MCAT Examkrackers Audio Osmosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XM Examkrackers

Test Prep Exhibitor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN Members:

A simple look around the SDN forums will tell you how highly recommended Audio Osmosis is as a complement to the Examkrackers comprehensive course or self-study program.

Examkrackers MCAT Audio Osmosis with Jordan and Jon is complete preparation for the MCAT on 12 audio CDs: Every MCAT topic and formula thoroughly explained by two of the top MCAT experts in the country. Exciting and interesting delivery keeps you awake and assists recall. Intonation and sound effects clarify concepts in ways that can't be duplicated in books or even in the classroom. Convenient tracking allows easy repetition of important points. Designed to be used with or without Examkrackers MCAT Complete Study Package. As comprehensive as any MCAT prep course available. To listen to the complete sampler online, go to https://www.examkrackers.com/store/p...8044dcee0df008.

Examkrackers will giving away one free audio osmosis set to one lucky member. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Audio Osmosis.jpg
    Audio Osmosis.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 195
I'm using Audio Osmosis and I really enjoy it. It really helps set in the information that I just read about and its great to hear an explanation about it that helps you visualize the material. Its a great aid during the study process

i heard conflicting views about audio osmosis. Does it really help improve your verbal by just listening to it, I thought it's all practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently have the ExamKrackers complete book set and was curious as to whether the Audio Osmosis is just a reiteration of what's in the books or if it really is beneficial to get the Audio Osmosis set as well.

can I just drive and listen to this? Or do I need to actively take notes to learn from it?

I could make up some crazy fake question to show my enthusiasm....but I won't. I have been studying with other EK products and enjoy them so I want to start studying with audio osmosis.....sign me up for the raffle!!

Dear SDN members,

Thanks for checking out Audio Osmosis and asking good questions and offering feedback. I will do my best to answer your questions.

@Doctormo24
I'm glad you find them useful. Thank you for the positive feedback.

@BobbyT
I think verbal is just one of those sections where you have to practice practice practice and all they can really tell you on the CD with regards to verbal is the few techniques that Examkrackers uses.

@PharMed2016
Audio osmosis does not come with any formula sheets because they are only supposed to be used as a supplement to the books but it does work quite well with the complete study package.

@maeryn
It really depends on how you like to learn. I definitely think the complete study package is more than sufficient for the MCAT. However, I think audio osmosis works best as a supplement that you can listen to whenever you have some spare time to listen and concentrate on what is covered.

@badapplestix
I believe it is a total of 14 hours.

@de_la_soul
I think people have used audio osmosis many different ways in the past and you will have to experiment to see what works best for you. I have heard from some people that they can't listen to them while driving because they get caught up and forget to pay attention to driving. Some people just like to listen to them when they are at the gym or walking around campus and some people do listen to them while driving. I have heard from students that some of them will actually sit down while listening to the CDs and take notes, which I think is another great way of studying.

@cuadrado
Good luck with the raffle.

i heard conflicting views about audio osmosis. Does it really help improve your verbal by just listening to it, I thought it's all practice.

Don't use it as your primary study source, but it ABSOLUTELY helps. I put it on my IPOD a few years ago during the summer I was taking class while studying for the MCAT. I'd play the tracks as I walked to and from class (about 10 minutes each way) and whenever I went anywhere else really (if I was driving, etc). And I'll tell you what, it really helped drive the points home.

Unless you absolutely CANNOT visualize things, I'd highly recommend AO. It's best as a supplement to their stuff AFTER you've gone through the written material.

@de_la_soul
I think people have used audio osmosis many different ways in the past and you will have to experiment to see what works best for you. I have heard from some people that they can't listen to them while driving because they get caught up and forget to pay attention to driving. Some people just like to listen to them when they are at the gym or walking around campus and some people do listen to them while driving. I have heard from students that some of them will actually sit down while listening to the CDs and take notes, which I think is another great way of studying.

I enjoyed using AO while preparing for the MCAT. With that said, I found that listening to the Biology and Organic Chemistry lectures was the most productive. Bio & Orgo have the most material that requires memorization and understanding versus Physics and General Chemistry which is very math/computational heavy. For me, it was easy to listen to concepts rather than following formulas and calculations.

can I just drive and listen to this? Or do I need to actively take notes to learn from it?

I would recommend biology or Ochem. The physics really requires you to pay attention to truly absorb the concepts.

For clarification: This set reviews Biology, [Organic] Chemistry, Physics, and Verbal Reasoning?

P.S. I really wanted to win this last year. I hope I get it this time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it false that the EK forums got closed down and now the errata sheet isn't published? I remember Coulomb's law being off by a magnitude of 10^38 but that there were a couple others too. I remember reading it a year ago so its probably fixed now.

This sounds like a great supplement to fill in those extra minutes of the day when we're driving/walking around. I'd love to use this in the car when I commute to class and work. Do people ever listen to it while they're sleeping?!

Hi people. I want to help out my colleague, Xiaosong and even add to some of his answers. I have somewhat long responses, so I'm going to post separately for many of them. Some of you seem to be posting things that scream, "God, I hope I win this package," and I can't say I blame you. I too love our materials and I too am broke. Still, I hope you guys read each other's posts and our posts, especially the first one put up by XM Examkrackers.

I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Audio Osmosis. When my students ask what other materials they should get, I really resist telling them to get anything else for the MCAT. At that point, they already have 16 Mini MCATs and the Comprehensive Series. I don’t want them to get overwhelmed. But more than any other book (save, perhaps, the 101 Verbal Reasoning book), I tell them to get this. Even as well as I understand the concepts and even with all the experience I have teaching, Jordan and Jon just explain things so perfectly in Audio Osmosis that EK has even told its instructors to use AO to prepare their lectures. I have to agree with The South Face’s comment above. AO is especially helpful with Bio and Orgo, at least for someone like me, who struggles with memorization. It has wonderful mnemonics and even the stupid sound effects get stuck in my head with their exact words and help me to remember everything. Still, Physics and Chem are taught very, very well in these books. You might need to see some formulas with your eyes to go along with the abstract concepts floating in the space between your ears, but the explanations you’ll hear in the AO CDs are unlike any you’ll see anywhere, even in our books. It’s just great to hear someone explain things in layman’s terms and the dialectic-lite method that Jon and Jordan employ is also very helpful for addressing all kinds of questions that come up. If you’re not taking the course, this is the closest you’ll get to hearing an expert explain the concepts in the book to you.

I really believe that the CDs are an almost complete lecture series. That is, if you use them exactly as you would lectures given by a professor, remembering to take notes, you shouldn’t need to use other resources that often. That said, they are meant to go along with the books. The way I tell my students to use them is essentially the same way as I tell them to use our books. Listen to them once through in a library while following along with the books, only don’t stop them. Just listen carefully and take in as much as you can, as if you’re listening for interest. The second time around, stop and rewind every time you come across something that doesn’t make complete sense immediately, but don’t worry about memorization. Once you’ve finished that second run-through, just repeat the CDs randomly every chance you get. You should NOT be hearing and contemplating about Physics lectures for the first or second time while driving. Please don’t get us in trouble by telling a state trooper that we’re responsible for your reckless driving. Once you’ve listened to the CDs in detail, you just need to repeat, and you can do that while driving, working out, eating, cooking, walking around, etc. You’ll hear everything so many times that you’ll have the punch lines memorized and won’t even pay attention to the stuff that you know inside and out. And that’s kinda the point…because when you hear Jordan say something like, “Anterior Pituitary Hormones? Oh, that’s easy…that’s ‘flat pig,’” your ears should perk up and you should see if you can beat him to the recitation of the hormones in that acronym. I listen to music incessantly, and while I studied the MCAT, I replaced all that music with AO CDs. I knew them inside and out by the time I took the MCAT.

Mind you, this is a complete LECTURE series, not a truly complete course. You still have to practice, which is where our lecture books, 1001/101 series and AAMC diagnostic exams come into play.

For clarification: This set reviews Biology, [Organic] Chemistry, Physics, and Verbal Reasoning?

P.S. I really wanted to win this last year. I hope I get it this time!

Haha, yes, Milliya, though I don't think you are truly confused about this, yes, all 5 subjects of the MCAT and the WS section are all covered in these CDs.

Last edited:
Is it false that the EK forums got closed down and now the errata sheet isn't published? I remember Coulomb's law being off by a magnitude of 10^38 but that there were a couple others too. I remember reading it a year ago so its probably fixed now.

I still see errata on the forums and use the forums all the time. You don't have access to every forum if you are a free member, and you can't post errata yourself because you have to email them and have them confirmed before they are posted, but yes, the forum is a very active and vital part of our website, and yes, this is quite a run-on sentence.

This sounds like a great supplement to fill in those extra minutes of the day when we're driving/walking around. I'd love to use this in the car when I commute to class and work. Do people ever listen to it while they're sleeping?!

Jordan jokes about using AO while you sleep and certainly the name for the CDs comes from that concept of "learning through osmosis." Let me give you a very technical answer to what seems like a somewhat facetious question:

We at EK want you to get a great conceptual understanding of these sciences (and even Verbal methods) to do well on the MCAT. This necessitates that your studies are a truly conscious process, even painfully conscious, rather than something like rote memorization. As such, you need to be awake when learning the concepts explained in the CDs. Even though they are explained, you cannot learn them while asleep if you are to apply them while you're awake. Perhaps listening to the CDs while you're asleep will help reinforce concepts that you've already learned ONCE YOU'VE ALREADY LEARNED THEM. I know that having noise throughout the night, except for people who live and sleep in noisy environments (and sometimes even for them) prevents us from entering a really deep, restorative state of sleep, so perhaps listening to AO in your sleep is contraindicated in light of your need for rest and stress-coping during this time.

The bottom line, though, is this. While I cannot disprove that listening to these CDs at night will help beyond whatever listening/contemplating you do during your waking hours, such a practice should be employed IN ADDITION to and not IN LIEU of conscious learning and rehearsing.

Exam Crackers is supposed to be really helpful for the DAT as well.

I have to admit when one of my friends told me about this I really thought it was people buying it and listening to it in their sleep and hoping to learn everything lol. I soon found out my perception of it was wrong. But I was wondering does AO go along with the other texts that Examcrackers offers? or is mostly different as far as detail or information?

I have to admit when one of my friends told me about this I really thought it was people buying it and listening to it in their sleep and hoping to learn everything lol. I soon found out my perception of it was wrong. But I was wondering does AO go along with the other texts that Examcrackers offers? or is mostly different as far as detail or information?

It goes along with the regular lecture books. You can find extra practice problems organized by the same topics in the 1001 series.

If I already have the complete study package and the 1001/101 series, does AO offer much more of an advantage or am I already pretty much set?

If I already have the complete study package and the 1001/101 series, does AO offer much more of an advantage or am I already pretty much set?

Please take a look at BP Examkracker's first post in this thread.
In general, I find a good portion of my classes using audio osmosis because it allows them to study and think about the MCAT in places where reading a book would be less convenient, like while driving, at the gym, walking to class, etc. That being said, if you are an audio learner, I strongly recommend audio osmosis as a supplement to the complete study package. However, if you were someone in college who didn't get much out of lectures and basically studied from the book, then AO might not be as useful to you, especially compared to the complete study package and 1001/101 series.

Ultimately, I think you need to judge for yourself how useful you think AO will be. I suggest going to the sampler page so you can hear some of the sample AO lectures. You can access it here: https://www.examkrackers.com/store/...38&PHPSESSID=cf16cfa27e7d4c40f78044dcee0df008

Whats the best way to incorporate this while studying?

audio osmosis is great and not as boring as other audio prep materials.

I was pleasantly surprised to see how well Audio Osmosis is fitting in my study schedule, even with my Berkeley Review material it seems to follow the same order (especially for physics.) Great product, highly recommended.:thumbup:

I'm using my roommates 1001 Physics questions and find it very helpful. I would be grateful to receive the audio tapes. I can't really afford to buy them right now so I am hopeful.... Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.