Excellent Master's Programs in Neuroscience!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulneuro

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am betting that this thread will be moved but while it's here I hope someone has any anecdotes or info. about master's programs in neuroscience. I have the USNews stuff, and am looking for more than just the top 15 or whatever. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hopefulneuro said:
I am betting that this thread will be moved but while it's here I hope someone has any anecdotes or info. about master's programs in neuroscience. I have the USNews stuff, and am looking for more than just the top 15 or whatever. Thanks!

When I applied to the neuro grad programs in 99, most were PhD track, not MS (i honestly don't remember there being any master programs at all). It is possible to go PhD and leave early with a MS, but most programs would not admit you if this was your intent. What is your goal with getting a masters? (or what is your career goal in general?) More coursework, or research?

Thanks for your response!

A few programs have terminal master's, including stanford and northwestern.

There are a number of reasons why I feel some grad school is a great decision.

1.) Neuroscience is something i am very interested in
2.) I could get into grad fairly easily, whereas with med i'm 50/50 because of poor volunteerism
3.) Not entirely sure med is right for me, and not sure being a professor/researcher isn't (I love the idea of teaching and discovering things, but there's a part of me that still desires a high salary)
4.) Extra time to think
5.) Shows maturity, and hopefully great recs/publications
6.) Time..I would likely have to defer for a year to earn living $ and grad school seems to be a way to earn and enjoy the work

Maybe these points are way off base. Hopefully you can share some wisdom/experience!