must-have though I think.

I've been using EK's Bio and Ochem (5th Edition) and they seem to be pretty good. I especially like when they say you don't need to memorize this or that, but understand this or that. It helps me focus on understanding more fundamentals. When reading the Kaplan counterpart, it doesn't say anything like this and it can get boggling trying to understand every single little detail. Thus, I read the Kaplan version first and then summarize what I just read with the EK material. I think they are good for what they are, a concise summary. So far so good.

Liked the EK set a lot, but it seems like they are a bit behind the times (I haven't seen the edition that just came out this year).

The bio book did not reflect the sheer volume of genetics that was on my test.

Despite a lack of change in written policy, it seems like AAMC has been moving the bio section steadily toward molecular genetics. The EK books I bought last year were way behind on this.

Curious as to which areas you're including in "genetics", what EK calls genetics I mostly covered in cell/molecular in really granular detail, stuff like stimulating DNA to initiate transcription of mRNA then onto protein synthesis on the ribosome/rough ER, snurps, siRNA and the like. That stuff was covered on EK bio, but it seemed to be summarized really briefly.

I always thought of genetics as punnett squares and sex linked chromosomes, which of these two (or something different) are being covered more on the MCAT now please?

Anyone looking for some good studying materials, please check out the downloads section of my website. Hope this helps!
http://www.rishi-kumar.com/downloads/mcatusmle/

Hey Richk789, Thanks a lot for your website. I will definietley need a lot of those things, especially the Kaplan info about the Boards. Its always reassuring to have someone who is always looking to help others out. Thanks again.
Take Care

i took the examkracker course and learned this:

-EK was VERY soft on the physical sciences i.e. kinda dumbed things down, and since they pride themselves on "only giving you the stuff that matters", i found the PS review material to be incomplete. it was great with bio, orgo, verbal, but for me fell short in PS

1st time i took it, i got a 26. (with only EK prep).

my second time, i used TPR for my PS review. they are notoriously nitty gritty and that is what i really needed to really nail the PS. if you can do well with TPR, you can do well on the real thing.

this worked out for me. using TPR instead of EK for physical sciences, and using EK for the rest (well, maybe using my own little verbal strategies as well) i ended up raising my score 4 points the second time around.

i also took TPR and supplemented with EK orgo and bio. i really liked the bio and orgo. there was so little orgo on my exam (1 passage) that the ek orgo would be sufficient.. it is pretty easy to get bogged down in all of the super detailed TPR orgo. bio is nice for quick, concise summaries (i.e. reviewing endocrine system). i thought EK physics was terrible and gen chem not very good.

they have a lot of errors in them (i don't understand how it got to print with them all??) and this really annoyed me

What up,
I only used the EK books (not the 1001 series, just the review package) and read through each of the subject books a few times. Just took the May 31 MCAT, so I don't know how well it turned out, but I thought the books did a very decent job of covering the material. The only places it seemed lacking were in Orgo and a few very specific bio questions I encountered on AAMC tests 3-8. On the actual MCAT, though, there was nothing I hadn't seen from the EK tests. In all fairness though I can't speak to how well it covers physics since I am a phys major and knew most of the stuff from coursework. Honestly, with all the information out there that *can* be tested, its impossible to get a 45-level-knowledge from one book. As one of the above posts suggested, the smartest maneuver IMO is to just study the **** out of one of the namebrand mcat prep books, take some practice tests, and just use the internet to brush up on whatever you don't feel comfortable with.

completely agree. i have gone through TPR, Kaplan, and EK (in that order), and found that EK is lacking a lot of details that would be helpful to know. it would be a good starting or ending point though to reinforce or introduce new material. good luck!

I've been using the EK books + their 1001 series and all has been good. The great thing about the 1001 series books, is that they drill concepts. So, although the passages may not be totally reflective of the real MCAT, the concepts are all that matters.