Exercise Changes in Muscle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metallo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone mind clarifying for me what the changes in muscle are in response to exercise. I'm assuming it's different for aerobic vs. anaerobic training. I got a practice question today specifically asking about how weight lifting would affect the # of mitochondria, amount of actin per myocyte, and total number of myocytes over a 3 month period (increase, same, or decrease). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I don't know about anaerobic vs. aerobic, but if I had to guess I would think only aerobic would increase mitochondria. Actin or myofibrils or whatever should go up with any exercise long term. If the number of skeletal myocytes increases then you have a MIRACLE on your hands as they are postmitotic.

Read a book Read a book read a mother f*cking book! Linked! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

Look on page 357 of FA 2009, top of the page.

It has nothign to do with "doing exercise" but rather the "type of exercise." Weightlifting = Type 1, Anaerobic, Marathon running = Type 2, Aerobic (+myoglobin, +mitochondria, +red muscle, +slow twitch)