• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Executive Vice President for USCAP

BU Pathology

10+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2006
Boston
  1. Attending Physician
    USCAP has begun a search for an executive vice president, the link is on page three of the open positions thread. This position reports to the Board of Directors\Council and has responsibility for "overall strategic and operational responsibility for the execution of the USCAP mission."

Here is your chance to step up and make your voice heard. Applications are being accepted until December 31, 2013.

On a side note, this is one of the four positions posted in the past three days where groups are looking to hire pathologists. These are pretty typical of the "cold calls" that I routinely receive.

Daniel Remick, M.D.
    Chair and Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
    Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

10+ Year Member
    Jan 23, 2007
    1. Attending Physician
      USCAP has begun a search for an executive vice president, the link is on page three of the open positions thread. This position reports to the Board of Directors\Council and has responsibility for "overall strategic and operational responsibility for the execution of the USCAP mission."

Here is your chance to step up and make your voice heard. Applications are being accepted until December 31, 2013.

On a side note, this is one of the four positions posted in the past three days where groups are looking to hire pathologists. These are pretty typical of the "cold calls" that I routinely receive.

Daniel Remick, M.D.
      Chair and Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
      Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

Not sure if serious.

Glass Pusher

Dec 1, 2011
      1. Resident [Any Field]
        Not to rain on the parade, but when 1 of those 4 positions is for a dermatologist-trained dermpath and another is this position that maybe 0.1% of the pathology community is eligible for, I wouldn't be proclaiming these numbers as something to excite people.

My wife as a medicine resident routinely received that many calls a week (sometimes/day) about jobs. I always kindly reminded her that it was a good problem to start getting annoyed by recruiter calls.

About the Ads

Substance

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Jul 27, 2007
        1. Attending Physician
          Not to rain on the parade, but when 1 of those 4 positions is for a dermatologist-trained dermpath and another is this position that maybe 0.1% of the pathology community is eligible for, I wouldn't be proclaiming these numbers as something to excite people.

My wife as a medicine resident routinely received that many calls a week (sometimes/day) about jobs. I always kindly reminded her that it was a good problem to start getting annoyed by recruiter calls.

Dr.Remick tends to list positions to which underemployed pathology graduates would never be able to apply (director positions, derm-trained-dermpath etc)

I wonder why the academic pathology community continually tries to reduce the stature of the field by recruiting too many people and too many unqualified people. Are the academic types so insulated from the real world supply/demand curve that they forgetthat an oversupply is the worst thing for a profession's autonomy and intellectual output? Are they clandestinely profiting from a labor glut through investments in lab corps and consult businesses?

If I were an academic I would want to attract only the best and brightest, not barely-legible-in-English applicants whose twenty year old medical degree is from a country that no longer exists, nor rich-kid Caribbean grads who surfed their way to a step I of 199. Smart people will come up with better ideas than average or dumb people - a million monkeys will never type one sentence. Accepting poor quality people into a field reflects poorly on the field as a whole.

Radiology is doing the same thing now, if you haven't already heard, and the results will be the same as what has happened to you.

The thing about the NPC (non-patient-care) fields is that, since they are away from the front lines, they are also away from patient choice. If an oversupply exists, the only thing that will differentiate one pathologist or radiologist from another is cost - making the fields true commodities.

Thrombus

Removed
          15+ Year Member
          Sep 27, 2004
            bu path supported the ACA which is screwing over the entire profession. Enough said.

Apparently he didn't read what was in it before he supported it. the ACA is empowering CMS to destroy our livelihoods and reduce patient access to quality care.

10+ Year Member
            Jan 23, 2007
            1. Attending Physician
              I'm not sure I understand Dr. Remick's intent in this thread. He posts an ad for an executive vice president position and says this is typical of the cold calls he routinely receives. I don't understand if this is a tongue-in-cheek post or if he is being for real.

DermViser

10+ Year Member
              Apr 4, 2009
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                Dr.Remick tends to list positions to which underemployed pathology graduates would never be able to apply (director positions, derm-trained-dermpath etc)

I wonder why the academic pathology community continually tries to reduce the stature of the field by recruiting too many people and too many unqualified people. Are the academic types so insulated from the real world supply/demand curve that they forgetthat an oversupply is the worst thing for a profession's autonomy and intellectual output? Are they clandestinely profiting from a labor glut through investments in lab corps and consult businesses?

If I were an academic I would want to attract only the best and brightest, not barely-legible-in-English applicants whose twenty year old medical degree is from a country that no longer exists, nor rich-kid Caribbean grads who surfed their way to a step I of 199. Smart people will come up with better ideas than average or dumb people - a million monkeys will never type one sentence. Accepting poor quality people into a field reflects poorly on the field as a whole.

Radiology is doing the same thing now, if you haven't already heard, and the results will be the same as what has happened to you.

The thing about the NPC (non-patient-care) fields is that, since they are away from the front lines, they are also away from patient choice. If an oversupply exists, the only thing that will differentiate one pathologist or radiologist from another is cost - making the fields true commodities.

I don't think the quality of Radiology applicants has decreased. In fact it's one of the most competitive.

Johnny Sunshine

7+ Year Member
                Feb 24, 2012
                  Are the academic types so insulated from the real world supply/demand curve that they forget that an oversupply is the worst thing for a profession's autonomy and intellectual output?

Yes.

Are they clandestinely profiting from a labor glut through investments in lab corps and consult businesses?

Not so clandestinely, if you ask me.

About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.