exercise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alimarie81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have time to keep up an exercise program while in medical school and/or residency?

Members don't see this ad.

I go to the gym for 30 minutes before school each day. It's not much but I can't seem to find time to exercise in the afternoon. I know lots of people at my school who work out regularly. It's just a matter of priorities.

Depends what year you are talking about. If you're talking about 1st two years, if you stick to a good schedule of working out, going to class, and studying then excercising is not too difficult.

3rd and 4th years it may be easier for some and harder for some depending on the rotation that you are currently on. If you are on a hard surgery rotation then you're going to have little time, but if you're on an easy psych rotation then you'll have plenty of time. So far in my third year, I've had a lot of time to exercise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes...
Im a MSIII and have worked out for many years ( about 14 years). It is not difficult to do, it only has to be a priority to you. For me, its helps me study. It is also a good study break and is a great way to relieve stress.
I lift 6days a week for 45-60 minutes after classes/rotations, on a rotating schedule (meaning I have only 5 "days" during the week, but 1 body part gets hit 2x that week). During the winters, I do cardio in the am for 30-60minutes 2-3x week. In the spring/summer that will increase to 4-6xweek.
People do not need to workout as crazy as I do....I am a bodybuilder who has made it a priority to stay in shape. It is harder now on clinical rotations as my daily schedule/call schedule sometimes dictate I miss a workout.
stomper

I'm lucky to have a gym in the building I live in. I do the elliptical trainer for 60 minutes about 5 days a week.

Cool, Stomper!

Will you post of a picture yourself to inspire us to give up our comfort food binges and apathy?;)

Funny,
not now though....perhaps in the summer I will....I am just starting my weight loss for the year....Im sitting at 187# now...summertime weight usually sits nicely between 160-165#. So, the bulk (and belly) is a little on the big side....its time to say goodbye to carbs until october! :)
stomper

I work out 1 hour every morning before class (up @ 5:15 *yawn*). I could do it in the evening, but that would further take what little time I have left away from my wife and daughter. My grades havent suffered either.

Originally posted by Idiopathic
I work out 1 hour every morning before class (up @ 5:15 *yawn*). I could do it in the evening, but that would further take what little time I have left away from my wife and daughter. My grades havent suffered either.

Wow, That is dedication. Good for you. I hope I can adopt a similar schedule when I enter med school this fall. Exercise is the one thing that keeps me from stressing out.

The early morning workout routine seems quite popular here too...just, not for me :p