Starting LGBT group within professional society

Started by DrZeke
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I am trying to start an LGBT(QIA) group within my specialty's national professional society and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for how to go about this.

I talked to someone higher up in my society and she wanted me to:
1) identify interested people
2) identify goals from talking with interested parties - she also gave me a few contacts.
3) only once I had done those things and could come back to her about it could we discuss more
4) she also suggested maybe starting as a "clinical interested group" akin to "ophthalmic genetics interest group"

To be honest, I was a little surprised we didn't have an LGBT subgroup. I wanted to show LGBT med students and members that we are welcoming and that they have a safe space and maybe also do educational opportunities/activities for currently practitioners. I also was surprised they hadn't thought of starting one or that it would have to start as a "clinical INTEREST group". I don't think this is an "interest group". We aren't interested it's like we are what we are.... They do have a minorities in ophthalmology group, but I don't feel it's the same as LGBTQIA, the individuals in that group are predominantly racial minorities and I don't want to take away from their experience.

Anyone have any resources or advice for me?

Thanks!
 
Affinity group? My college's LGBTQ+ office didn't feel okay to call it a club and suggested to use this term instead.