Excited but yet terrified!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cawiau

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an Accounting major at Rutgers University. I was due to graduate next year...I say next year because at the beginning of this year I realised that I really want to go to medical school.

I was thinking about keeping my major in Accounting and taking the required classes to get into medical school. Doing that I would be pushing my graduation date to May 2009 :eek:, and was thinking about taking the MCAT than and applying to med school also (Crazy!!!!)

My mentor said it would be better for me to keep the Accounting as a Fallback and move forward. I am excited about this but yet terrified...

All the information is so overwhelming and I am trying to take it little by little (MCAT, med school, etc) and I think I will need all the help I can get. This board seemed to be a GOD sent.

So am I crazy or can I make this happen?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, yeah, of course you're crazy. But that doesn't mean you can't make it happen.

Before you decide to graduate with your accounting degree, talk to a pre-med advisor. It doesn't seem like a bad idea to have a safety net, but Adcoms are a strange bunch. You really don't want to look like a flake, and straight out of college switching careers could do it for you. Just check up on it, and if you decide to graduate on schedule, make sure you've got a really solid reason why in case you're asked about it in interviews.

:luck::luck:good luck:luck::luck:

Oh, yeah, of course you're crazy. But that doesn't mean you can't make it happen.

you decide to graduate with your accounting degree, talk to a pre-med advisor. It doesn't seem like a bad idea to have a safety net, but Adcoms are a strange bunch. You really don't want to look like a flake, and straight out of college switching careers could do it for you.

Intend to do so. Also worked as a Accounting Intern for a Financial Firm in the past 2 years. Just realised a bit early in the game that it just not what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Just check up on it, and if you decide to graduate on schedule, make sure you've got a really solid reason why in case you're asked about it in interviews.

:luck::luck:good luck:luck::luck:

Thanks...will do so. Most likely will graduate behind schedule if I continue with this.

Again thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Before you decide to graduate with your accounting degree, talk to a pre-med advisor. It doesn't seem like a bad idea to have a safety net, but Adcoms are a strange bunch. You really don't want to look like a flake, and straight out of college switching careers could do it for you. Just check up on it, and if you decide to graduate on schedule, make sure you've got a really solid reason why in case you're asked about it in interviews.

If we are talking about an undergrad major, I wouldn't worry. You can major in anything as long as you have the prereqs. The snags usually come if you start in on one (graduate) degree program and then want to jump right into another. Because then your interest in medicine vs degree collecting/career student comes into play.

OP, make sure you have ample health related ECs on top of the prereqs and you will be fine. Not sure you are actually a nontrad though if you are still in college.

Your question: Am I crazy?

My answer: Yes!!!

My reason: You majored in accounting!!!! You might as well majored in slashing you wrists!!!!":laugh:

(This from a guy with an Economics degree)

Just get the classes, kick butt in them and on the MCAT. It is exciting and scary, but that's what's awesome about it.

I bet you never got excited about checks and balances did you?:laugh:

Way to go! Welcome aboard the med school bandwagon :D

Like law2doc said, get in some good EC's, and study hard for that MCAT!

Thanks everyone for the support...

I am taking my first Chemistry and Biology classes this upcoming semester an just can't wait...

I am ready to do this.:)

I feel that I'm in the same boat however I've graduated from college and have been working a year in the finance world. I'm going to start a post bacc program in the fall as a part-time student. I was thinking of taking an EMT course over the summer so that I can try to get a job either as a tech in an ER or an an ambulance to help with clinicial experience, is this a good idea?