Exercise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyInitialsAreJC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive kept a regular excercise routine all summer, in the morning/afternoon before any studying - its been great for me but im wondering if its time to reprioritize and use that time to get to the library earlier.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I would keep exercising. Its gives me time to take my mind away from studying and honestly how big of a differece would an hour make.

Exercise. The days I decide NOT to exercise because I really feel that I need that one extra hour, I waste away thinking, I should have exercised....

It helps you to focus.

Exercising is good, but be very efficient about it. I love to exercise too, but I don't overdo it because it can be time consuming. If you feel as though you are not getting enough work done, it wouldn't be a bad idea to reprioritize.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been sedentary for about 6 months. Never felt better.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been sedentary for about 6 months. Never felt better.

I second this. Used to be a workout freak and someone who didn't feel good unless I had my workout in that day. Always trying to reach a higher level of fitness, but never attaining it. Would miss important things I should do to get my exercise. Then though injury I found I was overtraining. Overdeveloped some muscles and overused some joints. Took approximately 8 months off between work, MCAT and other endeavors and haven't felt better. I just keep a clean diet and mild cardio now.

So I answer you by saying don't make exercise your main priority. If you feel like you need to work out, then work out. If you feel fine and want to go for a big MCAT day, then study your bum off. Also make exercise fun. Go shoot hoops, disc golf, or cross country ski on roller blades.

Oh shoot. Really is a 9 yr old thread. I guess I just had to get that off my chest.

Oh shoot. Really is a 9 yr old thread. I guess I just had to get that off my chest.
Better out than in :p
And to be honest I wasn't totally sedentary. I did 30 minutes cycle / 30 minutes yoga once a week. But as a former high school athlete this wasn't really exercise :D Switched to a vegetarian diet and made sure I got enough sleep. No heavy drinking or staying out late. I found that with a good lifestyle, I didn't need exercise to be able to focus for 8+ hours on school and MCAT and what not. Although now that exams are done I really should hit the bike again (I have a 50 mile race in July)

Seems to increase general motivation across the board, for myself. A lot like caffeine, only without the caffeine. Just be careful with the resistance training. Joints/tendons/ligaments do have limits that the muscles don't. Form can be perfect, but even then....

This is why you do not (generally) see individuals 70+ benching 300+ or squatting 500+. No matter how comfortable you may be with it at the time, it's a time bomb.

I only play basketball at gym (very rarely but it looks as if I can go tonight, I'm happy with the prep I did this weekend and I should have some free time :)).

Eventually I want to get into weight lifting. I used to bench nearly double of what I do now back in high school. Time to get that strength back, :punch:, after graduation and MCAT in July :prof:!

I only play basketball at gym (very rarely but it looks as if I can go tonight, I'm happy with the prep I did this weekend and I should have some free time :)).

Eventually I want to get into weight lifting. I used to bench nearly double of what I do now back in high school. Time to get that strength back, :punch:, after graduation and MCAT in July :prof:!

Should lift as you study. I've been doing cleans/squats/pull-ups/and plyo along with a healthy diet while I studied, it definitely helps your mood. How can you beat free bodily produced morphine and increased body androgen release?

Should lift as you study. I've been doing cleans/squats/pull-ups/fun stuff and rating better while I studied, it definitely helps your mood. How can you beat free bodily produced morphine?

Too lazy :wacky:, have been doing pushups during breaks though.

I lift weights mainly because I eat a ton of food and I don't want to be fat.
I also despise cardio.
Hence, I just lift weights.
I do train at an olympic weightlifting gym (not crossfit lol) so I do a lot of snatches, C&J, variations of those, squats and squat variations.

Daily yoga, meditation, weight lifting, and clean eating has drastically improved my cognitive function. I wake up at 5 and do yoga/meditate for 1.5 hours then proceed with my normal day activities and lift weights at the end of the day. I find lifting weights as a stress/tension release, yoga establishes my much needed mind/body connection for mindful activity, and meditation culls toxic personality traits and removes almost any stress from my life whatsoever, and eating clean (tons of fruits and veggies and water) keeps my body functioning optimally. I would say through meditation, I have ascended to a higher level of information retention; it is crazy. It is important to stimulate your entire being (mind, body, and soul) as opposed to just one aspect of your nature (through only studying, or only working out). Keep on working out and keep on studying. It is good for you.

Reactions: 2 users