USCAP/course show off pathologist.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denmark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am a bit too european/Non-US.
But I have attended some really great US pathology courses (USCAP).
But what strikes me is some US faculty members. They a so upbeat and talk about some slides and some tumors as it was great food or sex.

But 90% a great educators and the last 10% are also good but they give too much gas.
I could point at Elizabeth A. Montgomery and Jered G as some. They are great pathologist but they are Duracell Bunny.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
They have to be good salesman(woman) and showstoppers to attract customers, after all USCAP is charging $$ for the course. If you watch 10 minutes of TV from USA (especially the commercials) you'll know what I mean lol. It's a North American thing I guess, almost everything must be commercialized.

Part of it is self-selecting the personalities that want to stand up in front of a crowd and give repeated lectures on the same topic. Part of it is advertising themselves as potential consultants. Are you going to remember the person who cracks jokes and radiates energy or the dry, monotone lecturer that puts half the audience to sleep?

Even as a late 20's resident it was a real struggle to stay awake for some of the post-lunch talks at these conferences.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The more courses you attend over time, the more repetitive they get. That's why many pathologists slow down or stop attending them eventually. Some do it to just to take a new trip for themselves and/or their spouse and get CME reimbursement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Part of it might be self-selection of weirdos into pathology. I’m sure you all have stumbled across the cringefest that is pathology twitter. Lot’s of overeager autism spectrum personalities on there circlejerking over the differential diagnoses of spindle cell neoplasms.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Part of it might be self-selection of weirdos into pathology. I’m sure you all have stumbled across the cringefest that is pathology twitter. Lot’s of overeager autism spectrum personalities on there circlejerking over the differential diagnoses of spindle cell neoplasms.
These social media peeps just like their big egos stroked.

Reactions: 1 users
I thought it was always nice to have a real showman like Henry Appleman, Sharon Weiss…

tfw you really like Joel Greenson's lectures and appreciate his talent, but think his songs are mid...

tfw you really like Joel Greenson's lectures and appreciate his talent, but think his songs are mid...
Didn't know what “mid”, “gas” and “suss” meant. I had to ask my 16 year old nephew.

Kids nowadays message in three letter replies as well.

I actually decided not to attend a conference that Joel Greenson was lecturing at because I didn't want to be subjected to his songs a third time.

I like Myers but he needs to get out of that band. Here in the sticks we have a group of docs of various specialties in an outlaw country band. It is so cringy.

To be honest, I've abandoned USCAP. It's been overtaken by pathologists who pretend to be famous, but can't diagnose their left shoe if you put it in front of them. It's mutual masturbation over and over again.

• Haha
To be honest, I've abandoned USCAP. It's been overtaken by pathologists who pretend to be famous, but can't diagnose their left shoe if you put it in front of them. It's mutual masturbation over and over again.
What’s worse are the younger generation of dorky pathologists who wear bow ties. Cmon really bro?

• Haha
Been that way for 40 years.