Executive Vice President for USCAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU Pathology

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
USCAP has begun a search for an executive vice president, the link is on page three of the open positions thread. This position reports to the Board of Directors\Council and has responsibility for "overall strategic and operational responsibility for the execution of the USCAP mission."

Here is your chance to step up and make your voice heard. Applications are being accepted until December 31, 2013.

On a side note, this is one of the four positions posted in the past three days where groups are looking to hire pathologists. These are pretty typical of the "cold calls" that I routinely receive.

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Chair and Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

Members don't see this ad.

USCAP has begun a search for an executive vice president, the link is on page three of the open positions thread. This position reports to the Board of Directors\Council and has responsibility for "overall strategic and operational responsibility for the execution of the USCAP mission."

Here is your chance to step up and make your voice heard. Applications are being accepted until December 31, 2013.

On a side note, this is one of the four positions posted in the past three days where groups are looking to hire pathologists. These are pretty typical of the "cold calls" that I routinely receive.

Daniel Remick, M.D.
Chair and Professor of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center

Not sure if serious.

Not to rain on the parade, but when 1 of those 4 positions is for a dermatologist-trained dermpath and another is this position that maybe 0.1% of the pathology community is eligible for, I wouldn't be proclaiming these numbers as something to excite people.

My wife as a medicine resident routinely received that many calls a week (sometimes/day) about jobs. I always kindly reminded her that it was a good problem to start getting annoyed by recruiter calls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to rain on the parade, but when 1 of those 4 positions is for a dermatologist-trained dermpath and another is this position that maybe 0.1% of the pathology community is eligible for, I wouldn't be proclaiming these numbers as something to excite people.

My wife as a medicine resident routinely received that many calls a week (sometimes/day) about jobs. I always kindly reminded her that it was a good problem to start getting annoyed by recruiter calls.

Dr.Remick tends to list positions to which underemployed pathology graduates would never be able to apply (director positions, derm-trained-dermpath etc)

I wonder why the academic pathology community continually tries to reduce the stature of the field by recruiting too many people and too many unqualified people. Are the academic types so insulated from the real world supply/demand curve that they forgetthat an oversupply is the worst thing for a profession's autonomy and intellectual output? Are they clandestinely profiting from a labor glut through investments in lab corps and consult businesses?

If I were an academic I would want to attract only the best and brightest, not barely-legible-in-English applicants whose twenty year old medical degree is from a country that no longer exists, nor rich-kid Caribbean grads who surfed their way to a step I of 199. Smart people will come up with better ideas than average or dumb people - a million monkeys will never type one sentence. Accepting poor quality people into a field reflects poorly on the field as a whole.

Radiology is doing the same thing now, if you haven't already heard, and the results will be the same as what has happened to you.

The thing about the NPC (non-patient-care) fields is that, since they are away from the front lines, they are also away from patient choice. If an oversupply exists, the only thing that will differentiate one pathologist or radiologist from another is cost - making the fields true commodities.

bu path supported the ACA which is screwing over the entire profession. Enough said.

Apparently he didn't read what was in it before he supported it. the ACA is empowering CMS to destroy our livelihoods and reduce patient access to quality care.

I'm not sure I understand Dr. Remick's intent in this thread. He posts an ad for an executive vice president position and says this is typical of the cold calls he routinely receives. I don't understand if this is a tongue-in-cheek post or if he is being for real.

USCAP EVP is a tough job. You travel all the time, a lot internationally. A great job if you love teaching and travel and such. But obviously this is limited to experienced pathologists, most likely experienced and noteworthy academics.

Dr.Remick tends to list positions to which underemployed pathology graduates would never be able to apply (director positions, derm-trained-dermpath etc)

I wonder why the academic pathology community continually tries to reduce the stature of the field by recruiting too many people and too many unqualified people. Are the academic types so insulated from the real world supply/demand curve that they forgetthat an oversupply is the worst thing for a profession's autonomy and intellectual output? Are they clandestinely profiting from a labor glut through investments in lab corps and consult businesses?

If I were an academic I would want to attract only the best and brightest, not barely-legible-in-English applicants whose twenty year old medical degree is from a country that no longer exists, nor rich-kid Caribbean grads who surfed their way to a step I of 199. Smart people will come up with better ideas than average or dumb people - a million monkeys will never type one sentence. Accepting poor quality people into a field reflects poorly on the field as a whole.

Radiology is doing the same thing now, if you haven't already heard, and the results will be the same as what has happened to you.

The thing about the NPC (non-patient-care) fields is that, since they are away from the front lines, they are also away from patient choice. If an oversupply exists, the only thing that will differentiate one pathologist or radiologist from another is cost - making the fields true commodities.

I don't think the quality of Radiology applicants has decreased. In fact it's one of the most competitive.

Are the academic types so insulated from the real world supply/demand curve that they forget that an oversupply is the worst thing for a profession's autonomy and intellectual output?

Yes.

Are they clandestinely profiting from a labor glut through investments in lab corps and consult businesses?

Not so clandestinely, if you ask me.