Examples of translational research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubbachuck

Fear denies faith
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good examples of research that translated really well from benchside to bedside? I'm going with AIDS. What was a death sentence 15-20 years ago has become more like diabetes.

Members don't see this ad.

cancer research stuff. like gleevec. (check out magic cancer bullet if you want the entire story)

What are some good examples of research that translated really well from benchside to bedside? I'm going with AIDS. What was a death sentence 15-20 years ago has become more like diabetes.

Talking about translational research, I think it's hard to give examples of something you can't define.

[/half in jest]

Members don't see this ad :)
clinical psyc research , eg. on depression and vulnerability to depression.
Might sound off if you think about it at first but you collect data by conducting clinical interviews and assess symptom levels and depressive/anxiety/psychotic episodes

You can make almost anything translational research- you just have to start with a patient centered question and take it down to a more physiologic level. Tons of good examples in almost any discipline:
Example from peds from a few years ago- antibiotics for pedi ear infections?? answer: study what causes them =60%+ virus- so no.
1 study- swab kids ears and there you go.

or HIV- diabetes treatment for antiretroviral lipodystrophy and associated insulin resitance? You see the problem in the patient and try to take it to the cellular molecular level - so hwat is the abnormaility in fat metabolism induced by those drugs?
Theoretically not nearly as hard as you think, just requires a lot of varied skill sets.....

don't let the fancy name scare you!!