exchange program with a french vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boudhator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am studying veterinary medicine in France (at the ENVT: National Veterinary School of Toulouse) and I am willing to study in the US during my clinical years. As I was looking for visiting opportunities at several veterinary colleges in your country I have read somewhere that the fees for a visiting student could be waived up if the school where I come from could welcome a us student in the same conditions. This is a good thing for French students since we can speak english but I wondered if some US students would be interested since everything is said in French in the veterinary hospital of my school! So that would be interesting for students that love France, have learnt French or want to learn ... Anyone interested?

I think this is something we could manage to set up!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

My mother is French (it's my first language, and I have my citizenship) and I would love to be able to study in France at some point. I am only a first-year student, though, so I won't start my clinical years until 2016. When would your clinical years be? And how long would you want to study in the US for? (All of your clinical years? Just a few months?) I also have no idea what the policies at my school (Cornell) are or what the logistics would involve, but I would be very interested to find out.

Let me know what you think, and maybe we could work something out!

Hi!

Actually this is great because I will be in my clinical years in 2016!
The veterinary education in France lasts 5 years: first two years are theorical, during the third year we do clinical in the mornings and lectures in the afternoons. Then you have two clinical years, Year 4 and Year 5. In Year 5, you have one clinical semester and one semester to write your thesis in order to graduate.
I am currently in Year 2, so I will start year 4 in 2015 and year 5 in 2016 so if both of us manage to work something out that would be for a semester in 2016 or 2017!

I will try to get some info in my school to know their conditions etc, and maybe you can do the same :)

If anyone has any question, do not hesitate!

Members don't see this ad :)
You might also try in Canada since we (sometimes) speak both English and French, and there 5 more vet schools to work with.
Good luck, hopefully I will be one of the ppl who want to come to France several years from now!

Thank you cbarne01, actually you are right! and I don't know why I did not think about it sooner! I will try to contact canadian vet schools to know if they think this is doable. I wish you good luck for veterinary school entrance exam!