EXCEL program at Boston U.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorfan99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attended this program? Its a month-long "thing" before you start D-school. I am having second thoughts because its 1000 dollars :eek: just for the tuition..

peace,
Gatorfan

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a lot of money to me. I mean $1000 tuition plus having to find a place to live and having to buy food etc. makes this a $3000 expense at least. I'm going on vacation during that time, I personally think that's a better use of your $3000 in the long term. Regenerate yourself in time for classes.

it's not really worth it from what i hear. if you're coming to get familiar with the city, you can do it on your own. the only reason why i would come is to get to know my classmates a little earlier but you'll get sick of each other by november anyway...:D .

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be a good idea if you've been out of school for a while and to get to know your classmates a little better. But the 1000 bucks is a little much for me, just to study an extra month, so I definately w?ll not be there.

Yeah, I am probably going to keep my money too... thanks for your help!

P.S- Anyone could give me some info on the best places to live in Boston are located?? What neighborhoods to avoid, etc.. thanks!

A lot of people say that the South End(where the BUdschool is) isn't the best place to walk alone at night, but I think that holds true to most areas of cities.

I wouldnt worry too much about that, I'm just going to try to live within a reasonable distance to the school, say 15 minute walk, or easy bus ride, possibly in the Back bay or Fenway/Symphony area.

Do you know when classes start Gatorfan99? I've seen lots of listings for september but I believe our classes start in early august. I'm also having a heck of a time finding a place that allows dogs. I was frankly told a couple of times that, "if you are bringing a dog, stay at home". Sure won't be using them as my realtors then.

Radioheadblue said:
A lot of people say that the South End(where the BUdschool is) isn't the best place to walk alone at night, but I think that holds true to most areas of cities.

I wouldnt worry too much about that, I'm just going to try to live within a reasonable distance to the school, say 15 minute walk, or easy bus ride, possibly in the Back bay or Fenway/Symphony area.

Just a few thoughts if you guys are going to attend BU in the fall. EXCEL isn't worth the money, and you can always make friends throughout the year, and will have time too to get to know the city later. Don't feel pressured to attend EXCEL unless you are extremely nervous, which you shouldn't be at all about starting school in the fall. Save that money, it will be very handy once you realize how much money you have to borrow to pay for tuition at BU.

About living situation. If you are very disciplined and can get up early in the morning to take public transportation, then yes, living in Back Bay, Fenway or any other areas should be fine.

But if you are the type of student that stays up late, gets up late and runs to class, you should live close to school, and I mean 5-10 min. walk because as you already said, it's not safe walking around BUMC, but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. You can't get to Back Bay or Fenway or any other areas without walking out of the South End first, so you might as well live in the South End, hehe, SE has tons of nicer corners, areas, so there are many choices.

If you study at the library often, it's also good to stay close to campus. Waiting for buses and walking to the subway stations is a pain, especially when it is cold, windy, snowing, or hot and humid, which is....well how Boston is in that exact cycle year round...

:)

So that is just a preview.

More questions? ask me and I will check back when i am avoiding studying before an exam and answer you.

Good luck and see you around...

well, there is the Silver Line on Washington street, which is only 3 minutes walk from BUMC. Silverline comes every 4-6 minutes during busy times, 10-12 minutes during other times, it will take you to Orange Line (in about 5 min.)at NE Med Center, which is where Tufts med. and dent. campus is. Silverline is nicer and faster than bus, and runs on the street, not underground. I used to be sooo confused about the silverline before coming here because the MBTA.com website list the Silverline with the subway trains, not buses, but Silverline runs on the street.
Silverline can also take you to Downtown Crossing, where you can switch to the Red line subway, and it also takes you to Green line subway on Boyslton...

all and all, transportation from and to BUMC isn't as bad, but it just takes extra time depending on where you are going or where you come from.

Another subway station is Back Bay Orange line, also where the commute train is, the Ammtrak train I think, across from Copley Mall where you can catch the Orange line subway also. There is a bus infront of BU Dent. which is bus #10, that takes you to Copley, but this bus doesn't seem to come as often as it claims (every 12-15 min). I hate this #10 personally.