Exercises to help with back/neck pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sailor DDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! So I've been doing Vinyasa yoga lately to maintain my back for all the years to come, but I was wondering... what other exercises and activities are good for your back? :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

foam roller.

Reactions: 1 user
Squats and deadlifts. Trust me, you won't turn into the Hulk... I'm also a kinesiology major so I know a thing or two. ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! And uh, noob question.. Does high rep low weight count :joyful:? Or does it have to be high weight low rep?

If it's too light, it just becomes cardio. Just pull a weight where you can maybe hit 5-8 reps for if you're starting out.

Reactions: 1 users
It's good to work at different rep/weight ranges, and it keeps your workouts interesting. That said, the goal is to build strength and heavier weights = more strength.

Starting Strength and Practical Programming are good books to read if you're getting into lifting.

But yeah, squats and deadlifts will strengthen back.

just to elaborate on my earlier answer, do the following if your goal is improving and maintaining good posture

Stretch
-hip flexors
-chest
-quads

Strengthen
-hamstrings
-glutes
-core
-back (deadlifts, rows, hyperextensions)
-rear delts (facepulls)

if you do the above your back will thank you

I'd also suggest working with a physical/occupational therapist from the get go to make sure you are practicing proper posture, etc...hopefully your dental school also has PT/OT on campus and you can trade services. You both get patients to practice on!

Rows back ups sit ups Lat pull downs push ups pull ups they will all help core.

INVERSION TABLE!!!
I bough it a year ago and everyone in my family forgot what back pain is.
The best investment for your back ever.

INVERSION TABLE!!!
I bough it a year ago and everyone in my family forgot what back pain is.
The best investment for your back ever.

As cool as inversion tables are, just hanging from things upside down and/or doing hand/headstands is even cooler...

^^Handstands/headstands might be cool, but that's a terrible idea if you have neck or shoulder problems..