Exercise phys classes and science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FSUMED

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not applying until next year, but the question about the physio psych class made me wonder...will my class called Applied Exercise Physiology be counted the science GPA. It is pretty science intensive course including concepts of biochemistry, metabolism, and a lot of anatomy and stuff like that. What about intermediary metabolism of nutrients 1 and 2(includes lots of biochem, and nutrition), and biomechanics?...would they go into it as well? I read somewhere that it depends on the department that offers the class. All mmy classes are offered under the college of human sciences or by the physical ed dept For instance, we have two anatomy and phys classes here, one offered by my school(college of human sci) and another offered by the biology dept for nursing students and stuff...will that make a difference? They are vitually identical. Please post if you have any idea how these would factor in...and bear in mind I am talking about hardcore science classes in the exercise sci major, NOT the athletic training type courses.

Members don't see this ad.

Patrick,

I'm an Exercise Science major at Iowa, and I classified all of my Ex Sci classes as Biology. The AMCAS description of the various categories is pretty clear on what is and is not BCPM, but the bottom line is that if the majority of the course content is bio/chem, then it falls under those categories.

What about classes like biopsych. and behavioral neuroscience? Do those count under Science GPA?

Hey, don't go knocking on AT classes! It all depends on where you go to school. Where I went for under grad, all of our athletic training classes where much tougher than our exercise science classes.