Exergonic/Endergonic/Catabolic/Anabolic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHopeful234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So here is the way I thought of this:

Exergonic: release heat
Endergonic: absorb heat
Catabolic: Break bonds
Anabolic: make bonds
Endothermic: absorb heat
exothermic: release heat

My problem: normally when we break bonds we say the molecule needs to ABSORB heat to break the bonds and therefore is endothermic.

However, evidently catabolic matches with exergonic and anabolic matches with endergonic

Can anyone clarify why this is? Is there a difference between exergonic and exothermic?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll try to explain the best I can so if anyone else can explain it better by all means help me out.

Yes catabolism is the breaking of bonds but in the human body during a catabolic process some bonds are broken but other bonds are being made made to form end products ie CO2 and H2O, and the net reaction is exothermic. The opposite is the case with anabolism.

Think of catabolism as combustion. During combustion paper or wood is being broken down ie bonds are being broken but at the same time massive amounts of CO2 and other chemicals are being formed ie bonds are being made. And the net result is exothermic or exergonic, which is why we feel heat.